Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 24 May 2018 (Thursday) 20:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for lifestyle/documentary photography

ericz34
81 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2016

May 24, 2018 20:56 |  #1

Hey everyone, so recently I’ve had the opportunity to team up with a friend that owns a nursing home. Older people are sometimes forgotten and she wanted to make a small book documenting their life in the nursing home to show that they are still very capable, alive, and well and should not be forgotten.

I’ve never documented or done lifestyle photography, but as a friend she wanted me to help with the pictures. I recently moved from canon to Sony so im short on gear. I have a Sony A7iii and the 35 f2.8.

My thought was either the Tamron 28-75 because of its versatility or the Sony 85 f1.8 because it’s much faster, would be better for portraits and cheaper. But again I don’t have much experience in this style so I’m looking to see what you guys think? Also any tips since I’m assuming the photos are more candid orientated, I’ll also have to tell a story and maybe get some closer detailed shots of them with their things? To eventually work up to full body shots of them socializing and doing their daily things.

All help isn’t appreciated thank you!

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,311 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 27, 2018 22:55 |  #2

Sounds like a great project.

Telling a story with pictures is a big ask. I think you are the right track in telling people's stories in words and using the art to strengthen and enrich. If you go in that direction, listening, really listening, will prove much more important than choice of lens.

You might want to warm up with reading a Studs Terkel classic or two like Division Street, the Good War, Working.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,331 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

May 31, 2018 20:43 |  #3

You have very capable of low ISO camera and very classic 35 lens. This is it for the gear, you all set already.
To make it real documentary you have to spend time with them and get to know them and let them get used to you and camera.
The rest will come naturally, if you will not carp out by then.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,067 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for lifestyle/documentary photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.