Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 21 May 2018 (Monday) 07:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AMASS 2.1 Changelog

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,587 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 2 months ago by Pekka.

May 21, 2018 07:10 |  #1

Forum is now updated to AMASS 2.1.

AMASS 2.1 has big improvements in email functionality, many bugs fixed, better unseen code, usability improvements.

Fixed:
External link images in signatures fixed.

Fixed:
OP can now give feedback after closing the sale.

Fixed:
If a thread page had some permission info on top of page and you logged in via top log in link: permission info overlapped the login dialog..

Changed:
Forum filtering "ON/OFF" colors made a bit milder. Followed thread labels, too.

Changed:
LOG OUT -> "CONFIRM LOG OUT?" colors made more prominent.

Fixed:
Unseen system revised internally, more robust and much faster. Deleted posts are not a problem any more.

Fixed:
Email notification system bugs and "too fast mail sending" problem fixed. FYEO settings for email are now working properly. So, email notifications will start running again (slowly at first).

Added/improved/redesig​ned:
Email notification system is now tested and much more intelligent in what do deliver, why and how. it is fully aware of delivery problems, and logs latest 100 mail deliveries for you to see (in FYEO, link to "Thread Notification Email Log" is under mail settings). There you'll get clear info if there is a problem with your mail server. or if the mails have been sent just fine. Further mails won't be added to the outgoing queue until the queue has delivered or expired your previous email (it is retried in background for few hours). It is also clearly indicated in the log if you have more notification mails coming but they are skipped because of lingering mail in queue. Lots of other improvements, too, like evaluation of email address functionality and automatic email disable on bad hosts (DNS: MX and A are not found). if your email address is not functional (DNS: A and MX not found), you'll get a notification of it when you enter any email-related FYEO page. Email change page also checks host validity using above methods.

Added:
Mark forum read command (with a confirmation dialog) placed next to "Search forum" command, on top of forum index pages. The command is also there on bottom, as before.

Added:
Password reset page will also tell right away if our/your mail server is down, or the mail is not accepted by the remote server.

Changed:
Editing a post is now allowed for 2 days for members who have less than 30 posts.

Added:
You can now switch off/on the avatar follow scroll feature (per browser): See post https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18604727 or search for text DISABLE AVATAR SCROLL for details.

Added:
Password reset page: after re-login: member is redirected to own member page.

Improved:
Pass reset procedure now reports you if mails are not accepted by remote server. In the initial part of the reset process, if verification code mail is not accepted by your mail server, the reset procedure won't activate and you can try again in a minute. If the initial mail is sent ok, and then then the actual (new password) mail is rejected, you'll need to wait for few hours for that mail to expire. You are informed about all this in all steps.

Added feature:
Password reset page: after login: member is redirected to FYEO password change page.

Fixed:
Spelling errors corrected (kudos to OhLook).

Fixed:
Quote tool: Reply to other post after having replied on same page AND use editor tool command "Quote above post" -> first quote owner name was wrong (from previous reply's poster), but quote and post id were correct. This is now fixed.

Added:
Added text to banned info (screen what you see when you are banned): "VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not even think of registering with another name to circumvent this ban. We will find it out (we always do), and will ban permanently all who have multiple accounts. You may of course browse forums as a guest."

Changed:
Removed hover and drag/drop functions from PM page when a mobile device is in use. Those (may have) prevented PM link tap working in some devices.

Fixed (kudos to Levina):
When notification list forum section had new posts by ignored member(s) only, CLEAR command was not shown correctly.

Changed:
Permalink (post) dialog revised and has now BBCODE tag for the post.
You can copy URL or tag to clipboard with one button.

Changed (kudos to Levina):
When a notification has up to 10 new posts, you can see poster's names when you hover mouse on the "x new posts" link. Ignored members are not put into that list. When there is only one post (like new thread), name is shown.

Changed:
Uploaded image thumbnails failed to save when was less than 6 pixels per side, now over zero pixels per side is saved, but they are stretched on display for minimum 20 pixels per side (else clicking might be impossible).

Changed:
Search share: You can copy search tag to clipboard with one button. Does not work in some mobile devices.

New feature:
Added a https://photography-on-the.net/forum/fov_calc​ulator.php
This will be integrated with gear database in many ways, when specs are done.

Other:
Prepared and tested AMASS for SSL mode. When enabled (soon), first it will work in both http and https, a bit later when all is tested the http will be redirected to https so secure connection will be the only one available. AGAIN: The SSL will be enabled in near future, it is NOT working yet.

Technical:
Javascript is properly minified and validated (again).

Fixed:
Lightbox: return from lightbox to thread with ESC now produces an animated transition, as it used to do.

Added:
A reminder about marketplace feedback in sale/buy forums.

Added:
Two ignore modes. Default and strict. Strict mode hides posts and images without peek. Not even a placeholder is shown, unless you come to post or image via direct URL, or when the post is first in thread. Thread page informs subtly how many ignored posts were removed. Some areas are not affected by strict mode: thread listings (we do not hide other people who reply to threads by ignored members), member page, gear ratings, search. I'll update the strict mode later, but it is not a priority task.

Added:
mods can not be ignored.

Added:
Notifications: Forum names in notification list are now also links to Followed+Own page for that forum.

Fixed:
A bug in unfollowing a followed thread sometimes made top/bottom notification counters wrong. Now the originating bug is fixed, and if there are extra items in page top/bottom notification counter (leftovers from bug in previous versions), they'll get fixed when notification popup is opened the first time in AMASS 2.1.

Added:
In notification lists, you can now unfollow (FF) threads by clicking the (FF) label.

Improved/fixed:
Thread page scroll redraw speed improved a lot. Avatar scroll code much smoother.

Fixed:
Start a new thread in forum: editor scaling bug fixed (was very slow to resize to window).

Fixed:
iPad: clicked a thread name in thread list -> swiped back -> thread peek hover popped up. Could have been a iOS Safari bug, but still: Thread peek is now disabled in mobile devices and tablets.

Improved:
Added a progress info graph to stop thread follow command in thread page.

Added:
20 new gear images added (thanks to all who uploaded them).

Added:
Hosted photos shows now member name as copyright owner.

Keyboard Command:
CTRL-B makes a bold tag (to selected text) in post editor.

Added:
9 lenses, one camera
https://photography-on-the.net …dex.php?list=al​l&latest=1

Removed:
As download.finance.yahoo​.com is now discontinued, all gear price selection dropdowns in your personal gear list editor are in USD only, until a suitable replacement service is found.

Added:
Title hint bar on top of scrolled-down thread pages can now be clicked: it gets you to top of page. As margins' "to top" do not show on mobile devices and narrow screens, this does the same "to top" action on all screens.

Fixed:
Several bugs here and there.

------

IMPORTANT

If the new javascript code is not loaded (old site still cached by your browser/ISP/VPN) you may see errors on pages or pages do not respond to commands. To make sure the new code is loaded, you should see in the bottom right of the page next to AMASS logo the version info:

forum software
version 2.1 / js:2.1

If you do not see "js:2.1" there, you may need to forcibly refresh the cache to get latest scripts, usually this is done by pressing CTRL+F5, or from browser settings command "clear cache" or "delete temporary files". For Apple mobile (iOS) users, see https://www.howtogeek.​com …ebsite-on-iphone-or-ipad/ (external link).

In Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.o​rg …kipedia:Bypass_​your_cache (external link) you get cache clearing instructions for all browsers.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
itsallart
Cream of the Crop
6,969 posts
Gallery: 452 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

May 21, 2018 08:22 |  #2

Thanks for your hard work, Pekka.
Now I can open PMs on my Android without any issues ߘ

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,587 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 2 months ago by Pekka.

May 21, 2018 08:26 |  #3

Someone with an iMac could share: is avatar scrolling smoother now with Safari?

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,828 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2018 08:30 |  #4

Pekka, for some reason I noticed that I can still be ignored? Must be an oversight.

Thanks for the otherwise stellar site.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

RhodyPhotos
713 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 21, 2018 09:21 |  #5

Pekka wrote in post #18629515 (external link)

AMASS 2.1 has big improvements in email functionality, many bugs fixed, better unseen code, usability improvements.

Changed:
Forum filtering "ON/OFF" colors made a bit milder. Followed thread labels, too.

Thank you for all the changes and improvements. Although very minor, I especially like this one since the colors would always throw me off.

CC always welcome.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,095 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

May 21, 2018 10:52 |  #6

Very nice improvements, thanks Pekka!

Mark

mathogre
Goldmember
3,476 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2018 10:55 |  #7

Pekka wrote in post #18629515 (external link)

Improved/fixed:
Thread page scroll redraw speed improved a lot. Avatar scroll code much smoother.

Thank you, Pekka! With whatever Apple did with Safari and what you did here, it now looks great.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,476 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2018 10:57 |  #8

Pekka wrote in post #18629551 (external link)
Someone with an iMac could share: is avatar scrolling smoother now with Safari?

As I just posted, it works great now. When I saw the notification of the update to AMASS, I went through the change list before reading anything else.

Thanks so much again for everything you do here!!!!!

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 21, 2018 11:05 |  #9

That's a lot of tweeking! well done sir.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,497 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2018 13:34 |  #10

Thank you for all that you do! I am #17 to hit the 'Like" button.

Fixed it for ya CDS!

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18629666 (external link)
That's a lot of twerking (external link): "sexually suggestive dancing characterized by rapid, repeated hip thrusts and shaking of the buttocks especially while squatting", well done sir.

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,587 posts
Joined Mar 2001

May 21, 2018 13:42 |  #11

Just FYI:
The next thing to do is to enable SSL (secure connection) for POTN. This will most likely happen next weekend. At first both http and https will work, and later http will be redirected to https automatically. You login cookie is not affected by this change. When SSL is done, I'll enable HTTP/2 and perhaps some other protocols that will accelerate things further (not that this is slow now :)).

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,736 posts
Gallery: 270 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008

May 21, 2018 15:24 |  #12

Great work, Pekka.

I love that we can see the posters' names in Notifications again. Thanks for that!

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

Bianchi
Cream of the Crop
5,489 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 21, 2018 15:37 |  #13

Thank you for your continued hard work

My Gear flickr (external link)

Pekka
THREAD ­ STARTER
El General Moderator
17,587 posts
Joined Mar 2001

May 21, 2018 15:59 |  #14

I have monitored the email notification system (I have extensive admin stats/logs for that) and it seems to work fine (knocking wood). There were a small logging hiccup in the start, so for a few members who have email rejected by their remote mail server, there may be an log item with text "(see below)" when the previous item is missing. Not a biggie but won't happen again.

I have also monitored rejected mails as they often explain the reasons (like Google telling if account is not there any more) and now Microsoft will receive mail to Office 365 recipients from us, just now completed their spam delist verification process for that :)

I need to figure out a way to parse those returned mails for non-existing accounts and stop mailing them. It's not really must-have, but it is a very interesting challenge to program (as all this deep email server stuff has been).

There are still thousands of notification mails to send, the list should be normalized in couple of days. Later I'll increase sending interval and amount of mails in batch, now the mails can be a little slower.

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
13,677 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

May 21, 2018 17:37 |  #15

Pekka wrote in post #18629894 (external link)
There are still thousands of notification mails to send, the list should be normalized in couple of days. Later I'll increase sending interval and amount of mails in batch, now the mails can be a little slower.

time to hire some monkeys

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

3,399 views & 65 likes for this thread
AMASS 2.1 Changelog
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.