Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 29 Apr 2018 (Sunday) 15:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Data Storage During Month Long Trip

SYS
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 29, 2018 15:16 |  #1

When I take a month long trip overseas this summer, I do plan on taking lots of photographs, mostly vacation journal type, and some videos, too.

For storage solutions, I'm thinking about taking 1) a 2TB external hardrive as a backup storage solution, and 2) multiple SanDisk 32GB memory cards, enough that each would serve as a storage, i.e., no erasing or formatting any of these cards. One card gets full, move onto the next card. The idea basically is that these cards are cheap enough now that I can adopt "all the eggs in multiple baskets" as opposed to one basket. Also, less weight and space in transporting these. Combined these two methods, I'd feel secure not losing any images. I also plan on editing as I go and store jpeg images in my 13" Dell XPS, so essentially 3 storage methods.

Since I plan on purchasing several 32GB memory cards, I just want to run this by you folks first before ordering them to ensure that I'm getting what I need for my purpose. I don't plan on doing any burst shoots, so no need for "Extreme Pro" level cards at unnecessary extra cost. As stated, only "say cheese" vacation journal photos and some videos. The following is what I plan on ordering: SanDisk 32 GB Ultra PLUS Class 10 UHS-1 SDHC Memory Card with 80 MB/s for $12.99 each. 80 MB/s should be plenty for HD video, right?

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Apr 29, 2018 15:38 |  #2

I have always (for the big trips) done what you are planning re: memory cards. Try to pack enough that I won't need to re-use any. Most compact method of carrying around your data IMHO. I pack a LOT. Even old slow ones, so that I can;t run out. The only time I ever did was my first trip to Africa back in 2006 when A: I shot too much :) B; I had not done it before so didn't know how much I'd need, C: Cards were Pricey!

IF I know I will have some access to electricity, and IF I think I will have downtime, I will also pack a portable HD and laptop when I can. I have never done any editing or even sharing on these trips, other than an odd shot or two, as I spend my time in the now, in the real world. Everything else can wait.

No idea on Video speeds, but I use mostly Sandisk "Ultra" flavors for the reasons you mention.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 29, 2018 16:16 |  #3

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18616057 (external link)
I have always (for the big trips) done what you are planning re: memory cards. Try to pack enough that I won't need to re-use any. Most compact method of carrying around your data IMHO. I pack a LOT. Even old slow ones, so that I can;t run out. The only time I ever did was my first trip to Africa back in 2006 when A: I shot too much :) B; I had not done it before so didn't know how much I'd need, C: Cards were Pricey!

IF I know I will have some access to electricity, and IF I think I will have downtime, I will also pack a portable HD and laptop when I can. I have never done any editing or even sharing on these trips, other than an odd shot or two, as I spend my time in the now, in the real world. Everything else can wait.

No idea on Video speeds, but I use mostly Sandisk "Ultra" flavors for the reasons you mention.

Thanks, Jake. I got this very light Dell XPS 13" a few months ago specifically for editing while traveling, and I'm very happy with my decision although there are some minor compromises I had to, and was willing to, make. The portable hard drives have not only come down in prices since I last went on an overseas trip about a decade ago but it has come down in size and weight while storage power has increased by a lot. Less to carry, less the hassle, and better for my aging body. For $12.99 per 32GB 80 MB/s card, I can get a bunch without hurting my bank account.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,777 posts
Gallery: 1161 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited 3 months ago by MalVeauX. (2 edits in all)

Apr 29, 2018 16:37 |  #4

Personally I would just take memory cards. The point of a trip is to enjoy the experience, and not fiddle with computers, drivers, gear. You can put an extra battery in your pocket, and an extra SD card in your pocket, and take up very little space and weight and have all you need. Just take a couple of them. Video will eat up capacity. But still photos frankly will not take that much. 32~64gb cards are inexpensive, virtually weather proof (no losing a hard drive to a splash of water or dunk), and take up no space/weight really. Fill one up, move on to the next. Way better odds of taking damage and coming out fine, compared to a hard disk with a platter that can be messed up, damaged, and effected by moisture/water.

Class 10 is all you need for standard 1080p 30fps video, you don't even need that for still shooting at low FPS. Just be mindful not to get fake cards, lots of fakes on Amazon and elsewhere, so read the comments that are recent.

32Gb can hold like 1700 RAW 18MP images, right? Or somewhere around there?
I would think 100+ images a day would be excessive even. So you should be fine with a handful of cards.
Not like you're going to ever want to review and cull and sift through 15,000 photos by doing 500 shots for 30 days straight. Right?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,335 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 29, 2018 16:51 |  #5

Are you traveling to a place with internet access? If so, why not just upload every night? Much easier and more secure. If not, the portable HD seems a good solution.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,680 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 17:38 |  #6

SYS wrote in post #18616074 (external link)
Thanks, Jake. I got this very light Dell XPS 13" a few months ago specifically for editing while traveling, and I'm very happy with my decision although there are some minor compromises I had to, and was willing to, make. The portable hard drives have not only come down in prices since I last went on an overseas trip about a decade ago but it has come down in size and weight while storage power has increased by a lot. Less to carry, less the hassle, and better for my aging body. For $12.99 per 32GB 80 MB/s card, I can get a bunch without hurting my bank account.

I also have a Dell XPS 13, and it is wonderful.

I travel with a 32 or 64 GB SD card and transfer photos from it to the laptop every night. After culling (if I have the time), I back up to a 1 TB external HD. No need for a lot of cards. One or two spares is plenty.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,680 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Joined May 2008

Apr 29, 2018 17:51 |  #7

I should add that it depends on the trip. Sometimes I don't take the laptop. Then I use a 128 GB card. I've never filled it. But I like to have the laptop. Besides the pic files, it has travel documents, maps and other tourist info, camera manuals, etc. Besides, it is great for connecting to the internet to stay in touch.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 29, 2018 21:19 |  #8

Thanks everyone for your helpful responses and comments. I'm going to the country with the fastest and omnipresent Internet access. :-P

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,335 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 29, 2018 21:29 |  #9

SYS wrote in post #18616261 (external link)
Thanks everyone for your helpful responses and comments. I'm going to the country with the fastest and omnipresent Internet access. :-P

Then cloud it. Upload your data nightly and you don't have to worry about loosing a chip or drive.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 29, 2018 21:35 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #18616268 (external link)
Then cloud it. Upload your data nightly and you don't have to worry about loosing a chip or drive.

That's an option I'll consider.

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,334 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 3 months ago by Wilt.

Apr 30, 2018 09:51 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #11

I have found, during my travels over multiple years on both business and pleasure, that the internet access provided at hotels is often quite questionable in speed. In some cases you have to pay extra for higher-speed, but in other cases it simply is not available at speeds to support massive data transfer.
And third world vs first world has nothing to do with it. I have experienced hotel internet speed issues in Germany France and in Australia.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,334 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 30, 2018 09:57 |  #12

I like to bring a laptop during trips for internet connectivity to email. I never edit images on a laptop, although I do like reviewing the days images on the larger screen of a laptop. I like to have data redundancy of copying my CF cards to an external SSD drive... SSD is less prone to mechanical shock ihazards that are associated with hard drives.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 30, 2018 10:42 |  #13

Wilt wrote in post #18616626 (external link)
I like to have data redundancy of copying my CF cards to an external SSD drive... SSD is less prone to mechanical shock ihazards that are associated with hard drives.

Would love to get one of these tiny Samsung portable SSD drive, but I'm going to wait until the price comes down to below $100 level for 1TB, which won't happen for a few more years, so that'll have to be for my next overseas trip....

https://www.amazon.com …ords=samsung+po​rtable+ssd (external link)

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,062 posts
Joined May 2003

Apr 30, 2018 13:00 |  #14

Your location is "Gilligan's Island". Where exactly is that, do you have a Best Buy near by. I would just purchase the needed cards there.

SYS
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,972 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 30, 2018 13:03 |  #15

John from PA wrote in post #18616744 (external link)
Your location is "Gilligan's Island". Where exactly is that, do you have a Best Buy near by. I would just purchase the needed cards there.

Yes, there's a BestBuy in Gilligan's Island, but I need to use the reward money I got from Adorama. I have just enough reward money to get 3 cards. :lol:

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

1,145 views & 3 likes for this thread
Data Storage During Month Long Trip
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.