Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 21 May 2018 (Monday) 10:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hands-on experience with Sony RX100 alternatives?

Charlie ­ Victor
126 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2014

May 21, 2018 10:43 |  #1

The lens mechanism on my Sony RX100 mk ii has failed - exactly as happened to the mk i that I owned before it. Although the RX100 mk ii does all that I would like of a travel camera bar the absence of an optical viewfinder, I am unwilling to buy a third knowing that the lens mechanism will also fail within a couple of years. I had the mk i repaired and it failed again soon afterwards so I am not prepared to get the mk ii repaired.

Before I buy a Canon G5X* as the replacement, if you have hands-on experience with alternatives please will you be kind enough to suggest what you like about them?

Must have:
Minimum 1" sensor
Hot shoe
Body size suitable for carrying in a jacket pocket
Raw setting
PASM shooting modes

Desirable
"Optical" viewfinder

Not bothered
Touch screen

Cheers,
CV

*The primary reasons for gravitating towards the G5X are that my Canon speedlights will work with it and I'll no longer have to use my turret viewfinder in bright light. Yes, I know that using a G5X as a travel camera means I will need plenty of spare batteries with me.

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii
GoPro Hero 3+ / Head mount / Chest mount / Suction mount / Hand grip

sponsored links
kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,321 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 21, 2018 11:53 |  #2

Thank you for the info about Sony.

Leica M9(M-E) or M10 with Lomography or MS Optics pancake or Elmar(-M) 50. It has no AF to fail and VF is Optical not "Optical".

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Oct 2014

May 22, 2018 15:34 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #3

Thank you, kf095. Perhaps though I should have put a price cap after all; I initially did but then removed it because it is not a hard ceiling. Something up to around $1,500 is fine but the Leicas plus optics are each rather a long way too far north of this.

The G5X remains the front runner but I will still pause pending other suggestions so that despite extensive web research I don't accidentally miss something better suited to my needs.

Cheers,
CV

Canon 5D iv and 7D / EF 16-35mm f/4 L / EF 24-105mm L / Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG / EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L II / EF-S 10-22mm / 580 EX II / Yongnuo YN-568EX II
Canon G1X mark iii

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,321 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by kf095.

May 24, 2018 10:47 |  #4

In 2017 I purchased M8 for 1100$ and very tiny Industar 69 28 2.8 for ... 7 dollars. I had Jupiter-12 on it as well and those are under 100$.
It is very neat, but exotic solution. I sold it and kept only M-E.

Olympus Pen with flipped down screen, optical OVF1 and one of thier 15-17 lens will do under 1500$. Camera comes with tiny flash included.
Sensor in this camera is very impressive. Not just as in previous MFT cameras.

I have Olympus OVF1, Olympus 15f8 pancake and looking around which MTF to get to have my not expensive and compact travel kit.

If you are going to use DSLR flash while on travel, why not Canon SL series. Those are small, but with normal sensor and classic VF.
I have 24 2.8 pancake, it is next to lens cap. And Canon DSLR batteries lasts for days and years. I'm still using Canon battery made in 2008.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Oct 2014

May 24, 2018 15:50 as a reply to  @ kf095's post |  #5

Thanks for more suggestions but from what I see these are all getting physically too big.

Canon G1X mark iii

yellowt2
240 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 25, 2018 13:11 |  #6

I've had no trouble with my RX100s (I've had an original RX100 and a RX100 III). Probably put 10,000 shots on the original and 5,000 on the III with no failures or issues.

Since you seem set against another RX100, have you looked at the Panasonic LX100? I've seen some good reviews on it.

Also:
https://www.dpreview.c​om …etable-enthusiast-cameras (external link)

Charlie ­ Victor
THREAD ­ STARTER
126 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited 3 months ago by Charlie Victor.

Jun 04, 2018 06:30 |  #7

To round off the thread.

Thanks again for all the advice and ideas, kf095 and yellowt2; I much appreciated this. As a consequence I feel that I have made a thoroughly informed decision and looked out of the box, so to speak.

The outcome is that helped by the price at Panamoz (£850 / US$ 1,140 delivered to the UK and recommended as a supplier by Photographer friends), I have purchased a Canon G1X mk iii rather than the G5X I was initially looking at; the weather sealing of the G1X will be helpful as the camera will often be used on hikes, and the dynamic range improvement is small but noticeable. It is early days but so far I am very happy with my purchase; for the size increase (jacket pocket but nowhere near shirt pocket), excellent EVF and additional physical controls, I am also finding the shooting experience much more engaging than the RX100.

Canon G1X mark iii

noosa ­ guy
37 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 20, 2018 01:08 |  #8

Charlie Victor wrote in post #18638825 (external link)
To round off the thread.

Thanks again for all the advice and ideas, kf095 and yellowt2; I much appreciated this. As a consequence I feel that I have made a thoroughly informed decision and looked out of the box, so to speak.

The outcome is that helped by the price at Panamoz (£850 / US$ 1,140 delivered to the UK and recommended as a supplier by Photographer friends), I have purchased a Canon G1X mk iii rather than the G5X I was initially looking at; the weather sealing of the G1X will be helpful as the camera will often be used on hikes, and the dynamic range improvement is small but noticeable. It is early days but so far I am very happy with my purchase; for the size increase (jacket pocket but nowhere near shirt pocket), excellent EVF and additional physical controls, I am also finding the shooting experience much more engaging than the RX100.

Charlie, I'd love to ask some questions about your findings with the G1X III.
Cheers
Tony
PS: I can't PM you yet, not enough posts. Can you contact me please mate?

sponsored links

895 views & 4 likes for this thread
Hands-on experience with Sony RX100 alternatives?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.