Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 May 2018 (Wednesday) 18:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Starting photography business - health insurance for self employed

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2017

May 03, 2018 19:15 |  #16

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18618524 (external link)
In Michigan, I had Blue Cross & they raised the rate from $130/mo to $250/mo, which is still better than the rate you have.

One thing that you should be aware of is that Ins. companies don't pay "retail". I've seen them pay a negotiated rate of 90% off the original hospital rate that I would have been charged for a procedure. So there is a hidden value to having insurance if your future company has the same practice.

And sometimes joining a Professional Organization will provide access to a discounted premium.

Thank you very much for replying and providing the info.

sponsored links
Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jul 2017

May 03, 2018 19:16 |  #17

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18618681 (external link)
This is a VERY important issue and one that every aspiring freelancer needs to consider. This is probably the main reason why folks in the States keep their day jobs.

You could open a separate bank account for health care reasons. I’ve also heard that some hospitals will negotiate pricing if you are paying with cash.

Not having insurance is really not an option because the ACA makes you have it or you get penalized (individual mandate)... unless that was voted out recently, so hard to follow as it seems to change.

Perhaps someday we will wake up and realize that universal healthcare is how modern civilized nations take care of their people. Until then we will continue to be sick and sometimes go bankrupt due to unfortunate circumstance.

Thank you for replying and I agree.

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jul 2017

May 03, 2018 19:17 |  #18

wunhang wrote in post #18618768 (external link)
Keep in mind that the premiums are the overall price paid to the insurance company. If your income falls below certain levels, you get a subsidy to help pay that premium. I suggest you go over your options with one of the NY State healthcare advisors that can help you navigate the marketplace and your options.

Thanks so much for replying, good idea I'll look into it.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,832 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 03, 2018 22:15 |  #19

IF we had a universal healthcare more people would be able to make the leap and try and work for themselves. Yes there are those that game the system, but I think there are many more that have high self esteem and want to actually lead productive lifestyles and contribute to our society as a whole. I don't have answers but I do know that our current system simply does not work... not just health care but education and infrastructure as well.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 04, 2018 04:44 |  #20

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18619087 (external link)
IF we had a universal healthcare more people would be able to make the leap and try and work for themselves. Yes there are those that game the system, but I think there are many more that have high self esteem and want to actually lead productive lifestyles and contribute to our society as a whole. I don't have answers but I do know that our current system simply does not work... not just health care but education and infrastructure as well.

Disagree. Don't get me wrong; I am mad as hell that I have to pay for things others could pay for themselves. Those people are NOT the problem. They are not GAMING the system. The problem is that the SYSTEM is BROKEN.

My dog will crap on the carpet if I don't let her outside. That does not make it her fault.

Tom

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,585 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

May 04, 2018 04:51 |  #21

Bassat wrote in post #18619216 (external link)
FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18619087 (external link)

Disagree. Don't get me wrong; I am mad as hell that I have to pay for things others could pay for themselves. Those people are NOT the problem. They are not GAMING the system. The problem is that the SYSTEM is BROKEN.

My dog will crap on the carpet if I don't let her outside. That does not make it her fault.

Remember, no politics talk in POTN.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,896 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 04, 2018 04:54 |  #22

Pekka wrote in post #18619221 (external link)
Remember, no politics talk in POTN.

As is should be. Done.

Tom

sponsored links

1,375 views & 11 likes for this thread
Starting photography business - health insurance for self employed
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.