Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2018 (Wednesday) 09:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS 7D II - Lens Selections For Kit

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 16, 2018 09:12 |  #1

Ok I need help in identifying lenses that are best suited for the 7D II and it APS-C sensor.

What lenses the best in sharpness, and what lenses are to be avoided.

I love the Canon L series of lenses and have a few for a full frame body, but I now see a new lens offering " STM " and was wondering about those.

It's been a while since I have gone shopping for any lenses but I am looking to two to go in the kit ..... one a " walk around " and the other a longer reach zoom.

In playing with the kit lens (18-135 IS --- NOT the STM variant ) I believe 300mm will suffice on the long end.

As to STM vs Non-STM ..... am I seeing things right that STM may be a better performer in sharpness? I know it has a different, quieter motor that is supposed to be good for videography but that is all I know about them ... at this point.

Thanks

sponsored links
05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,675 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 16, 2018 09:23 |  #2

I always felt the Sigma 17-50 2.8OS was a very good walk around. It is on par with the Canon 17-55IS for much less. it has been great on my 7DII for a few years.
I am currently selling mine as I am kinda moving away from Canon to Fuji

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,690 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 16, 2018 09:44 |  #3

The humble 18-55mm STM kit lens is very sharp, autofocuses real well. It is embarrasingly light-weight. For more zoom range, check out the 18-135mm nano USM version. It is almost as sharp as the 18-55mm STM and has a 7.5X zoom for great versatility. It is quite a bit heavier, though.

The Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 is old technology and is no sharper than the kit lens. Also, it has unreliable autofocus at longer distances. It is useful in indoor situations if you need a large aperture. Otherwise I would go with the more recent lenses.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Ramon-uk
617 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2006

May 16, 2018 10:10 |  #4

The 55-250 stm is well worth considering, performs much better than other non L lenses of a similar length. It has to be the STM version though, the earlier versions of the 55-250 were not so good.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,690 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

May 16, 2018 10:26 |  #5

harcosparky wrote in post #18626690 (external link)
Ok I need help in identifying lenses that are best suited for the 7D II and it APS-C sensor.

What lenses the best in sharpness, and what lenses are to be avoided.

I love the Canon L series of lenses and have a few for a full frame body, but I now see a new lens offering " STM " and was wondering about those.

It's been a while since I have gone shopping for any lenses but I am looking to two to go in the kit ..... one a " walk around " and the other a longer reach zoom.

In playing with the kit lens (18-135 IS --- NOT the STM variant ) I believe 300mm will suffice on the long end.

As to STM vs Non-STM ..... am I seeing things right that STM may be a better performer in sharpness? I know it has a different, quieter motor that is supposed to be good for videography but that is all I know about them ... at this point.

Thanks

STM ("stepping motor") was developed to be quiter when autofocusing, which is mainly an advantage when making videos. But around the same time STM lenses came out, Canon improved the optics as well - from competitive pressures, I assume. So many of us look for the STM designation even when we are not interested in video.

Canon doesn't make any L lenses for the crop format. The L series is for full frame only. It is a marketing thing. People who don't know all the details look for L because they want the best. But those L lenses are not a good choice for crop cameras like the 7D2, because full frame lenses are bigger, heavier and more expensive. There are excellent mid-zoom lenses available now for the crop format.

For longer reach, the 55-250mm STM has been well received here at POTN, as Ramon also said. I own that lens and it is very nice.... however, for birding, I prefer the 100-400mm II. Yes, it is an L lens. If there is no crop version, then go for the L lenses. (But as Ken said, they are expensive as L. :-))

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

mcoren
461 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2015

May 16, 2018 11:55 |  #6

I’m a big fan of the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4. Great all-around lens, sturdy build and well balanced on the 7Dii body.

The Canon 18-55 STM is also good. I’ll use that instead of the Sigma if I want to travel light.

If I want to go really light, I’ll just take the 24mm f/2.8 STM pancake.

For tele, I like the Canon 55-250 STM. It’s a good range for zoos and it’s small and light for biking or hiking.

For more range and faster action, I use the Sigma 100-400. It’s awesome at airshows!

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 16, 2018 19:13 |  #7

Archibald wrote in post #18626727 (external link)
STM ("stepping motor") was developed to be quiter when autofocusing, which is mainly an advantage when making videos. But around the same time STM lenses came out, Canon improved the optics as well - from competitive pressures, I assume. So many of us look for the STM designation even when we are not interested in video.

Canon doesn't make any L lenses for the crop format. The L series is for full frame only. It is a marketing thing. People who don't know all the details look for L because they want the best. But those L lenses are not a good choice for crop cameras like the 7D2, because full frame lenses are bigger, heavier and more expensive. There are excellent mid-zoom lenses available now for the crop format.

For longer reach, the 55-250mm STM has been well received here at POTN, as Ramon also said. I own that lens and it is very nice.... however, for birding, I prefer the 100-400mm II. Yes, it is an L lens. If there is no crop version, then go for the L lenses. (But as Ken said, they are expensive as L. :-))

I am looking at acquiring the 100-400mm II ..... in comparing it to the 70-300 L ..... @300mm the 100-400 is much sharper on the 7D2 than is the 70-300mm L.

So in the end I suspect I will end up with a 55-250 STM and either the 18-55mm STM <OR> the 18-135 Nano USM as another suggested.

Looks like I will be spending a day at my favorite camera store ...... they will let me play with all of the lenses and use a computer to examine the results.

I do have a Full Frame body and I am sure the 100-400mm L II will see some time on it, as well as the 7D2 for specific uses.

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 16, 2018 19:14 |  #8

05Xrunner wrote in post #18626696 (external link)
I am currently selling mine as I am kinda moving away from Canon to Fuji

I am working towards Fuji but not for 35mm format. For 35mm I will stick with Canon for all that I have invested in their systems.

But that Fuji Large Format camera I was allowed to spend a day with ....... AHHHHHHHHMAZING !!!!!!

mcoren
461 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Mar 2015

May 16, 2018 20:23 |  #9

harcosparky wrote in post #18626954 (external link)
Looks like I will be spending a day at my favorite camera store ...... they will let me play with all of the lenses and use a computer to examine the results.

YES! Support your local brick and mortar camera store!! They’re a dying breed, and once they’re gone, they won’t come back.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, 7D, and 100 (film SLR)
Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM
Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | C, 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM (non-C)
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 17, 2018 07:17 |  #10

mcoren wrote in post #18626979 (external link)
YES! Support your local brick and mortar camera store!! They’re a dying breed, and once they’re gone, they won’t come back.

Mike

I support and buy from them because they support me.

I paid them $200 more from a camera body last year that was the going price on the internet?

Why? Because when something goes wrong, they support me ..... the internet does not.

Imagine going over your gear on Thursday for a Wedding on Saturday, only to find out a lens has an issue?

That local dealer not only shipped the lens off to Canon for me. but they gave me a loaner for the Wedding.

Would the internet do that???? NO!!!

Besides that, they let me play with anything I want BEFORE I buy it .... something else the Internet cannot do.

I cannot say enough about SERVICE PHOTO on Falls Road in Baltimore, Maryland !!!!!!!

You can talk shyt to them too ...... just be prepared to have a little handed back to you !!!!!

YES, they have a sense of humor down there!!!

prime80
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 17, 2018 23:30 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #11

The 100-400L IS II is FANTASTIC on the 7D2!! You’ll LOVE it! I love my 10-18 STM for a fun wide angle, and my 24-70L is on my cam 95% of the time if not shooting sports.

John
7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, EF 24-70 L II, EF 85 f/1.8, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 10-18 IS STM, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,412 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 18, 2018 10:45 |  #12

prime80 wrote in post #18627670 (external link)
The 100-400L IS II is FANTASTIC on the 7D2!! You’ll LOVE it! I love my 10-18 STM for a fun wide angle, and my 24-70L is on my cam 95% of the time if not shooting sports.

Years ago I had a 100-400mm L on a 7D and it was amazing.

I can only imagine the 100-400mm L II on the 7D2 would just as amazing.

I do find myself having to relearn the &D II, much like I took the time to learn the old 7D.

People who grew frustrated with the 7D could not believe what I was producing with mine.

It was all about taking the time to learn the body inside and out, so to speak.

TreeburnerCT
416 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

May 18, 2018 20:56 |  #13

I have more expensive, faster aperture lenses but my daily-carry kit with my 80D is the Canon 18-135mm IS Nano-USM and the Canon 70-300mm IS Nano-USM. The Nano USM focusing system is amazing, it's fast and accurate and for the price the lenses are incredible. I don't use the 70-300 much because if I'm shooting wildlife I usually have my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary with me, but it's nice to know I have some reach if I come across something randomly that's worth shooting.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

duckster
179 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined May 2017

Jun 16, 2018 22:41 |  #14

TreeburnerCT wrote in post #18628159 (external link)
I have more expensive, faster aperture lenses but my daily-carry kit with my 80D is the Canon 18-135mm IS Nano-USM and the Canon 70-300mm IS Nano-USM. The Nano USM focusing system is amazing, it's fast and accurate and for the price the lenses are incredible. I don't use the 70-300 much because if I'm shooting wildlife I usually have my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary with me, but it's nice to know I have some reach if I come across something randomly that's worth shooting.

-Joe

These are exactly the 2 lenses that I use, except on a 7D, not the Mark II version.

sponsored links

890 views & 5 likes for this thread
EOS 7D II - Lens Selections For Kit
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.