Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 May 2018 (Sunday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 7D Mk II - File Naming Oddities

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 16, 2018 08:28 |  #16

apersson850 wrote in post #18626010 (external link)
Does this imply that you popped up the flash manually? It wasn't a mode where it deploys automatically?

I don't have any 7D Mark II, so I can't repeat the procedure to see if I get the same result.

It was manually engaged.

I have since switched the unit from AdobeRGB to sRGB ..... and have went out and about shooting, trying my best to do the things I did on the cruise ..... switching modes, flash on/off and the like ..... and so far cannot duplicate the naming issue.

I made about 25 changes in camera menu setting prior to the cruise, trying to configure it to what would be the best for all around use.

The only reason I was in AdobeRGB was that I read where the histogram display was more accurate as opposed to being in sRGB.

I shoot only in RAW and honestly use the histogram view randomly.

I feel that the camera is fine ..... now ..... but will continue to exercise it hard for a few days before the return period expires.

My next step will be to identify and but the lenses that will perform the best on the 7D II and it's sensor.

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 16, 2018 08:30 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18625838 (external link)
Truly weird.

It is perplexing and it made the workflow a little more difficult .... I was happy someone posted that thread about it from two years ago on DP Review.

I signed up there just to be able to PM that poster and see what if anything they found out.

RodS57
699 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 20, 2018 23:07 |  #18

Not a file naming problem, just a question to satisfy my curiosity.

My 7D2 generates a file name along the lines of xxIAx####
If I change the prefix to xxIBx will the file numbers remain in sequence
So if before prefix change file name is xxIAx0033
After the prefix change can I expect the file name to be xxIBx0034

Not a show stopper but files copied to my iPad are with original files names and duplicates won't work. Right now I do the name edit manually but it amounts to a very small number of files so...

Again, just curious.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,822 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 22, 2018 12:50 |  #19

I haven't tried it, but I think so. But the file names can't be five letters and then four digits?

Anders

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,044 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 7D Mk II - File Naming Oddities
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.