Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 13:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Worth upgrading from 6D to 5D Mark IV?

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,913 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 22, 2018 03:47 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18643739 (external link)
The 5d4 is a good upgrade to the 6d, and in fact can mostly replace the 1d4. It has enough resolution that you can crop out the 1.3 factor of the 1d4 and have a bit more resolution and better ISO.

I have two 1D4 cameras for air show shooting, and the 6D for everything else.

The pixel density and AF performance of the 5D4 will exceed the 1D4, and it should offer better high iso than the 6D.

I may sell all 3 of my cameras and put the money towards the 5D4. I can't think of any reason not to.

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
AsifSalam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 23, 2018 09:57 |  #17

First of all thank you to everyone of you for the kind suggestions :)

So here what happened since I asked the question if upgrading was worth it.

Well i had look at 6D Mark II and yes its better sensor but was missing 4K. I also checked for 5DSR but it was little slow as files are way too big for no reasons for me to use it as I am not doing prints.

Now that actually brought 5D Mark IV as the best all rounder as it has almost all the great features.

So I sold my 6D for £600
Sold my Sigma 24-70mm old one for £180
which means I managed to get £780 back.

Store price for 5D Mark IV was £3300 which was a lot, I paid for my 1D Mark IV for that price.

So i went with "hdewcameras.co.uk" who were selling gray listed product for ONLY £2050 with 3y warranty from 3rd party!
https://www.hdewcamera​s.co.uk …d-mark-iv-body-5161-p.asp (external link) = its now only £1,989.00

The guys were great I went to their warehouse, unboxed even before paying, checked and it was all lovely and new!

So overall i had to pay:
Camera price £2050 - recovered cash from old kid £780 = £1270 difference I had to pay!

Now i got the camera body :D

Which in a odd beautiful way completes my line up of the body.

1D Mark IV + 5D Mark IV :D

Now I have to say from 6D to 5D Mark IV is huge upgrade, photo dynamic range is noticeably better and the photos are ultra sharp with even old Sigma 50mm and 85mm F1.4 lenses. WOW.

I loveeeeeeeee it!

I am thinking of keeping 1D Mark IV or not sure if i should upgrade to a 1DX Mark I as it is full frame and 1D Mark IV was APC-H

I know not everyone is happy with grey listed product but Canon warranty was 2y and they gave me 3 and i paid £1300 less which is almost the cost of 2x Sigma Art lenses second hand. huge saving!

I think £3300 is a lot for a 5D series and if it was a 1D I would be ok but hence why it took me so long to cut through to get to the 5D and not to pay the full price :)

I will post photos here guys soon! :) and yes I do recommand 5D mark IV over 6D/6D II

Canon 1D Mark IV | Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 | Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (Macro) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II
AsifSalam.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 23, 2018 09:59 as a reply to  @ AsifSalam's post |  #18

Congratulations, its a great camera!

I suspect that over time, you will find that you pull out the 1D4 less and less. Especially once you get your AF settings all set up properly for what you shoot. I am not sure what going to a 1DX will really gain you either, other than burst speeds and a bit better build quality. I would just keep the 1D4 for a while personally, if those were my 2 options for that slot in my camera bag.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 23, 2018 10:28 |  #19

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18667764 (external link)
5DIV is still an incredibly overpriced $3100 when they should be around $2k for what they are. No way on earth id pay $3100 for the few advantages over the 6D, absurd IMO.

I agree that $3100 is way too much for what you get.

However, the 5D4 is a HUGE advantage over the 6D, yet you seem to make it seem like it isn't that much better when you say, "few advantages over the 6D".

I think that you are misrepresenting the 5D4's features and capabilities when said that the way you did. . The 5D4 is way better than the 6D in almost every way that really matters.

Several months ago, after a ton of research and thought, I decided that the 6D would be worth $700 to me, and that a 5D4 would be worth $1600 to me. . I could find a 6D for $700, but I couldn't find a 5D4 for $1600. . So, I bought a 6D, and while it is an ok backup, it does have many limitations, and would never be sufficient for anything other than backup/emergency/alter​native usage. . A 5D4, however, would immediately become my primary camera the minute I got it. . Now I just need to wait until I can get a use 5D4 for $1600, which I think will happen in another year or two.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 23, 2018 11:55 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #20

Agreed :)

- 50% more resolution
- Better low ISO DR (by over 1 stop)
- Better high ISO
- 3fps more burst
- Larger buffer
- Dual cards with UHS-1 support
- Flicker control
- Better AWB
- Better build
- Better video functions and resolution
- 61 AF points ala the 1D series
- 51 cross type AF points vs just 1
- Better rear LCD
- 1 stop faster max shutter speed
- f8 AF

For some, these add up to a much, much better package over the 6D, just depends on what you shoot, and your functional needs.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by Mbell1975. (2 edits in all)

Jul 23, 2018 18:58 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18668664 (external link)
I agree that $3100 is way too much for what you get.

However, the 5D4 is a HUGE advantage over the 6D, yet you seem to make it seem like it isn't that much better when you say, "few advantages over the 6D".

I think that you are misrepresenting the 5D4's features and capabilities when said that the way you did. . The 5D4 is way better than the 6D in almost every way that really matters.

Several months ago, after a ton of research and thought, I decided that the 6D would be worth $700 to me, and that a 5D4 would be worth $1600 to me. . I could find a 6D for $700, but I couldn't find a 5D4 for $1600. . So, I bought a 6D, and while it is an ok backup, it does have many limitations, and would never be sufficient for anything other than backup/emergency/alter​native usage. . A 5D4, however, would immediately become my primary camera the minute I got it. . Now I just need to wait until I can get a use 5D4 for $1600, which I think will happen in another year or two.

Good points and yes, the 5DIV does have several advantages over the 6D but are those advantages worth an extra $2100? Not even close for me. All depends on your needs and what you shoot but for me, I saw pretty much zero difference in the final product when I rented the two and compared my photos side by side. However, Im either in a controlled studio environment where I am controlling the lighting or I am outside in natural lighting conditions I know like the back of my hand. I know exactly how I want my camera set based on what time Im shooting and where the sun is at before I even step outside, but Ive done it literally thousands of times over 15 years. Someone shooting another type of photography may benefit more from more AF points, dual card slots, better burst rate etc...thats all useless to me. Im just happy Canon makes quality cameras at pretty much every price point.

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,378 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jul 23, 2018 19:51 |  #22

With Canon stuff I think it is important to look at the total cost of ownership in regards to the Lenses.

Two things that I like that not often gets mentioned in reviews.

1) The files straight off camera are awesome. Especially photographing people. They just have a beautiful look.
2) Super reliable. They just work. Another underrated quality IMO.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,833 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 23, 2018 22:51 |  #23

George Zip wrote in post #18669096 (external link)
With Canon stuff I think it is important to look at the total cost of ownership in regards to the Lenses.

Two things that I like that not often gets mentioned in reviews.

1) The files straight off camera are awesome. Especially photographing people. They just have a beautiful look.
2) Super reliable. They just work. Another underrated quality IMO.

Yes..... and Yes..........

I know that it takes more effort in lugging a heavier Canon system but I NEVER EVER regret using my Canon gear. With the 5dmk4 I've yet to be upset that my raw file falls apart in low light unless I royally mess it up underexposing.

I currently shoot with Sony and Fuji too. Lets just say I cannot ever see myself selling my 5dmk4 for critical documentation/ hired events. Mirrorless systems still are a different beast. I know my 5dmk3 and 5dmk4 just take photos instantly with no hesitation ever. Using external flash just increases AF accuracy in low light with the red focus assist beam.

If a person has the funds to purchase a 5dmk4.......Buy it Now!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

George ­ Zip
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by George Zip. (2 edits in all)

Jul 24, 2018 04:50 |  #24

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18669052 (external link)
Good points and yes, the 5DIV does have several advantages over the 6D but are those advantages worth an extra $2100? Not even close for me. All depends on your needs and what you shoot but for me, I saw pretty much zero difference in the final product when I rented the two and compared my photos side by side. However, Im either in a controlled studio environment where I am controlling the lighting or I am outside in natural lighting conditions I know like the back of my hand. I know exactly how I want my camera set based on what time Im shooting and where the sun is at before I even step outside, but Ive done it literally thousands of times over 15 years. Someone shooting another type of photography may benefit more from more AF points, dual card slots, better burst rate etc...thats all useless to me. Im just happy Canon makes quality cameras at pretty much every price point.

Good points. The extra features of a 5d3 or 5d4 are not required. I would be happy enough with my old 5d2 in a controlled environment.

I do events including weddings. Despite the fact that photographers got by in the digital age for years and the film era for decades I think the extra features are important as a modern professional. Roughly in order of importance:

1. Dual card slots.
2. Focusing system
3. Better DR when you land in contrasty environments you have no control over. In my case a bride in sun and groom in shade during a ceremony. I had this recently.
4. Wifi. This is gold for me. In the tedious world of instant gratification I can get images to the web at an event or wedding straight away during the event.
5. Touch screen focusing. I am using this more and more for high shots that I do a lot. To take in more of a scene or a flattering angle for larger ladies.
6. I just want to stress again how good the raw files look out of camera. I hardly have to do anything when I import with my basic basic preset. This saves immense amounts of time. Eg; I did a family shoot. Picked out the keepers, imported them with my basic preset, added some exposure( I shoot a bit under on purpose) sync and done. I crop a bit but that takes no time. It took me 60-90 minutes to cull, Import, edit and export 50 images for delivery. I did a shoot with a once with Nikon d800 and the opposite was the case. Colour correcting was pure tedium.

The 5d4 is an outstanding event camera.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 24, 2018 05:55 as a reply to  @ George Zip's post |  #25

People used to get from point a to point b using a horse and carriage too, however, I don't want to do that, I like getting to work in under 15 minutes. :)

People used to manually focus all their lenses before there was an AF system. That would be horrible in today's rushed society. Again, nothing I want to go back to, I used to shoot with an AE 1, yikes.

People used to have to go buy film at the store before a shoot, then roll the film into the back of the camera, take shots, roll the film back, put it into a canister, load another, and during the entire event, hope for keepers. They had to then send off the film or develop themselves, to get the prints out. Again, nothing I ever want to go back to.

Technology and features/functions/per​formance advances. Do we "need" these bells and whistles? No, we can get along without the improvements. But why would you not, if funds don't stop you? As others have found out through the ages, these features just help you gain access to and take shots of situations previously difficult or impossible. Liveview, touchscreen, high resolution, high ISO, etc are all enhancers to the craft.

The 5D4 is one of Canon's all time best well-rounded cameras. The evidence is in how many people are still migrating to it, and it is being used as a comparator to others, 2 years after its release. Depending on what you shoot and how much you value your time, the price delta may very well be worth it. One can get a 5D4 for $2400, so $1500 over a 6D may very well be worth it for many.

AsifSalam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 24, 2018 06:37 |  #26

Exactly my point guys, i do agree 5D iV is way better then others and it has bit of everything and improved which you expect. But 6D is a very capable camera. I bought it cause I could not afford a 5D back then. I thought 1D IV can do everything but then i realised speed isnt everything. I reassessed what i really need compared to I JUST NEED but have no use for it.

I would like to go see Northern Lights this winter and thought the time laps will do well for 5D IV and dynamic range and ISO too.

The GPS eats up way too much battery and its quite difficult to use when you know you need the battery power when your travelling and not getting drained constantly.

Some Photos from 6D and it did serve me well and I hope I will be able to do even better with 5D IV will more improvements and better FPS. :)

Enjoy the photos below... :love::-D

Everest Flight in Nepal

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 8.3 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …est%20Flight%20​-%2058.jpg

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 7.92 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …est%20Flight%20​-%2062.jpg

Kathmandu

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 13.3 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …hotos/Thamel%20​-%2063.jpg

Stockholm Metro in Sweden

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://92.232.44.110 …Photos/Metro%20​-%2076.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Stockholm, Sweden in Spring

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 2.96 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …hotos/Image%20-%20224.jpg

Mountains & Landscape in Morocco

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 11.35 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …os/Quzazarat%20​-%2060.jpg

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 9.91 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …rika%20River%20​-%2057.jpg

Atlas Mountain, Sahara Desert and a village in an oasis

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 12.05 MB
http://92.232.44.110 …s/Quzazarat%20-%20328.jpg

Canon 1D Mark IV | Canon 5D Mark IV | Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 | Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 | Sigma 24-105mm f/4 Art | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (Macro) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Speedlite 580EX II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 24, 2018 06:44 as a reply to  @ AsifSalam's post |  #27

Nice pics!

You only need to upgrade if you find you want any one or more of these features. If not, then I feel the money would be a waste, and could go to glass instead. :) The 2 largest improvements over the 6D is really low ISO DR and the AF system. I would think those would drive a decision to upgrade, the others are more minor probably, depending on what you shoot.

- 50% more resolution
- Better high ISO
- 3fps more burst
- Larger buffer
- Flicker control
- Better AWB
- Better build
- Better rear LCD
- f8 AF

AsifSalam
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Nov 2017

Jul 24, 2018 06:54 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #28

Yes absolutely, added features are as good as once we get to use it and utilise it to make most of the investment $$$ hehe :)

George ­ Zip
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Jul 24, 2018 14:24 |  #29

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18669425 (external link)
Nice pics!

You only need to upgrade if you find you want any one or more of these features. If not, then I feel the money would be a waste, and could go to glass instead. :) The 2 largest improvements over the 6D is really low ISO DR and the AF system. I would think those would drive a decision to upgrade, the others are more minor probably, depending on what you shoot.

- 50% more resolution
- Better high ISO
- 3fps more burst
- Larger buffer
- Flicker control
- Better AWB
- Better build
- Better rear LCD
- f8 AF

Forgot to mention Flicker control. That is 24k gold

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,477 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 24, 2018 14:29 |  #30

George Zip wrote in post #18669751 (external link)
Forgot to mention Flicker control. That is 24k gold

Actually, Team Speed did not forget to mention flicker control. . It is the 7th item on his list of features.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

3,923 views & 34 likes for this thread
Worth upgrading from 6D to 5D Mark IV?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.