Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 May 2018 (Monday) 19:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please help me to choose between these lenses

Ah-keong
664 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 15, 2018 20:49 |  #16

Yamsy wrote in post #18626044 (external link)
How does the 8-16 perform with DoF? Only thing I’d be concerned about with the 8-16 is the maximum aperture of f/4.5. especially if I’m going to be shooting Astro I don’t think that’s going to be enough. I really don’t think I should go more than f/2.8

At one point, I did consider the Sigma 8-16mm for landscape. But the inability to attach screw on ND filters and CPL made me look at other options.

For Astro, a prime with large aperture would be better.
 :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,907 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 15, 2018 21:40 |  #17

Yamsy wrote in post #18626044 (external link)
How does the 8-16 perform with DoF? Only thing I’d be concerned about with the 8-16 is the maximum aperture of f/4.5. especially if I’m going to be shooting Astro I don’t think that’s going to be enough. I really don’t think I should go more than f/2.8

Ah-keong wrote in post #18626454 (external link)
At one point, I did consider the Sigma 8-16mm for landscape. But the inability to attach screw on ND filters and CPL made me look at other options.

For Astro, a prime with large aperture would be better.

Which options?

Tom

Ah-keong
664 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by Ah-keong.

May 15, 2018 21:51 |  #18

RPCrowe wrote in post #18626097 (external link)
Will this be the only lens you have with you?

I personally could not travel with only a wide or ultra-wide lens. However, I realize that some people like a wide angle lens well enough that they are happy with that as their only lens.

I personally like to begin my lens arsenal with a mid-range zoom that has a constant f/stop of f/2.8 and then flesh out my collection by getting a lens on either side of this mid range zoom.

I personally use a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina as my go-to wide lens. I don't do astro-photography so the f/4 is just fine for me.

I don't understand the comment that the 11-20mm f/2.8 Tokina "feels cheap":rolleyes: The one thing about all my Tokina lenses (I presently have two and have previously used another) is that they are built like tanks. This sentiment seems to be echoed in just about every review I have ever read about this brand of lens.

I once sold cameras in a camera store and the recommendation of that store always directed customers towards cameras that we earned the most profit in selling...

Right now, my travel kit includes a pair of cameras: Canon 7D2 and Canon 6D2 along with the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS as my medium focal length glass, the 12-24mm as my wide angle (although the 12-24mm Tokina was designed for APSC format cameras, it has an EF mount and can be used on full frame cameras from about 17-24mm) and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens.

With the exception of macro work and long-range telephoto, this kit has served me quite well for any venue...

Exactly!

I started with a Sigma 18-35mm as a mid-range zoom before getting a UWA (Canon 10-18mm) for landscapes.
I just recently got a Telephoto (70-200mm) for specific landscapes as well.

If I go out for shooting (general purpose, street), I would get my Sigma 18-35mm and Canon 10-18mm.
If I go out for landscapes specifically, I would get my Canon 10-18mm and the Telephoto with my tripod..

And to share my next lens target in photography,
next in line would be a 50mm for portraits and a 100mm for macro.

if I save enough, I may consider getting a Canon 100-400mm  :p

save up for the glass you are aiming for, don't settle for anything less.

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE

Ah-keong
664 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by Ah-keong. (2 edits in all)

May 15, 2018 22:14 |  #19

Bassat wrote in post #18626476 (external link)
Which options?

For cropped sensor bodies (aps-c for Canon), I was once considering :

a) Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
b) Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM (value for money, bang for buck)
c) Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X Pro DX II (f/2,8 yeah!)
d) Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM (~12,6mm is very wide !) Hope Sigma release a ART version of this soon!
e) Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM (read there is some wavy-moustache distortion at the wide end from 10~14mm)
f) Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM

after crawling through the data and reviews online and going through my checklist > I got option b.
if I were to shoot both Landscapes & Astro, I would get the option c.

I am not really into Astro, but read that the primes such as the Sigma 14mm Art is great at sucking all the stars and light!
If MF options are OK, I would recommend Zeiss Distagon series (15mm, 18mm, 21mm, etc). I would need to rob a bank though :cry:

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,157 views & 8 likes for this thread
Please help me to choose between these lenses
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.