Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 13 May 2018 (Sunday) 08:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fall Trip Advice

setagate
328 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 13, 2018 08:49 |  #1

I live in south Florida and would like to take trip for landscape photos in areas with beautiful foliage colors next October. I had been thinking of the Smoky Mountains, but I understand from the online comments I’ve seen that the Park will be very crowded and it might be difficult to find a motel room unless the itinerary is planned far in advance.

I would prefer to avoid crowds as much as possible and I’d like to make up my mind where I want to stay when I’m there and can view the actual conditions at that time, not a few months earlier. I guess this would probably rule out the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

I would be very interested any suggestions for other scenic areas in the Southeast that might not be as well-known or as crowded. Thank you very much for any help.

Bob

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Joined May 2003

May 13, 2018 11:01 |  #2

setagate wrote in post #18624907 (external link)
I live in south Florida and would like to take trip for landscape photos in areas with beautiful foliage colors next October. Bob

What is the preferred mode of travel? Are you open to suggestions that would require flying, something like the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone for instance?

setagate
THREAD ­ STARTER
328 posts
Gallery: 166 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 13, 2018 11:38 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #18624962 (external link)
What is the preferred mode of travel? Are you open to suggestions that would require flying, something like the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone for instance?

I was thinking of driving or flying to some place maybe in the Carolinas, Tennessee or Alabama.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,066 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA.

May 13, 2018 14:47 |  #4

Charleston can be wonderful! Lots to do but stay on Mt. Pleasant to reduce lodging and food costs. Savannah is on the way as well.

limping_decorum
94 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 07, 2018 05:37 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #18624962 (external link)

i live in charlotte.....fly to denver to see my brother....then drive to wyoming/montana in late sept/oct for the off season.

not drowning...just waving.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,093 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 2 months ago by Picture North Carolina. (2 edits in all)

Jun 07, 2018 09:21 |  #6

Blue Ridge Parkway. 469 miles, not one stop sign or traffic light. starts in VA ends in NC. Spectacular color - why its called "America's Favorite Drive."

But the big problem is travel logistics. Colors turn by elevation more than by North / South. Higher elevations such as Pisgah Forest in NC (between asheville and charokee) will change sooner than lower elevations in the North such as around the James River in VA. So you'll have to plan by elevation - zipping here and zipping there. Pick one spot? My favorite is the higher elevations in the Pisgah Forest such as Graveyard Fields (external link) (milepost 419) and north and south on the parkway from there. Can be unbelievably spectacular. Colors, waterfalls, hikes, totally worth it. Wherever you go - happy shooting.

Edit: but check things (external link). Parts of parkway closed now due to storm damage. Should be open by October, but still...

Parkway images (external link)

Website (external link) |

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 28, 2018 10:29 |  #7

setagate wrote in post #18624907 (external link)
I live in south Florida and would like to take trip for landscape photos in areas with beautiful foliage colors next October.

I would prefer to avoid crowds as much as possible and I’d like to make up my mind where I want to stay when I’m there and can view the actual conditions at that time, not a few months earlier.

I would be very interested any suggestions for other scenic areas in the Southeast that might not be well-known or crowded.

Bob

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18640806 (external link)
Blue Ridge Parkway. 469 miles, not one stop sign or traffic light. starts in VA ends in NC. Spectacular color - why its called "America's Favorite Drive." Can be unbelievably spectacular. Colors, waterfalls, hikes, totally worth it.

I agree with PNC - the Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome! . And it seems like it would fit your preferred method of travel - where you wait until you see things to decide where to spend more time and where to spend less time. . The Parkway passes by some big towns like Asheville, NC, as well as many smaller towns ....... so there are many different places to look for lodging and meals along the way, without having to drive more than an hour from the Parkway itself.

setagate wrote in post #18624976 (external link)
I was thinking of driving or flying to some place maybe in the Carolinas, Tennessee or Alabama.

West Virginia may be further than you want to go, but if you're open to going that far, there are many really spectacular areas that are definitely on roads less traveled. The New River Gorge sprawls over many miles and is fantastic, especially in the fall.

Specific areas in the Gorge that are well worth visiting are:

The historic town/ruins of Thurmond and Glen Jean - read the history, it's fascinating!

Babcock State Park - the mill is a famous photographic subject, but the surrounding woods are spectacular in their own right

Sandstone Falls - the falls are huge and forceful, and you can hike out onto islands that are right in the middle of them

McKendree Road, a little gravel road that parallels the river through some of the most rugged parts of the canyon. If you want "less crowded', this will surely please you.

Also in West Virginia is the Dolly Sods Natural Area / Wilderness. . It is an alpine area with unique vegetation and climate dynamics.

The South Branch of the Potomac River flows north from central WV to northern WV, where it forms the main stem of the Potomac. A route paralleling the South Branch for a hundred miles or so, especially toward its upstream end, will take you through some unique and beautiful country.

There're a lot more autumn opportunities in WV, and none of them will be crowded - if you're interested, just ask me for more places and more details.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

447 views & 3 likes for this thread
Fall Trip Advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.