Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 01 Jun 2018 (Friday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What compact flash for Canon 5d?

d4z0mg
60 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jun 01, 2018 12:49 |  #1

Just got myself a Canon 5d mk 1 and didn't realise I needed a different type of memory card to what I'm used to with more modern cameras. Can anyone point me in the direction of something that's compatible in terms of memory size and read/write speeds?

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,935 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jun 02, 2018 14:11 |  #2

Sandisk CompactFlash (external link) cards are good. The Ultra series is plenty, you can get extreme if you really want to. The latest firmware apparently supports 32GB memory cards, but 16GB should be plenty for that camera, maybe even less.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited 5 months ago by johnf3f.

Jun 02, 2018 16:21 |  #3

These days the 5D1 is very undemanding on memory cards- just go for a good well known maker - such as Sandisk/Lexar/Transcen​d and get a 200x or better card. The 5D1 files are not huge and the frame rate is low so you don't need a BIG capacity card. I found 8GB fine but a 16GB or two might be handy if you are thinking of holidays.

For now just enjoy the lovely images this "Classic" camera can take:-)

P.S. I was really a bit of a twit when I sold mine!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,054 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 05, 2018 23:14 |  #4

johnf3f wrote in post #18637864 (external link)
....and get a 200x or better card.

Can anyone explain what that actually means? Is it 200x the speed of light or maybe just 200x faster than my first car (a dilapidated vw beatle) could move? My Sandisk CF cards have speed listed in MB/s but my Lexar SD cards are shown as 1000x (and also state 150MB/s). Is this an actual measure of something or just marketing speak?

Probably be a good idea for the OP to check the transfer speed of the camera as it is probably slower than current models. No point in buying top of the range high speed cards if the camera can't make use of the speed due to an slower max data transfer.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,865 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 05, 2018 23:34 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18640016 (external link)
Can anyone explain what that actually means? Is it 200x the speed of light or maybe just 200x faster than my first car (a dilapidated vw beatle) could move? My Sandisk CF cards have speed listed in MB/s but my Lexar SD cards are shown as 1000x (and also state 150MB/s). Is this an actual measure of something or just marketing speak?

Probably be a good idea for the OP to check the transfer speed of the camera as it is probably slower than current models. No point in buying top of the range high speed cards if the camera can't make use of the speed due to an slower max data transfer.

is a rather outdated way of expressing the max read speed. It is based on the read speed of audio CDs at 150 KB/s. You can figure out how fast an 200x card is in KB/s by multiplying 150 by 200 and convert KB/s to MB/s by dividing by 1,000

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,955 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2018 18:19 |  #6

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18640016 (external link)
No point in buying top of the range high speed cards if the camera can't make use of the speed due to an slower max data transfer.

That was what I was suggesting!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,865 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 5 months ago by Wilt.

Jun 07, 2018 08:27 |  #7

d4z0mg wrote in post #18637226 (external link)
Just got myself a Canon 5d mk 1 and didn't realise I needed a different type of memory card to what I'm used to with more modern cameras. Can anyone point me in the direction of something that's compatible in terms of memory size and read/write speeds?

I have a number of extra CF cards from about 2-8GB size which I had on hand as extras (and almost never actually used), for my Canon 40D, Send PM if you have interest, and I will take inventory of what I would part with.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

eelnoraa
Goldmember
1,783 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 11, 2018 22:31 |  #8

16GB is the max capacity 5D1 can support. I have been using 8GB on mine. I would say don't worry about the speed. Just about any CF today will be faster enough for 5D1.

5Di, 5Diii, 28, 50, 85, 16-35II, 24-105, 70-200F2.8 IS

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,054 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 12, 2018 21:03 |  #9

eelnoraa wrote in post #18643632 (external link)
I would say don't worry about the speed. Just about any CF today will be faster enough for 5D1.

I think the comments about speed were less about the card being too slow and more about it not being worth paying extra for the fastest cards when the 5D1 write speed is slower than the max write speed of the card - you would just be wasting money.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

thijs
93 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Jun 14, 2018 08:44 |  #10

eelnoraa wrote in post #18643632 (external link)
16GB is the max capacity 5D1 can support. I have been using 8GB on mine. I would say don't worry about the speed. Just about any CF today will be faster enough for 5D1.

I'm not sure about this statement. I have a 5D "Classic" and I'm using a SanDisk Extreme (120 MB/s) 32GB CF Card for years now and have never had any problems.

www.thijsvanluijk.nl (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,334 posts
Gallery: 81 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 14, 2018 09:31 |  #11

Write speed may not matter but faster cards let you copy the photos to your computer faster. For some people that is a benefit.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Joemt
505 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 27, 2018 07:48 |  #12

bpalermini wrote in post #18645178 (external link)
Write speed may not matter but faster cards let you copy the photos to your computer faster. For some people that is a benefit.

+1 on that, also erase and formatting ....

Joemt

sponsored links

851 views & 4 likes for this thread
What compact flash for Canon 5d?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.