Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 06 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 11:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'll HODL my Canon

strobe ­ monkey
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jun 06, 2018 11:54 |  #1

I have sold almost all of my Canon gear (not because I wanted to switch). I am left with nifty 50, EF 35 f2, EF 50 f1.4, and just purchased 16-35 f4 IS last year or two I can't even remember for a trip, and of course my 4+ year old 6D which has only about 2k+ clicks. After that trip, I have not touched my camera because I am busy.

Now my son will be taking photography as an elective in school this coming year, so last week, I have been on the internet looking for a cheap and decent camera for him to start with.

I have lurked and read posts here on POTN, and am surprised a lot of folks have switched or are planning to switch to Sony because of it's features like Mirrorless shutter and eye focus. I looked on youtube and saw people raving about eye focus which to me seems good, but are we getting dumb more and more because of technology ? I bet soon the new generation will depend on AI and computer algorithms, and chips implanetd under their skin ...

What would the "switchers" do when Canon releases a FF Mirrorless this December? Switch back to Canon and hit their heads with their Sony cameras?

So my reasons for staying with Canon?

1. I am used to the ergonomics and button layout, and the way it feels on my hands (can't teach an old dog new tricks is what they say)
2. I like the colors my Canon renders
3. I like Canon DPP
4. I don't want to start again and spend more money on new gear (I'm a cheapskate), then loose money from selling my Canon gear
5. I am hoping Canon will bring out a FF version of 5D MKIV, or maybe transition the the series to mirrorless, so HODL HODL HODL !

I like my beer, guns, and my Canon !

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,253 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2018 13:03 |  #2

strobe monkey wrote in post #18640288 (external link)
. . . so HODL HODL HODL !

I like my beer, guns, and my Canon !

I also like beer, guns, and Canon gear.

But I have no idea what HODL stands for. . Can you please explain?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

RhodyPhotos
735 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Jun 06, 2018 13:07 |  #3

I'm dyslexic. It makes perfect sense to me. HOLD, HOLD, HOLD!!

CC always welcome.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,253 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2018 13:15 |  #4

RhodyPhotos wrote in post #18640334 (external link)
I'm dyslexic. It makes perfect sense to me. HOLD, HOLD, HOLD!!

At first I thought that it might be a typo, but then when I saw it written the same way four times, and saw that it was capitalized each time, I began to doubt that it was just a typo.

I mean, who makes the same inadvertent typo four times straight?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,882 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2018 13:15 |  #5

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,253 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2018 13:21 |  #6

Chet wrote in post #18640342 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Chet in
./showthread.php?p=186​40342&i=i186627170
forum: Changing Camera Brands

Yikes. . I hope that isn't what the OP meant.

We should all stick to traditional, proper English words.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,882 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2018 13:28 |  #7

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18640351 (external link)
Yikes. . I hope that isn't what the OP meant.

We should all stick to traditional, proper English words.

I could give you the Urban dictionary rendition if you'd prefer?

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
My Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,253 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 06, 2018 14:01 |  #8

Chet wrote in post #18640354 (external link)
I could give you the Urban dictionary rendition if you'd prefer?

No, no, NO!

Let the madness stop, please!

Let's just stick to the words that we, and our fathers, and their fathers learned in grade school.

Strontium
Durr?
7,048 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 06, 2018 14:34 |  #9

I'm with Tom, on this one.

I am I

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,395 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited 3 months ago by JeffreyG.

Jun 06, 2018 14:37 |  #10

User of computer operated digital camera decries computer functions in digital cameras.

In related news, old man yells at cloud.

But seriously.....you have an autofocus camera but cannot understand user interest in enhanced autofocus functionality?

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

PNPhotography
780 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2018 14:50 |  #11

I’m with ya Strobe Monkey.I have zero interest in Sony camera’s.Don't like their colors or menues, I’m pretty happy with my Canon’s and Nikon’s and I happen to Like my flippy mirrors.I do have a G7Xmkii for the jacket pocket just in case.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

strobe ­ monkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by strobe monkey.

Jun 06, 2018 14:57 |  #12

HODL - it's not a typo, as someone already mentioned, it's a slang for HOLD. I laughed at it too when I first learned about it...

==========

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18640369 (external link)
No, no, NO!

Let the madness stop, please!

Let's just stick to the words that we, and our fathers, and their fathers learned in grade school.

I totally understand and agree...

6D, 7D, EF35 f2, EF50 f1.4, EF50 f1.8
Sold:
EF 70-200 F4, EF 24-105L, EF 24-70L, EF 17-40L, EF 85 f1.8, Stigma 10-20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,801 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 06, 2018 15:30 |  #13

Somebody hodl my beer!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,882 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 06, 2018 15:32 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18640413 (external link)
Somebody hodl my beer!

I say that often after many beers.

My Gear List

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,319 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 3 months ago by kf095.

Jun 06, 2018 16:30 |  #15

Beer and guns? And Canon only on third place... It explains why OP doesn't know what eye focus was made by Canon well before Sony started to make their cameras. :lol:
But typo was educative!

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

1,641 views & 21 likes for this thread
I'll HODL my Canon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.