Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
Thread started 30 Apr 2018 (Monday) 08:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND chvvkumar (showing now: chvvkumar)
Overall Rating7
Overall Image Quality9.5
Value for Money9.5
Must Have6.5
Suitability to Intended Use10
Got What I Expected9.5
AF Performance9
Handling and Ergonomics10
User-interface10
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Canon EOS 6D Mark II

Canon EOS 6D Mark II, reviewed by chvvkumar

chvvkumar
254 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Oct 2014

Apr 30, 2018 08:45 |  #1

I upgraded from a beloved 60D to the 6DMKII. This is my first full frame I own(although, I used the 6D a lot as well).

My main reasons for going with this body were:

1. Price: I got the body in the 2017 Black Friday deal along with a grip and a Pixma 1000 for $1300. I was waiting for the price to drop and I couldn't pass this up.

2. Tilt screen: I got so much use out of the tilt screen on my 60D for landscapes and milky-way shots that this sealed the deal in favor of the 6DMKII over the 5DIV.

3. AF improvements: I find the AF to be good for my use case (birds, ocassional BIF and wildlife)

So far I love the camera but the biggest thing I wished Canon thought of is spreading out the AF points more and adding a joystick for AF point selection.

www.kumarchalla.com

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,989 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by RPCrowe.

May 07, 2018 17:12 |  #2

chvvkumar wrote in post #18616573 (external link)
I upgraded from a beloved 60D to the 6DMKII. This is my first full frame I own(although, I used the 6D a lot as well).

My main reasons for going with this body were:

1. Price: I got the body in the 2017 Black Friday deal along with a grip and a Pixma 1000 for $1300. I was waiting for the price to drop and I couldn't pass this up.

2. Tilt screen: I got so much use out of the tilt screen on my 60D for landscapes and milky-way shots that this sealed the deal in favor of the 6DMKII over the 5DIV.

3. AF improvements: I find the AF to be good for my use case (birds, ocassional BIF and wildlife)

So far I love the camera but the biggest thing I wished Canon thought of is spreading out the AF points more and adding a joystick for AF point selection.

I find the 6D2 just barely adequate in the area of autofocus (dual pixel focus in live view excepted). IMO, my 6D2 doesn't hold a candle to the 7D2 in that\\e area of through the lens auto focus. My main complaint is the one that you mentioned above as the "biggest thing you wished".

I have just finished shooting some Mexican Folklorico Dancers using the 6D2 with a 70-200mm lens. I was shooting in the vertical (portrait) position and chose the highest AF point in the 6D2 array which would hit the dancers right about in the chest rather than the face where I wanted the focus. I was using Ai Servo so I couldn't focus and recompose

Craig Atkinson, a South African wildlife photographer suggested this method to use Ai Servo and do a focus and recompose:

"We focus using the shutter button. We configure the AF-On button on the back of the camera to work as an AF-Off button. When we are in Ai Servo, we can focus with the shutter, but should we need to lock the AF point (as occasionally happens when we are in Ai Servo and we cannot place a focus point over the subject) when we need to recompose, we can accomplish this simply by pressing the AF-On button. Focus will be temporarily halted so long as we keep the AF-On button depressed."

This is sort a reverse of the "back button focus" method. However, it is a sorry thing when a camera at that price point (I got the same sale as you did and got a Canon battery grip, a 64 GB SD card and 50 sheets of Canon A3+ size paper for that price)) is so limited.

If I had my Hoodman Loupe with me, I could have had it attached to the camera with the elastic cord (supplied at a very inflated price by Hoodman but, I got mine at another Black Friday Sale years ago). Then I could have used the LCD as an eye level viewfinder with dual pixel, face detection auto focus. However, I was lost without the Hoodman because the bright sun from over my shoulder completely obscured the LCD of the 6D2....

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

chvvkumar
THREAD ­ STARTER
254 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 08, 2018 07:50 |  #3

RPCrowe wrote in post #18621417 (external link)
I find the 6D2 just barely adequate in the area of autofocus (dual pixel focus in live view excepted). IMO, my 6D2 doesn't hold a candle to the 7D2 in that\\e area of through the lens auto focus. My main complaint is the one that you mentioned above as the "biggest thing you wished".

I have just finished shooting some Mexican Folklorico Dancers using the 6D2 with a 70-200mm lens. I was shooting in the vertical (portrait) position and chose the highest AF point in the 6D2 array which would hit the dancers right about in the chest rather than the face where I wanted the focus. I was using Ai Servo so I couldn't focus and recompose

Craig Atkinson, a South African wildlife photographer suggested this method to use Ai Servo and do a focus and recompose:

"We focus using the shutter button. We configure the AF-On button on the back of the camera to work as an AF-Off button. When we are in Ai Servo, we can focus with the shutter, but should we need to lock the AF point (as occasionally happens when we are in Ai Servo and we cannot place a focus point over the subject) when we need to recompose, we can accomplish this simply by pressing the AF-On button. Focus will be temporarily halted so long as we keep the AF-On button depressed."

This is sort a reverse of the "back button focus" method. However, it is a sorry thing when a camera at that price point (I got the same sale as you did and got a Canon battery grip, a 64 GB SD card and 50 sheets of Canon A3+ size paper for that price)) is so limited.

If I had my Hoodman Loupe with me, I could have had it attached to the camera with the elastic cord (supplied at a very inflated price by Hoodman but, I got mine at another Black Friday Sale years ago). Then I could have used the LCD as an eye level viewfinder with dual pixel, face detection auto focus. However, I was lost without the Hoodman because the bright sun from over my shoulder completely obscured the LCD of the 6D2....

I don't have experience with the 7D MKII. My perspective is of someone coming from the 60D (own) and the 6D (rented a lot) so AF performance was in relation to these two older bodies. But I was at one point considering the 7DMKII though. But since the sensor on it and the 60D, which I have extensive experience with, are pretty similar, AF was not the only priority for my use case. For me the upgrade to FF and the sensor was worth the lower AF performance relative to the 7D MKII.

As for the focusing method you mentioned, I never thought of that, I will try it out! Thanks!

www.kumarchalla.com

ct1co2
Goldmember
2,334 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 13, 2018 11:49 |  #4

Went from a 70D to a 7DII then added the 6DII to the mix a few months ago.

Have to agree with point 2. I am also a fan and user of the flip screen.

The AF was actually a bit of a pleasant surprise (for me). Just for grins I decided to try it in lieu of the 7DII for some osprey I am following, and was really happy with the flight tracking ability. Have since used it with a couple hawks and owls. The 7DII AF is clearly more robust and configurable, but the 6DII performed better than expected.

The spread of the AF points was not quite as bad as I expected when I got it, however I did not really challenge the outer points on the 70D that much when I had it. Agree if the spread was wider, that would be a positive, however for someone that tends to generally live closer to the middle’ish area of the frame, it does pretty well. I do like how you can set it up for different points depending on the orientation.

I also appreciate the low light ability vs. the 7DII. I’ve gotten some high ISO really low shutter speed post sunset shots of owlets that I believe the 7DII would have struggled with.

7D2 | 6D2 | 10-22 | 15-85is | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 16-35isL | 24-70isL | 35is | 50stm | 85 1.8 | 70-300L | Σ150-600 C | 430ex |

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

974 views & 2 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 6D Mark II, reviewed by chvvkumar
FORUMS Gear Reviews Camera Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.