Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
Thread started 16 May 2018 (Wednesday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7dmk2 or 5dmk3 for birds?

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 16, 2018 08:54 |  #1

So I finally decided to upgrade my camera. I have a 1dmk3 (that I am keeping) and 6D that will help fund my next purchase. I pretty much just have my canons for portaits with my 85mm, kinda close wild life or zoo pictures with my 300/4 IS, and I can also borrow a 400DO or 500L from my friend which is awesome. I am not very sure about which has better AF for tracking and such, so what are your experiences with these two? I like the 1D style body but it seems the 1dmk4 is getting pretty old now. For now I am obsessed with humming birds and I usually hang out at the local lagoon taking BIF pictures.

www.raniedib.com (external link)

sponsored links
RMyers
306 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 18, 2018 21:39 |  #2

I'd go with the 7d2. Crop sensor gets you some extra reach. Very good AF and fast frame rate which is great for birds in flight. I've loved mine. The 5d4 has a very good AF system, but the 5d3 AF and frame rate is not near the 7d2.

Rusty
Austin, TX

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,533 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 18, 2018 23:27 |  #3

The 5d3 utilizes a variant of the 1dx AF system and is very capable.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Shaun ­ Liddy
187 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Feb 2016

May 20, 2018 15:30 |  #4

I have both. Right now I am trying to figure out why I get better images off the 5D mkiii vs the 7D mkii. This is assuming things are equal and the frame is filled the same or close too. I get that the 5D mkiii's more total pixels and 7D mkii's crop all come in to play as far as equal framing once on screen or in print.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,680 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 20, 2018 15:52 |  #5

Shaun Liddy wrote in post #18629149 (external link)
I have both. Right now I am trying to figure out why I get better images off the 5D mkiii vs the 7D mkii. This is assuming things are equal and the frame is filled the same or close too. I get that the 5D mkiii's more total pixels and 7D mkii's crop all come in to play as far as equal framing once on screen or in print.

If you are filling the frame about equally, then I'm pretty sure the 5D3 would be better.

But most of the time in bird photography, we are reach-limited, so the framing would be different. The 7D2 would win out.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Larry ­ Johnson
Goldmember
1,251 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Larry Johnson.

May 24, 2018 19:48 |  #6

For hummers and other BIFs you want a camera with high FPS, like the 7D2 or 1D4. The high FPS gives you lots of pics to choose from so you don't miss that perfect frame. Depending how close you can get to your subject and lens size, crop factor is also a factor. It sounds like you have ample lenses to choose from.
Don't get caught up in how many AF points one camera has over the other. Use the tiny one in the center and put it on your subject.

P.S. Of course, LVMoose may have a different opinion.

flickr (external link)

Shaun ­ Liddy
187 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Feb 2016

May 31, 2018 20:52 |  #7

Today's side by side shows my 5d mkiii renders details better than my 7d mkii

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1496567

sponsored links

666 views & 3 likes for this thread
7dmk2 or 5dmk3 for birds?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Bird Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.