Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
Thread started 22 May 2018 (Tuesday) 12:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Did the "FOLLOWED" symbol change color? If so, why?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 12:22 |  #1

I am a bit confused about something.

When I looked at POTN the other day, something seemed "off" about the color of the "FOLLOWED" symbol.

Did this symbol used to be bright purple? . Was it changed?

Below is a screen shot that shows the "FOLLOWED" symbol along with the "____ NEW" symbol. . I think that the "FOLLOWED" symbol used to be the same color as the "____NEW" symbol, but I am not completely sure.

If the color of the symbol was changed, I would be interested in knowing why it was changed.

I had gotten very used to the way things looked, and aesthetic changes are a bit disconcerting, especially when a new color is introduced and that new color is dingy and dirty and bland looking. . Such a bland, muted color is not consistent with the rest of the colors used on the POTN website.

Pekka has always done such a nice job with the aesthetics of the site, and everything always looks so complementary to everything else. . That's why this is so disconcerting to me - because it seems out of character for Pekka to use something that doesn't match the rest of the site's aesthetic.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,644 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

May 22, 2018 12:32 |  #2

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18630439 (external link)
If the color of the symbol was changed, I would be interested in knowing why it was changed.

Reason is:

Top and bottom "NOTIFICATIONS: XXX POSTS" and "XX NEW" are alert/need attention -type of commands.

"FOLLOWED" or "FF" label shows thread is a followed thread, so it is has a color that is a derivative of notification alert color, toned down a bit. It would just be over-usage of the brighter color to make it same color as the "real" notification info.

BTW: You can click "FOLLOWED" or "FF" label to stop following a thread, where-ever they appear.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 12:49 |  #3

Thanks for the explanation, Pekka.

Pekka wrote in post #18630445 (external link)
BTW: You can click "FOLLOWED" or "FF" label to stop following a thread, where-ever they appear.

I don't stop following threads that I have contributed to, because I will always be interested in seeing what others have to say about those topics. . Once I am interested in something, I will always be interested in that thing, for the rest of my life. . I am not fickle about things and try my best to be consistent about what I do and what I am interested in.

---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

While we're on the topic of AMASS changes, I have another question:

In the NOTIFICATIONS page, I believe that it used to give us more information than it does now.

Now, it merely has the title of the followed thread, and under it it says how many new posts, but it doesn't say who made those posts, unless there is only one new post, in which case it still says who made that post.

I believe that previously, next to the number of new posts, it would tell us who those posts were by and when they were posted. . If I remember correctly, it gave us, like, up to 4 or 5 posts' worth of info. . Now it only gives us one post's worth of info.

If this is indeed the case, I would be interested in knowing why we have lost this additional info (why it doesn't appear anymore).

HOSTED PHOTO

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RhodyPhotos
801 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by RhodyPhotos.

May 22, 2018 12:55 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #4

Hi Tom,

If you hover your mouse over the "n new posts" label, you can see the members who posted the new posts. I believe there is a cut off. If you have more than 10 new posts, you won't be able to see the names of the posters.

I know this works on my desktop. Not sure of the behavior on mobile devices.

CC always welcome.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,644 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001
Post edited 5 months ago by Pekka.

May 22, 2018 12:59 |  #5

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18630471 (external link)
Hi Tom,

If you hover your mouse over the "n new posts" label, you can see the members who posted the new posts. I believe there is a cut off. If you have more than 10 new posts, you won't be able to see the names of the posters.

I know this works on my desktop. Not sure of the behavior on mobile devices.

Mobile hover is not denied by code, if such exists.

That one printed name is useful as new threads starters (on forum follow) can be seen easily. To print more names would pollute the list a lot, so hover is the next best option. As there might be hundreds to replies, there is no point showing the all even on hover.
Ignored members are not shown by name in those lists.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 13:09 |  #6

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18630471 (external link)

Pekka wrote in post #18630474 (external link)
Mobile hover is not denied by code, if such exists.

Now I've learned something new about POTN!

I hadn't realized that I could put the mouse over the "NEW POSTS" symbol and get all of that information. . What a great feature that is! . Thank you, Pekka.

I love information and I want as much of it as I can get, even if it makes a page look "cluttered" . (you should see my desk, my car, my house ........ "cluttered" doesn't bother me at all, LOL)

For the record, a couple of months ago we had all of that info right there on the page, and we didn't have to hover to see it. . So there has been a recent change in this area.

RhodyPhotos
801 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 22, 2018 13:17 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

Its similar to the "Like" button. Since the latest update, I have been hovering my mouse over all the various things that show up on the page, looking for easter eggs :-)

CC always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 13:17 |  #8

Hey, I just noticed something super-useful about the NOTIFICATIONS page:

The "YOURS" symbol is now clickable!

HOSTED PHOTO

YOO HOOOOOOOOoooooooo!

I've been wanting this for so so so so long. . This will save me the horrid tedium of having to go to a thread and conduct a search for my own posts through the search function.

Thank you so much, Pekka!

RhodyPhotos
801 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 22, 2018 13:20 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #9

I did notice that. I love that feature as well!

CC always welcome.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,440 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

May 22, 2018 13:33 |  #10

Tom, here's another handy feature. You don't have to follow a thread for it to work.

To find your posts or anyone's in a thread, go to the forum page. Click the number in the Replies column for that thread. You get this:

HOSTED PHOTO

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 13:51 |  #11

OhLook wrote in post #18630510 (external link)
Tom, here's another handy feature. You don't have to follow a thread for it to work.

To find your posts or anyone's in a thread, go to the forum page. Click the number in the Replies column for that thread. You get this:

That's great!

Unfortunately, I never, ever, ever would have known this unless you had told me here.

While I love the info that is available when clicking and hovering, it can be frustrating at times because there is nothing that says, "click here for more info". . It's like they just assume that you will somehow magically know to click here or hover there.

Clicking and hovering is not at all intuitive - it is something that we need to have labeled in order for us to know what it does. . It was only by sheer accident that I happened to click on the "YOURS" symbol - my mouse fell to the floor and when I picked it up I inadvertently depressed the clicker, and the cursor inadvertently happened to be on the "YOURS" symbol at that time. . Otherwise, I would never have known that it was clickable.

RhodyPhotos
801 posts
Joined Jun 2014

May 22, 2018 14:08 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #12

Hi Tom,

Almost everything in the "table" can be clicked or hovered over. All links have tooltips that popup in a balloon when hovered over, which provide some information on what the click might produce.

I agree it is not very intuitive but that is the way most softwares are being developed. Most users want instant gratification without having to study a users manual. They actually expect some sort of feedback while hovering over various widgets.

CC always welcome.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,966 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 22, 2018 14:37 |  #13

OhLook wrote in post #18630510 (external link)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by OhLook in
./showthread.php?p=186​30510&i=i215286127
forum: AMASS Forum Software Talk

This is beyond awesome! Maybe "Awesomer" ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 14:43 |  #14

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18630539 (external link)
I agree it is not very intuitive but that is the way most softwares are being developed. Most users want instant gratification without having to study a users manual.

I wouldn't ever read a manual, either.

What I prefer is something that isn't done much any more.

I would like it if everything clickable said, "CLICK HERE TO SEE WHO POSTED" or, "CLICK HERE TO SEE YOUR POSTS TO THIS THREAD".

Or even a generic "CLICK HERE FOR MORE OPTIONS" or "CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION" would be very helpful. . And I'm not just talking about POTN - I am talking about every site everywhere.

Several years ago a lot of these informative "CLICK HERE FOR ________ " buttons started to disappear and they were replaced with weird little graphics and symbols that don't tell me anything (like three dots in a row - what the hell is that???). . How in the freaking hell am I supposed to know to click there? . And even if I know to click there, how am I supposed to know what will pop up before clicking? . I don't want to click to find out what options reveal themselves - I want to know exactly what will reveal itself before I click. . Sheesh! . I'm really ranting now. . Obviously this is a very sensitive topic for me and I have had a lot of very strong feelings about it for many years now. . All of this frustration I am feeling is not directed toward POTN - it is frustration with the internet in general, and the way that things started to change about 5 or 6 years ago with this stupid concept of creating webpages that look more "clean" and "streamlined", but at the expense of detailed, written-out information.

I have no problem with a webpage being "cluttered" with a lot of words and phrases. . If those words and phrases help to inform me, so much the better.

Tom ­ Reichner
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 22, 2018 14:47 |  #15

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18630547 (external link)
This is beyond awesome! Maybe "Awesomer" ;)

Yes, it certainly is.

This feature is so useful that it will cause me to spend even more time on POTN.

I am always so curious about "who said what, where?", and now this tool will help me to get much more information about people and topics, which in turn will lead to increased involvement on the forum.

sponsored links

899 views & 6 likes for this thread
Did the "FOLLOWED" symbol change color? If so, why?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.