Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 22 May 2018 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Merge/Replace Wordpress site in same location as existing site?

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 22, 2018 14:25 |  #1

My current website is an html site that I wrote myself. The path looks like this (name made-up for example purposes)...

\webname.com

I have a Wordpress blog linked to it in the same place on the server, that path looks like this...

\webname.com\blog

Both are on the same server in the same location.

I have reached a point where I want to abandon the html site and have everything in Wordpress, seamless, so to speak. At the same time I will be using a new theme for my new site.

I'm not sure of the logistics for this. I do not want to upset everything and screw it all up and have nothing workable, or have to restore everything from my back-up.

Ideally, I'd like to build a wholly new Wordpress site with my "webname.com" path, them migrate my blog into that, which I know can be done in simpler situations, but I'm not sure that's technically doable here, given the URL is already in use.

Any thoughts or direction would be most appreciated.

I also could be overthinking this, and it's actually super easy, that's always possible.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,988 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 22, 2018 14:43 |  #2

The default is for a server to load a page called index.html ... this is pretty darn universal, but as with anything, it can be changed. So right now webpage.com is actually loading webpage.com/index.html

You will need to create a page with WordPress that has the name index.html ... you can rename the old one anything you want and it will be ignored.

It is also possible that WP is stored in another directory ... webpage.com/wordpress ... as an example. You tell the server that you want to use that directory as the main directory and put the index file in there.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,988 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 22, 2018 14:46 |  #3

But yeah, it is not that complicated, just need to know how your server is set up and get the right files in the right places.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 25, 2018 23:50 |  #4

So, basically, except for taking my existing website offline while I create the new one, it's not that big of a deal. And I will take the old one offline and archive it because I want the new Wordpress site in the same place.

I'm thinking I should have no real issues migrating the current blog as it is in a \blog directory and is essentially stand-alone.

Thanks.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,053 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 26, 2018 22:30 |  #5

You shouldn't need to even "migrate" the blog. Wordpress allows you to use the blog as the main page or have a dedicated front page + blog.

From a technical pov you are doing the former. WP thinks that the blog is your front page but you actually use a non-wp html front page which links to your blog. You should just be able to go into the settings and change this.

First of all log ftp to your host or log into control panel and change your front page from [name].html to [name].html.bak (just in case something isn't right and you need to restore it.

Then log into WP
Setting > General - edit the site address url. to be yourdomain.com instead of yourdomain.com\blog
Settings > Writing - change the first option "Your homepage displays.." from posts to static page. Note, you may need to create a page to use as your front page first.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

photoguy6405
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 28, 2018 23:15 |  #6

You are probably correct, but I got it done. I'm sure I ended up doing it the long way.

Thank you both for your help.

sponsored links

471 views & 1 like for this thread
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.