Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 21 May 2018 (Monday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6D Mark II vs Fuji XT20

watson76
100 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

May 21, 2018 11:57 |  #1

So right now I own both of these cameras, but I have to return one. The problem is I am having one hell of time deciding which one to keep and which one to send back to the point in which I am very stressed out. I have been using both cameras on and off, pixel peeping until my eyes bleed and just can't decide. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

So here is where I am at. First, I want to be up front, I shoot JPEGs. I shoot RAW as well, but these days I prefer sending JPEGs to my phone via WiFi and sharing them with friends and family via iCloud (I don't resize or post to the web). I also print at times. I shoot mainly portraiture so DoF is important to me.

I like the compact size of the Fuji, but then again the handling of the Canon is nicer (just feels better, albeit way heavier).
Canon has a much nicer touchscreen implementation and better menu system.
As far as external controls go, the Fuji does get praise for the dials, but I don't use them, I am more of a menu / touch screen person. I greatly prefer Canon's fold out flip screen to the titling of the Fuji.
Focus Performance is kinda of a toss up. On one hand the Fuji is blazing fast and more accurate and has a better layout of focusing points, on the other the Canon is better in focusing in the dark or more tricky situations. The Canon is hit or miss on focus accuracy unless I use LiveView, maybe this is user error ?

The Fuji has an electronic shutter that allows me to shoot wide open outdoors, something I enjoy doing to get more shallow DoF with portraiture considering it's a crop body.

Image Quality is also a toss up. They both produce rock solid JPEGs with outstanding color and similar levels of detail. There are times in which the Canon will render a more lovely image than the Fuji and vice versa, they just have slightly different approaches to certain colors and tones - very hard to decided. The Canon has better high ISO performance. I am not sure about the dynamic range issues between them as I have not really tested it.

I like the longer battery of the Canon, the Fuji does eat batteries.

On the flip side the Canon was about $600 more than the Fuji and I am just not sure whether or not it's $600 more camera.

Looking down the road the Canon has a bigger arsenal of lenses and more affordable price points however some of these designs are also aging (85 1.8, 50 1.4 for example), on other hand Fuji lenses typically cost a bit more, but perform at L series levels without the L series price tag (correct me if I am wrong).

I would consider Sony, but I just can't get past Sony color.

sponsored links
gremlin75
Goldmember
2,721 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

May 24, 2018 23:21 |  #2

I mean you're really comparing apples to oranges. But with a photographic systems you're really trying to decide if you want to plant an Apple tree or an orange tree and eat from that for years to come.

Camera bodies come and go. You don't have any gear listed in your profile so I'm just assuming that you are not already invested in a camera system. If you're not then you need to decide which system you want to buy into. Lenses and accessories are where the meat of a system is at. 2 Years from now there will be a new body with better features, and an improved AF system, and a magic feature, and yada yada yada. But you'll be using the same lenses and flashes for the next several body upgrades

With that said it does sounds to me like you like the 6D2 more and the Canon system more. The big lure of Fuji is the physical dials, the outstanding jpeg's out of camera, and the smaller form factor. If you don't like the dials and the jpegs are about the same to you then I question why fuji is a consideration. The smaller form factor? Well I'd guess not since you said you like the handling of the 6D2 better.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,266 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 26, 2018 11:55 |  #3

Don't become stressed out over the decision, the end goal is to create images that you enjoy!

With that being said it sounds like you are leaning more towards the canon, a large part that lured me to fuji was using the tactile controls to manipulate the exposure. If you are not big into that and are unsure of the ergonomics then the fuji system might frustrate you.

As far as glass goes before i swapped systems I was shocked that Fuji doesn't have an extensive lineup of budget lenses. I shot with the 40/50D, 6D mark 1 so I was expecting the nifty fifty type budget lenses for Fuji. But on the other hand Fuji has amazing pro glass within the small lineup, more of a quality over quantity approach. Pop in the fuji subforms if you have more questions, there is a lot of knowledge between the users there.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 26, 2018 12:08 |  #4

Sounds like you feel that canon has more room to grow, I agree with that sentiment, and that would be a big consideration for me.

Timing on Canon FF mirrorless has been bouncing around from this time next year to as early as September. Not that I feel you would need to change bodies, but it will just be one more option going forward.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Gallery: 290 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

May 26, 2018 13:28 |  #5

Affordable lenses, I got so use to paying lots for L and Art (to a lesser extent) lenses that Fuji's lenses seemed great value to me. But comparing them to the budget Canon ones there are a bit more pricy alright - all very good optically though. If you were to look at the F/2 lens, the 18-23-35-50 all are quite inexpensive (for Fuji) lenses as is the pancake 27/2.8. But I'd agree with most here that, after reading your post, Canon is probably where you are looking.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 29, 2018 08:05 |  #6

Thanks for the comments. I think the Fuji is attractive mostly due to the size and the fact it produces good output. I have three little kids, so less is more when taking them places and the 6D is obviously bigger and bulkier though weight isn't an issue.

As far as image quality is concerned, I am very OCD and I go back and forth. Fuji colors are definitely beautiful, Canon is probably more realistic. Fuji JPEGs are a bit more ready to go out of the box, albeit heavily processed. Canon seems to have much better per pixel detail, the Fuji sometimes has trouble rendering fine detail for some reason. Maybe it's my biased eyes, but the Mark II images have something extra too them, maybe micro contract, don't know how to word it. They have some extra 'pop'. Also the Mark II images are sharper without applying the heavy sharpening that Fuji does. I don't know how exactly to describe that either, but there is some very natural sharpening to the Mark II images - looking sharp without being artificial. I keep leaning more towards the Mark II. I do wish Canon has FF mirrorless. My brain is going to explode. Sorry I have bad OCD which makes this process all the more painful.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 29, 2018 08:12 |  #7

I suspect Fuji may have a similar feature, but the Picture Styles for Canon can be edited and I think six or eight stored for jpg processing. If you want the colors to pop more, or more overall contrast, that's easy to accomplish.

Canon SL2 is a pretty amazing camera, and smaller than you would think.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,839 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2018 08:51 |  #8

watson76 wrote in post #18635009 (external link)
Thanks for the comments. I think the Fuji is attractive mostly due to the size and the fact it produces good output. I have three little kids, so less is more when taking them places and the 6D is obviously bigger and bulkier though weight isn't an issue.

As far as image quality is concerned, I am very OCD and I go back and forth. Fuji colors are definitely beautiful, Canon is probably more realistic. Fuji JPEGs are a bit more ready to go out of the box, albeit heavily processed. Canon seems to have much better per pixel detail, the Fuji sometimes has trouble rendering fine detail for some reason. Maybe it's my biased eyes, but the Mark II images have something extra too them, maybe micro contract, don't know how to word it. They have some extra 'pop'. Also the Mark II images are sharper without applying the heavy sharpening that Fuji does. I don't know how exactly to describe that either, but there is some very natural sharpening to the Mark II images - looking sharp without being artificial. I keep leaning more towards the Mark II. I do wish Canon has FF mirrorless. My brain is going to explode. Sorry I have bad OCD which makes this process all the more painful.

All of this decision making is based on your personal preference. One thing you must take note is that you are indicating that "weight isn't an issue".

There are pros and cons between the two systems. If your a portrait photog and use primes the Fuji does have a wonderful selection of fast primes. 56mm and 90mm is a great setup that has the "nice" amount of creamy bokeh and detail. IMO 50-140mm I own the bokeh can look nervous and this is quite common knowledge. Keeping it real....even the Canon 70-200 f/2.8mk2 can have contrasty looking bokeh too depending on background.

For portraits with the canon world you can buy the classic 135L or there's the new 85Lf/1.4IS or venture into the Sigma Art series. Big selection for a mature mirrored system.

I would say Fuji has a more straight out of the camera "processing" of how the image will look. The signature Fuji look is very pleasant. I'll say Canon has a less processed signature look. My take is Sony is very Raw looking that has this true real life render with no cooking of files. We are all programmed over the years to appreciate a more refined processed images. Fuji just has been engineered that way to render a specific way IMO. Is that bad?? it all depends on what you want in the photo.

Fuji in some cases can be painterly with a canvas look or you can ease up on the shadow slider in LR and find the images to look "real" with very good realism. I think Canon is in between the render of Fuji and Sony. Fuji being easy on the eyes with refined process look to Sony being the extreme opposite of images you actually see with your eyes but the colours are punchy sooc. Sooc Sony without a doubt requires post processing work for anyone to see. In most cases I like to tone down the Sony colours as I do find them to be aggressive sooc.

This is where you will need to determine the look your after. All systems can be manipulated in post. jpg wise Fuji is the least post processing required to get that print ready look of easy looking eye candy.

Somedays when I shoot my Fuji in demanding light it's not perfect. Yet my Canon seems to just be cleaner. Using sony the images are very clean in the worst of lighting.

Your personal tolerance to noise is also another consideration. If you're always shooting in ideal lighting you may just love the Fuji to bits. The render on human subjects has this certain look that looks right.

If you like the responsive "click" of a mirrored body you will enjoy a 6dmk2. However remember it's limited to 1/4000 max shutter speed. At least with a fuji you can hammer a bunch of shots using Eshutter at f/1.2 in ridiculously bright light with no real negative effects (except fast moving subjects). EVF you can look at the images you took in your electronic view finder. 6dmk2 you cannot do this type of "chimping".

Take your poison :) There are pros and cons to every system you will shoot with. Be honest to yourself as it does sound your quite in tune with what you like. Sounds like you are already swaying towards Canon. Not here to convince you as I'm not a fanboy to one system. Fuji has it's rewards too in different ways.

If your into UWA Canon has the Tamron 15-30 and the native selection of 16-35L. Fuji has the slow f/4 UWA 10-24mm which is great too. Fuji's 8-16 f/2.8 (not avail yet) will be limiting to a degree but that's just the way fuji has rolled out UWA zooms.

Take a look at the Fuji, Sony and Canon forums on POTN. You'll see a very distinct difference in how each system renders.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

soeren
Whoops Im not updated
400 posts
Joined Nov 2017
Post edited 5 months ago by soeren. (2 edits in all)

May 29, 2018 09:27 |  #9

For UWA though having the 10-24 I have my sights set on the 9mm Laowa ;-)a And the 12mm f/2 samyang is a great performer too on mirrorless systems if you don't want THAT wide.
OH and maybe Omar Gonzales is worth a look on YouTube.

If history has proven anything. it's that evolution always wins!!

watson76
THREAD ­ STARTER
100 posts
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 5 months ago by watson76. (4 edits in all)

May 29, 2018 09:53 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #10

Alan, thanks for the comments, very well thought out. I might have to consider the XT2, as when I tried the 56 1.2 on the XT20 the balancing was cumbersome with the smaller body and large prime. I am not sure why I am having such a tough time between the two systems, maybe I just enjoy certain aspects of both of them with neither one feeling complete, that being said in the end there can only be one.

I kinda learn towards the Canon for the handling, just feels better in hand. I kinda lean toward the Fuji for the images straight out of camera, but again it's a mix. The Canon has a much cleaner, natural look, The Fuji has "brighter colors" and is a bit more vibrant and punchy for tablet / smartphone viewing. Skin tones are a mix. Canon is known for natural skin tones but at times it will render too red or sometimes very pale and yellowish. Fuji can be a more pink, but overall probably more pleasing - I think Fuji's white balance is better.

Just out of curiosity as you seem to have both Canon FF and Fuji, if you had to keep one which one would you choose and why ?

Update, thinking the XT2 might solve some of my handling issues the XT20 is just too small for my hands.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,369 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

May 29, 2018 10:05 |  #11

watson76 wrote in post #18635056 (external link)
Alan, thanks for the comments, very well thought out. I might have to consider the XT2, as when I tried the 56 1.2 on the XT20 the balancing was cumbersome with the smaller body and large prime. I am not sure why I am having such a tough time between the two systems, maybe I just enjoy certain aspects of both of them with neither one feeling complete, that being said in the end there can only be one.

I kinda learn towards the Canon for the handling, just feels better in hand. I kinda lean toward the Fuji for the images straight out of camera, but again it's a mix. The Canon has a much cleaner, natural look, The Fuji has "brighter colors" and is a bit more vibrant and punchy for tablet / smartphone viewing. Skin tones are a mix. Canon is known for natural skin tones but at times it will render too red or sometimes very pale and yellowish. Fuji can be a more pink, but overall probably more pleasing - I think Fuji's white balance is better.

Just out of curiosity as you seem to have both Canon FF and Fuji, if you had to keep one which one would you choose and why ?

Update, thinking the XT2 might solve some of my handling issues the XT20 is just too small for my hands.

You'll get better feedback if you just go browse around the Fuji subforums, lots of us in there have switched from Canon FF (myself included).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 29, 2018 11:50 |  #12

I second that, plenty of images and posts there

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,709 posts
Joined Apr 2014

May 29, 2018 13:16 |  #13

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18635012 (external link)
I suspect Fuji may have a similar feature, but the Picture Styles for Canon can be edited and I think six or eight stored for jpg processing. If you want the colors to pop more, or more overall contrast, that's easy to accomplish.

Canon SL2 is a pretty amazing camera, and smaller than you would think.

Yes with Fuji you can set which film profile you like the look of and also the shadow/highlight detail, the amount of colour as well as noise reduction and sharpening. Really you can tailor it to how you like.

The painterly canvas look, I think, comes from using outdated editing software or not understanding how to get the best out of the different X-Trans sensor setup. I, like many others, have non of these problems, just have a flick through my gallery if you like, there are plenty of fine detail/textured shots in there. But if you are outputting JPEGs from the camera you will have no problems at all.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,839 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 29, 2018 13:50 |  #14

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18635065 (external link)
You'll get better feedback if you just go browse around the Fuji subforums, lots of us in there have switched from Canon FF (myself included).

Watson,

Don't be hesitant in venturing to Fred Miranda's website( Fuji threads). Many there shoot Nikon/Canon and use Fuji as a secondary system as well as dedicated Fuji shooters. Very open minded conversation of the good and the bad regarding Fuji. You will notice multiple system users can potentially have different opinions vs dedicated 1 camera brand users.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,369 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited 5 months ago by EverydayGetaway. (2 edits in all)

May 29, 2018 14:12 |  #15

AlanU wrote in post #18635200 (external link)
Watson,

Don't be hesitant in venturing to Fred Miranda's website( Fuji threads). Many there shoot Nikon/Canon and use Fuji as a secondary system as well as dedicated Fuji shooters. Very open minded conversation of the good and the bad regarding Fuji. You will notice multiple system users can potentially have different opinions vs dedicated 1 camera brand users.

There are plenty of multi-system users right here on POTN. Just because they disagree with your assertions/experiences does not make their findings less valid or relevant.

Most people who make the switch to one system don't just do it on a whim. They do it after testing with both systems and finding one works better than the other for their needs. Just about everyone on the Fuji subforum here came from shooting some other system.

I've shot Canon, Fuji, and Sony simultaneously (as you are currently). For my needs Fuji exceled at the job and I didn't want to juggle multiple systems so the others were sold. I've posted this here before, but I'll do it again.

This was my personal journey to Fuji;
http://everydaygetaway​.blogspot.com …-full-frame-canon-to.html (external link)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

4,140 views & 44 likes for this thread
6D Mark II vs Fuji XT20
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.