Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 May 2018 (Monday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Downgrading and abandoning CF

gossamer88
"something else"
1,017 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

May 28, 2018 09:10 |  #1

I have a 5D Mark IV and starting to regret ever investing in this card format. I'm not a pro so the need for speed or even additional slot was never a buying decision. My MacBook Pro has an SD slot (which I love and hate that they got rid of them in the new models). But now my reader, an Anker, has the pins bent less than a year of use. So I had to tether my camera to get the pics. I know, fist world problems...

So here's my question(s)... I'm thinking of abandoning compact flash and strictly use SD. Has anyone here done this and feel their life just got easier? Should I just downgrade and sell the 5D4 and go for the 6D2? I would get some funds back which will be nice.

At the moment I have it setup for RAW to the CF and JPG to the SD. If I stop using the CF, then both RAW and JPG will be written to the SD. Which is convenient since I can use my SD to Lightning adapter for my iPhone to edit and upload.

So part II (switching cameras?). If I go for the 6D2...

1. I lose 1/8000
  2. The DR is supposedly better on the 5D4
  3. Less focus points and are tightly clustered
  4. Lose a half a frame per second (not a deal breaker obviously)
  5. No headphone jack (I don't do video)
  6. No 4K (again I don't do video)
  7. 30 MP vs 26 MP on the 6D (negligible IMO)
  8. Lose joystick (this I will certainly miss)
I do love the articulating screen of the 6D2. It's also a little lighter. I loved the original 6D and to this day have regretted selling it. I suffered from GAS and went to a 5D3 being too impatient waiting for the 5D4. Then of course less than a year later the 5D4 comes out and the touch screen and among other things "forced" me to upgrade. So am I nuts to downgrade? Should I just stay with my 5D4 and just use SD cards? What say you?

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,885 posts
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 28, 2018 09:33 |  #2

You are nuts. Don't go to the 6D2 just because of a card. If you really don't like the card then transfer via cable and just leave the card in the body all the time. Problem solved.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 28, 2018 09:59 |  #3

I'd say the 5DIV is a better camera in every way except for the flippy screen, it would be nice to have.

There is no reason to not just use a SD card in your 5DIV if that's what you like.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,017 posts
Joined Aug 2014

May 29, 2018 12:03 |  #4

Thanks for the replies.

I'm still thinking about the downgrade believe it or not. I was looking at the pics on the 6D Mark II thread and I gotta say, nothing wrong there.

There's a current deal that includes the Canon grip for $1599. Probably can do better w/o the grip.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

Nogo
I could have been worse....
7,065 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

May 29, 2018 13:18 as a reply to  @ gossamer88's post |  #5

Street price is $1350 USD (external link)

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

artsf
360 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015

May 29, 2018 13:26 |  #6

I also upgraded from 6d to 5div but the main driver was video; I would not have done it just for photos and saved thousands. I’d say just keep the 5div since you already have it and it will last you for many years and still be current. It’s a long term thing. As a hobbyst, 5div has unlimited potential for growth; you may even get into video once you try 4k and then CF is very useful. I see no issue in just using SD card. In fact, I use 256GB CF as default and have yet to ever use the SD card that is always installed in the camera. I don’t shoot on both for simplicity.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 03, 2018 17:59 |  #7

I could not imaging going from my 5DIV to a 6D2.

I went out to purchase a 'travel body' for a cruise. and to add another body to me gear.

I did take a look at the 6D2, but turned away from it in favor of the 7D2 ...... gave my old 7D away.

How on earth did you bend pins in your reader?

When I hear of bent pins I have to ask what brand of CF cards are you using?

I have an ancient CF Card reader that plugs into a USB port, with " GE " as the name brand.

I believe it came with an IBM Microdrive that I had a long long long time ago.

Still use that reader today.

As to CF card brands .... well I only use SAnDisk and LEXAR.

I do remember years ago, people reporting bent pins inside their EOS 7D bodies .... but they were using off brand CF cards and physically the cards were slightly different.

My old kit was a 5D2 and a 7D ..... not it is a 5D4 and 7D2.

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,017 posts
Joined Aug 2014
Post edited 4 months ago by gossamer88.

Jun 04, 2018 08:46 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #8

I've had a USB 2.0 CF reader for years (10+) whose pins never bent. I wanted a USB 3.0 one and got the Anker from Amazon (external link). Anker replaced it at no charge when I sent them a pic of the bent pin.

At this point I'm going to keep the 5D4 and see if their FF mirrorless makes an appearance at this year's Photokina.

flickr (external link)

charlemagne
430 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 05, 2018 13:01 |  #9

ship the 5D IV to me, will ya!

ludwig
ludwig desmet - beauty and fine art photography (external link)

tomj
614 posts
Joined May 2010

Jun 09, 2018 09:05 as a reply to  @ harcosparky's post |  #10

"How on earth did you bend pins in your reader?

When I hear of bent pins I have to ask what brand of CF cards are you using?"

I've had this happen, no idea how. I've been able to just bend the pin back. I use Sandisk cards.

Flickr (external link)

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,017 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 09, 2018 17:23 as a reply to  @ tomj's post |  #11

Not sure how it happened but I'm not the only one if you read the Amazon reviews. Here's the pic I had to sent them.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,443 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 09, 2018 18:00 |  #12

I hate the little SD cards. It's so easy to lose them because they are so small.

With the nice, bigger CF cards, I am able to keep a couple in my pants pocket with my pocket change and car keys, and therefore always know that I will have a spare card on me if ever I need one. . I tried to do that with a nice new 64GB SD card and I lost it. . It simply wasn't in my pants pocket when I looked for it. That's never happened with a CF card.

I hate SD.

I love CF.

It sucks that my 6D only takes SD cards - managing card storage and transportation is so difficult because I can't just have 'em in the pocket.

I've used CF cards for years and years and years and never ever bent any pins or experienced any damage or corruption whatsoever, despite the fact that most of the cards I buy are very cheap and made by offbeat companies that I've never heard of before.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 4 months ago by Lyndön.

Jun 10, 2018 15:05 |  #13

The trick with CF readers is the depth of the slot. Shallow slots like that are almost asking for bent pins. Deeper slots assure the alignment of the pins and therefore don’t bend them unless you have some foreign piece of material in between. I’ve used Kingston readers for years, and currently use the newest (white/silver) USB 3.0 version and it’s had zero issues. When the card is fully inserted it’s about halfway inside the reader. I’ve had other cheap readers with barely any depth to them and all it takes is one misalignment to ruin them, although I have fixed them with tweezers/hemostats before in a pinch.

If you really hate CF cards that much and don’t need speed, you can get a CF to SD adapter so you can use SD cards in both slots of your 5D IV.

I personally wouldn’t change cameras over something as trivial as a card when there are several workarounds, unless you’re really just unhappy with the 5D IV.

GEAR LIST

gossamer88
THREAD ­ STARTER
"something else"
1,017 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 11, 2018 07:01 |  #14

Lyndön wrote in post #18642713 (external link)
The trick with CF readers is the depth of the slot. Shallow slots like that are almost asking for bent pins. Deeper slots assure the alignment of the pins and therefore don’t bend them unless you have some foreign piece of material in between. I’ve used Kingston readers for years, and currently use the newest (white/silver) USB 3.0 version and it’s had zero issues. When the card is fully inserted it’s about halfway inside the reader. I’ve had other cheap readers with barely any depth to them and all it takes is one misalignment to ruin them, although I have fixed them with tweezers/hemostats before in a pinch.

If you really hate CF cards that much and don’t need speed, you can get a CF to SD adapter so you can use SD cards in both slots of your 5D IV.

I personally wouldn’t change cameras over something as trivial as a card when there are several workarounds, unless you’re really just unhappy with the 5D IV.

Had no idea such an item exist. Googling found one that gets very good reviews at both B&H and Amazon. But for now I'll stick with CF and use it as a backup while shooting. I had originally set CF/RAW and SD/JPG. Now both cards are set up identically (RAW only...for now).

flickr (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 11, 2018 16:27 |  #15

I haven’t ever used one, but from what I’ve read they work fine, just slow... assuming you get the correct size (Type I vs Type II) for your camera. The only difference is that one is thinner than the other, so the thick model isn’t as compatible.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,403 views & 8 likes for this thread
Downgrading and abandoning CF
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.