Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 May 2018 (Monday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me to choose between these lenses

Yamsy
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 14, 2018 19:05 |  #1

Hi, i'm trying to get a new lens that is going to be my go-to lens for Landscape photography and astrophotography. I currently own a Canon Eos 70D. I do a lot of traveling in my free time and need a lens that is going to survive all sorts of climates from the wet countryside of ireland, to the arctic north of norway, to the desert of egypt to the jungles of costa rica. All of those places I travel to and many more, and will need something that is going to last. I don't think i'd have the camera out if its pouring rain or snowing heavy, and next march i plan on going up to Tromso, Norway within the arctic circle to photograph the aurora borealis, so it's definitely going to be below -10 with the wind chill and all. I would like to travel to some more remote areas in-between then and now and capture some milky way shots. But like i said before, i don't take the camera out if the weather is snowing or raining too heavy, i don't want to break anything after all.

I've chatted with several members of the b&h photo staff and have gotten mixed results. I am going to list the four lenses I have narrowed it down to and i beg you to please not recommend any more lenses haha. I've been at this search for a few days now and cannot tell you how many lenses i've researched up and down. I really just need people's two cents on each of these and what they would choose.

In the end i just want the clearest, sharpest, most durable lens I can get that's going to capture those stunning landscape vistas, crisp nighttime shots, and milky way pictures as clearly as possible.

Lens 1:Tokina AT-X 11-20mm f/2.8 PRO DX Lens for Canon EF
Comments: I hear the lens has sharp photos and is very wide, but feels cheap. Not weather sealed.

Lens 2:Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art Lens for Canon EF
Comments: I hear this lens takes sharper photos, but autofocus can be and issue and cannot maintain focus in cold temperatures. Not weather sealed.

Lens 3:Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Lens
Comments: I hear that this lens isn't fully sharp until about f/11, but I haven't read too much into it yet. Weather sealed.

Lens 4:Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM Lens
Comments: I haven't read much about this lens, but my only concern it only goes up to f/4 where as the others can hit f/1.8 and f/2.8. Weather sealed.

I suppose after reading that review on the cold issue with the Sigma it's down to the two canons and the Tokina, but I thought i'd list them all and get as much information and feedback as I can. Thank you all!

sponsored links
Ah-keong
664 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 14, 2018 21:21 |  #2

the Sigma is a good lens for astrophotography.

the Tokina is a good lens for both landscape and astrophotography.

the Canon is a good option for full frame, I would not recommend for cropped sensors bodies.  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 14, 2018 21:30 |  #3

My UWA zooms on aps-c are Sigma 8-16mm and Tokina 11-20. Nothing wrong with either of them.

Tom

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 14, 2018 22:05 as a reply to  @ Ah-keong's post |  #4

Both of the Canons or just one or?

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 14, 2018 22:07 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #5

Even in more harsh weather the Tokina works well?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,840 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 14, 2018 23:48 |  #6

if the budget includes the option of the 11-24mm...you should just get a FF camera, and one of the 14mm lenses...and a 16-35IS...i guess i didn't follow you're rules of not offering up other options

personally i doubt the durability of any of the options would be much of an issue...i think the 11-20f2.8 would be the best all around for what you are trying to do...gives you wide, and fast

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 14, 2018 23:57 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #7

I’m kind of leaning towards the Tokina now, I appreciate the feedback thank you

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 15, 2018 07:30 |  #8

The Sigma 12-24 II 95% of the 11-24L for 20% of the price. The Sigma 8-16 is better (wider) than either of them, on crop cameras.
If you are worried about protecting your gear, leave it in the closet. It will be safe there. Lots of people live where you are going. Their cameras are exposed to all that, regularly.

Tom

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 15, 2018 07:33 |  #9

Yamsy wrote in post #18625886 (external link)
I’m kind of leaning towards the Tokina now, I appreciate the feedback thank you

I like my 11-20 enough to have bought it twice. But it fails when you need really wide and/or extreme DOF. Consider the Sigma 8-16, too.

Tom

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 15, 2018 08:33 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #10

How does the 8-16 perform with DoF? Only thing I’d be concerned about with the 8-16 is the maximum aperture of f/4.5. especially if I’m going to be shooting Astro I don’t think that’s going to be enough. I really don’t think I should go more than f/2.8

Bassat
7,931 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Bassat. (2 edits in all)

May 15, 2018 09:10 |  #11

Yamsy wrote in post #18626044 (external link)
How does the 8-16 perform with DoF? Only thing I’d be concerned about with the 8-16 is the maximum aperture of f/4.5. especially if I’m going to be shooting Astro I don’t think that’s going to be enough. I really don’t think I should go more than f/2.8

I don't do astro, but for sure, faster would be better. I mostly shoot the 8-16 at f/8-f/16. At HFD, everything from 1' to infinity is in focus.

Tom

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 15, 2018 09:34 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #12

Awesome, appreciate your help thanks a bunch.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 15, 2018 09:55 |  #13

Will this be the only lens you have with you?

I personally could not travel with only a wide or ultra-wide lens. However, I realize that some people like a wide angle lens well enough that they are happy with that as their only lens.

I personally like to begin my lens arsenal with a mid-range zoom that has a constant f/stop of f/2.8 and then flesh out my collection by getting a lens on either side of this mid range zoom.

I personally use a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina as my go-to wide lens. I don't do astro-photography so the f/4 is just fine for me.

I don't understand the comment that the 11-20mm f/2.8 Tokina "feels cheap":rolleyes: The one thing about all my Tokina lenses (I presently have two and have previously used another) is that they are built like tanks. This sentiment seems to be echoed in just about every review I have ever read about this brand of lens.

I once sold cameras in a camera store and the recommendation of that store always directed customers towards cameras that we earned the most profit in selling...

Right now, my travel kit includes a pair of cameras: Canon 7D2 and Canon 6D2 along with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as my medium focal length glass, the 12-24mm as my wide angle (although the 12-24mm Tokina was designed for APSC format cameras, it has an EF mount and can be used on full frame cameras from about 17-24mm) and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

With the exception of macro work and long-range telephoto, this kit has served me quite well for any venue...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Yamsy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined May 2018

May 15, 2018 11:36 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #14

I also heard from other reviews that it was well built and actually quite heavy so I didn’t really understand the “Tokina feels cheaply made review”. That being said this would not be my only lens, I would also bring along my Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens for general shots, and I would use the Tokina with a tripod for landscape and Milky Way shots

mcoren
462 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2015

May 15, 2018 12:52 |  #15

Yamsy wrote in post #18626044 (external link)

Wide angle lenses give more DoF inherently. There are online DoF calculators where you can play with the numbers. 8mm f/4.5 on a crop sensor has a hyperfocal distance of less than three feet.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

sponsored links

1,167 views & 8 likes for this thread
Please help me to choose between these lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.