Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Jun 2018 (Monday) 06:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Want to take my own photos instead of hiring someone - How complicated?

danielx111
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 11, 2018 06:37 |  #1

Hi guys,

I'm starting my own fitness clothing line, here in my country it costs between 350-500$ for an hour to hire someone to take pictures outdoors which is over my budget.

I was thinking to learn it my self, I did read few articles and believe it's something possible to learn in few weeks with tranning.

My sister is a fitness model and she's the one who's modeling for my business so I also save a lot here, but my question is :

Does it possible to learn to take this kind of quality pictures in few weeks ?

https://www.instagram.​com/p/Bj0D_e5hCfb/ (external link)

https://www.instagram.​com/p/BikTCrbHMwp/ (external link)

https://www.instagram.​com/p/BjclMZMBkpw/ (external link)

If so, what canon should I be getting? My Budget is anywhere from 1000$ - 1500$, I rather buy something good to get those pictures.

And one last question is, how do they get the blurry effect? as I understood the Aperture has to be low as possible? around F\2.8?

I really appreciate any kind of help! thank you so much.

sponsored links
Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,423 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 11, 2018 08:48 |  #2

Short answer is no, you can’t learn to take pictures like that in a few weeks. There is so much involved here, learning to use the camera, learning lighting, learning posing a model etc.Hire someone who knows what they are doing.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

danielx111
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 11, 2018 09:42 |  #3

Larry Weinman wrote in post #18643127 (external link)
Short answer is no, you can’t learn to take pictures like that in a few weeks. There is so much involved here, learning to use the camera, learning lighting, learning posing a model etc.Hire someone who knows what they are doing.

Hi and thank you for your reply!

Okay, since I'm not looking to hire anyone, do you recommend any tutorial or ebook to learn for beginners?

And one more thing, I'm about to buy Canon T7i including all the kit, does this camera is good for this kind of shots?

Thank you!

Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,313 posts
Gallery: 286 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jun 11, 2018 09:53 |  #4

danielx111 wrote in post #18643156 (external link)
Hi and thank you for your reply!

Okay, since I'm not looking to hire anyone, do you recommend any tutorial or ebook to learn for beginners?

And one more thing, I'm about to buy Canon T7i including all the kit, does this camera is good for this kind of shots?

Thank you!

The T7i takes excellent pictures, fully up to pro quality, depending on requirements.

But you mentioned getting a blurry effect. You want to make the background and foreground out of focus. As you say, this is done by selecting a large aperture, like f/2.8 or even bigger, like f/1.8. You get the greatest effect with a full frame camera and big aperture lenses. How much of an effect do you need? It could be expensive to buy until you are happy.

Since you have decided not to hire a professional photographer, I suggest you buy or rent some equipment and try some photography. Only then will you discover how practical it is to do your own. Anyway, you might really enjoy it, and maybe even change vocations. :-)

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 11, 2018 10:40 |  #5

Curious where you live, Daniel?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

PhotosGuy
75,594 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited 5 months ago by PhotosGuy.

Jun 11, 2018 10:42 |  #6

When I was about 9 & my mother lent me her camera, she said, "Be sure to have the sun behind you." For the crappy drugstore processing, gray on gray, we had then it was good advice. Note that neither of the shots you linked have used that advice, & are shot in the open shade. Set your lens at f/2.8, & start with that low contrast lighting.
https://morguefile.com​/classroom (external link)

Virtual Camera (external link)
Notice the background changes when you use his "Shutter and Aperture" settings!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

danielx111
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 11, 2018 11:28 |  #7

Archibald wrote in post #18643164 (external link)
The T7i takes excellent pictures, fully up to pro quality, depending on requirements.

But you mentioned getting a blurry effect. You want to make the background and foreground out of focus. As you say, this is done by selecting a large aperture, like f/2.8 or even bigger, like f/1.8. You get the greatest effect with a full frame camera and big aperture lenses. How much of an effect do you need? It could be expensive to buy until you are happy.

Since you have decided not to hire a professional photographer, I suggest you buy or rent some equipment and try some photography. Only then will you discover how practical it is to do your own. Anyway, you might really enjoy it, and maybe even change vocations. :-)

Thank you for your detailed respond, I also just spoke to professional photographer and he told me if I buy Nikon D750 there's an automatic setting for those things, does it right? I saw this camera is quiet expensive but if it deliver high quality pictures and also have an automatic option I rather buy this model.

What do you think?

Thanks again!

danielx111
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 11, 2018 11:30 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18643205 (external link)
Curious where you live, Daniel?

I live in Israel, I spoke to two professional photographers here and their fees were so high, I really rather learn it by my self, even if it would take me couple of months, I'm not looking to take pictures of crazy views or anything like that, just outdoors photos with some models I'm in contact with.

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,354 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 11, 2018 11:36 |  #9

Three thoughts from a business perspective:

You are starting your own business. Congratulations! That makes your time and energy much too important to be branching out into another field.

It might be time to review your business plan to see if there are other predictable expenses that should be included.

Instead of learning the specialized skills of fashion photography you might want to consider learning the universal skills of finding affordable vendors and making partners of them.

Best wishes for a great business launch!

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

elitejp
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 11, 2018 11:51 |  #10

I dont see how those pictures are complicated. I would recommend a used 6d.
To the op learn iso, aperture and shutter speed triangle. Then dont shoot in bright sun. Compose your picture and take several shots.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 11, 2018 12:06 |  #11

elitejp wrote in post #18643245 (external link)
I dont see how those pictures are complicated.

Lighting is kinda boring and uncomplicated. That's about 1/10 of creating an image that is part of a brand catalog.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

elitejp
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 11, 2018 12:14 |  #12

I didnt see anything in those pictures that suggested complicated lighting

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,708 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 5 months ago by rantercsr.

Jun 11, 2018 12:18 |  #13

From what he posted , yeah looks pretty flat and basic.. all is needed is a shady spot, a prettt girl, and LR.. or whatever software

Will first results be exactly that? Probably not but close enough(if basic exposing is understood)that some practice could have close enough.

T7i , kit lens and a nifty 50 could at least get him started.
Again i dont mean youll be a pro photog suddenly, just that if you do your homework , you could come close enough that it will satisfy your immediate needs for photos that look better than cell phone snapshots

For the specicfic look that you posted

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,971 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. (3 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2018 12:21 |  #14

danielx111 wrote in post #18643233 (external link)
Thank you for your detailed respond, I also just spoke to professional photographer and he told me if I buy Nikon D750 there's an automatic setting for those things, does it right? I saw this camera is quiet expensive but if it deliver high quality pictures and also have an automatic option I rather buy this model.

What do you think?

Thanks again!

Bad advice.
On two counts.

- Don't think about buying more or different gear.
All DSLR's have automatic settings you can use. Nothing about the D750 auto setting is going is going to help.

- Concentrate on learning how to be a photographer. Although "automatic" will get you up and running, using Automatic settings will never offer results like those you linked to. Auto settings are a good place to start, but it is not what you have come hear and asked about. You don't need a forum, advice, or a class to set a camera to auto and let it make all the decisions.

If you don't have any camera/lens at all right now, look for either;
- A used 6D as already recommended, and an EF 85mm f/1.8 for portrait work. Far less $ than an f/2.8 zoom, faster aperture and better focal length for portraits.

- An even more affordable APS-c "Ti" or similar with the even more affordable EF 50mm f/1.8 STM (as recommended above)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,553 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 5 months ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

Jun 11, 2018 12:30 |  #15

Any camera should be able to take those pictures if you are outside with good diffused lighting, you don't even need a full frame.

A good crop body like any of the 24Mpx rebels, combined with the Canon 50 1.4 or the Canon 85 1.8, and a couple of Flashpoint flashes with an Xpro transmitter and cheap softboxes/stands would fit close to the budget and do this job easily, provided you also develop good post processing technique to punch up the results later.

$400 for body, $300 for lens, $200 for flashes, $100 for stands, $50 for softboxes, and $80 for trigger (USD amounts though, and on the used market potentially).

Just look for aesthetically pleasing photo areas with some protection from the sun (don't shoot in late morning through to early afternoon unless you are in the shade), then research both posing guides and learn a bit of GIMP or Lightroom for editing.

A better lens over the Canon, IMO, is the older Sigma DG 50 1.4 (non art) if you can find one of those. Slow to focus, but great IQ.

I will try to take my SL2 Rebel, that lens, and a flash or two this afternoon and show what kind of results you can get in Av mode with some tips on settings.

This was taken 8 years ago, my first paid senior portrait shoot with no real previous experience, with a 7D, 50mm and flash on the shoe. Nothing great, but comparable to the results that were posted as a goal. Had I researched posing concepts and worked more on the lighting, the results would have been better, so definitely read up as much as you can.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Business/Bri/i-jtHQDfg/0/29be890b/X2/IMG_8856-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,616 views & 38 likes for this thread
Want to take my own photos instead of hiring someone - How complicated?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.