Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 29 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which Lens Should I Take? Landing Airplanes

Bogino
472 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 29, 2018 12:33 |  #1

I'm heading over to the In n Out Burger next to LAX. I've heard it's a great spot to photograph landing planes. Question I'm not certain about: Which lens should I take? My 2 options are:

Canon 400mm F.5.6L
Canon 70-200mm F/2.8L IS II

The body I have is the 7D Mark II

Never shot landing planes before which is the reason for the question. I understand that those planes are pretty low once they're passing over In n Out.

Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
HammerCope
790 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2018 11:42 |  #2

This Might be a better question for the transportation section.

Pete
Canon 40D & 7D 24-70 F2.8 L 70-200 F4 L Norman 400B, AB800,AB1600 White Lighting 3200

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
472 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Apr 30, 2018 20:43 as a reply to  @ HammerCope's post |  #3

LOL. No wonder I got no responses. Didn't even realize it was in the "Sports" section. Oh well.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

smacatl
Goldmember
1,516 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 03, 2018 20:22 |  #4

Bogino wrote in post #18617056 (external link)
LOL. No wonder I got no responses. Didn't even realize it was in the "Sports" section. Oh well.

Reported to the Mod’s. You should get some quality responses once this gets to the right Forum.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

cicopo
Goldmember
3,440 posts
Gallery: 174 photos
Joined Mar 2007

May 04, 2018 09:42 |  #5

400 will likely be too long so take the zoom. If they are jets use a high shutter speed if the background is sky but a lower one when there's a background you can blur with a smooth pan as you shoot. If any have props stay below 1/250 for prop blur because engine speeds will be reduced for landings.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,827 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

May 04, 2018 09:49 |  #6

'It depends!' upon what you MEAN by a 'landing jet' photo, compounded by just how far you are from the airplanes! Are you trying to achieve this...

https://www.google.com …=1.1#imgrc=D6Sm​PkCPeMaQ0M (external link): or are you trying to acheive this...

https://www.google.com …=1.1#imgrc=J5Hb​PLPLmO_WiM (external link):

?

400mm on APS-C body sees 400' horizontal at 1 mile. 200mm on APS-C body sees 260' at 1/3 mile

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,884 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Oct 2010

May 09, 2018 05:47 |  #7

70-200 would be my first choice.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,892 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 14, 2018 04:19 |  #8

This is one of those questions that really needs local knowledge. I would take the zoom, since on the whole modern airliners are pretty big. If the location allows you to get on the runway centerline just outside the airport, and close to the threshold, then you might even want something like a 17-40 or even a fisheye.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,867 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2018 11:16 |  #9

I would "take" both, and then use the one that works best for the location and your shooting style. I'd probably walk out the door with the 400mm mounted.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
7,757 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 10, 2018 22:12 |  #10

the OP has most likely found out from personal exp. the answer to his question by now. My 2cents,,,a 400mm is often too long ,,,and planes move fast,,,a 70-200 or 100-400 is your friend. Of course if you have to stay well away from the runways a 400mm might be ok. In late spring to early fall heat haze and airborne pollution can seriously work against you.

I think I thought I thunk,,just before I made a stunk !

sponsored links

2,413 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which Lens Should I Take? Landing Airplanes
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.