Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 15 May 2018 (Tuesday) 16:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sling strap with a tripod - options

ekinnyc
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 15, 2018 16:42 |  #1

hey everyone

i currently have a black rapid on a Fastnr 3 (the single piece, not the newer flat piece with the D ring). i also have a Peak Design hand strap, with the anchor tied to the Fastnr

this setup is fine and dandy for 99% of my shots, however i am now in the market for a travel tripod, so i will have a need to use some sort of plate (or even when i want to use a concrete barrier or the such for a stable surface)

from what i've seen, there arent many universal options that let me have a tripod plate, strap mount, and an eyelet for the peak design anchor

those using a similar setup, how have you gone about this?

the tripod i plan to get will be seldom used (travel only), and will be something like the manfrotto BeFree or similar. not sure which, not sure what type of head.

what would be the simplest and most effective solution?

can an L plate be attached using a Fastenr from BR, and would it be flush with the bottom of the bracket?

thanks!

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

sponsored links
apemusgrave
36 posts
Joined Dec 2017

May 15, 2018 23:50 |  #2

I've used a Camdapter Pro strap with an Arca adapter for years (on it's third camera now, two different brands). I think it may fit the bill, but you'll want to make sure you've got your tripod/head chosen first to get the right adapter.

FWIW, When it came time to buy a new sling strap, my first consideration was making sure it worked with the Camdapter cause I wasn't going to give it up.

https://camdapter.com (external link)

Olympus OM-D E-M10 II | Canon EOS R | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM EF 50mm f/1.8 STM EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM EF 35mm f/2 IS USM EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 ED AS IF UMC | Panasonic Lumix G Vario 12-32mm F3.5/5.6 ASPH. MEGA OIS / H-FS12032E | Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,291 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

May 16, 2018 00:31 |  #3

Optech straps are available with different ends. I use the 'binocular strap' end to form a loop which goes around the column and one of the legs.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IMG_3173_zps92l90xm5.jpg

By putting the strap on one leg, and thru the other two, it effectively pulls the leg close while on your shoulder, without impeding opening the legs to set up the tripod.

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/Equipment/IMG_3174_zps2a01hkes.jpg

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ekinnyc
THREAD ­ STARTER
784 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 17, 2018 11:49 |  #4

thanks Wilt, i think thats different than what i am looking for.
im trying to find the best way to have my cake and eat it too - have a BR strap mounted in a way that still lets me use a tripod, or at the least, be able to set the camera onto a flat surface and not have it askew due to the BR fastener.

6D| 35mm f/2 IS
Buying/Selling Feedback

Michael ­ Rumsey
994 posts
Gallery: 767 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2015

May 17, 2018 21:00 |  #5

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=MP7_SXGx0lk (external link)

"He's Just This Guy, You Know?"

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,530 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 17, 2018 22:29 |  #6

Use one of the PD straps with the anchor(s) hooked to the strap lugs on the camera body and one to their mounting plate; it's part of their overall system design and one of the reasons I've been using them for years.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

SYS
Cream of the Crop
10,514 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

May 18, 2018 22:22 |  #7

Take a look at my "One System: L-Bracket, BR Strap, SpiderPro, Hand Strap and Even CC Vest, Oh My"

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1494548

May or may not be helpful but at least there are options.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

sponsored links

2,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sling strap with a tripod - options
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.