Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Jun 2018 (Tuesday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Head and Monopod for 500mm f/4 IS 8.5 lbs beast?

Littleroot
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 12, 2018 17:55 |  #1

For the 500mm f/4 IS, 8.5 lbs beast, I would like feedback for selecting head and monopod.

I don't have much invested at the moment save for the small rectangular and larger hex Manfrotto plates. I've got a lightweight monopod with the said little rectangular Manfrotto plate, looks like the model 323 adapter with tilt head. Something like that which can handle the beast should suffice. The head really just needs to support folding the monopod down alongside the lens.

I'll probably only have this lens through October - we'll see how things go - so I don't want to spend too much on a complete system, but it has to be strong enough to take some abuse as I'm not exactly easy on my gear.

Late add: I probably want a lenscoat as well as this baby is like brand new, hardly seen the light of day.

Thanks, friends, for any suggestions. I need to get this on order ASAP.

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 12, 2018 18:57 |  #2

Have a look at these covers (I prefer them to Lenscoat) :

https://www.outdoorpho​tographygear.co.uk …aphy-gear-product-gallery (external link)

Get one of their "Premium" versions as they grip the lens body better.

The 500 F4 is not a beast at all - it is nice and cute as well as being quite slim, try an older 600 F4! As to mono pods, see if you can find a Sirui P324. They are getting hard to find but they are robust and ideal for your (future) lens. If you cannot find one then the larger P424 is also great (I have one) - a bit of overkill but no harm in that.

http://carmarthencamer​as.com …/sirui-p-424-monopod.html (external link)

http://carmarthencamer​as.com …carbon-fiber-monopod.html (external link)

I have put my P424 through a lot of abuse over the last 6 or so years and it still looks almost new. Naturally I would suggest a Gitzo mono pod but they are getting a bit silly price wise unless you can find a bargain, I did but I have never paid very much for any of my Gitzo stuff - just lucky?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 13, 2018 09:14 |  #3

Thank you.

I have sent an email to the outdoor photo people to see if they have a retailer in the United States. I would like to get it by this weekend if possible

I am looking at Sirui L-10 head which a friend just recommended as he has had it for years

Now looking for a plate with 1/4 and 3/8 screws

Sent from my mobile device

johnf3f wrote in post #18644187 (external link)
Have a look at these covers (I prefer them to Lenscoat) :

https://www.outdoorpho​tographygear.co.uk …aphy-gear-product-gallery (external link)

Get one of their "Premium" versions as they grip the lens body better.

The 500 F4 is not a beast at all - it is nice and cute as well as being quite slim, try an older 600 F4! As to mono pods, see if you can find a Sirui P324. They are getting hard to find but they are robust and ideal for your (future) lens. If you cannot find one then the larger P424 is also great (I have one) - a bit of overkill but no harm in that.

http://carmarthencamer​as.com …/sirui-p-424-monopod.html (external link)

http://carmarthencamer​as.com …carbon-fiber-monopod.html (external link)

I have put my P424 through a lot of abuse over the last 6 or so years and it still looks almost new. Naturally I would suggest a Gitzo mono pod but they are getting a bit silly price wise unless you can find a bargain, I did but I have never paid very much for any of my Gitzo stuff - just lucky?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jun 13, 2018 09:50 |  #4

In this thread;
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1429801

...I explain a great solution that I've been using for some time.

Prior to that I still used the "Sidekick" but with a tilt only head like the RRS or Sirui. that might be the most versatile solution, (tilt head semi permanently mounted on monopod with Sidekick as an option)

Another way to go is a "half" gimbal that will mount directly to the Monopod threads, like the "lensMaster"

I really like the Sirui L10, it does hold the 500mm fine, but it also feels a little less solid on title lock than the pricier Kirks and RRS.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,889 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 13, 2018 17:39 as a reply to  @ Littleroot's post |  #5

OOPS! I missed that you live in the US!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by Littleroot.

Jun 13, 2018 18:24 |  #6

That stuff looks great. If I keep the lens I'm getting something like that!

Now on order is L10, P326 pod (because it will fit in my Givi motorbike/scooter box) and Desmond 169mm plate and reducer. Hoping it all works out.

Thanks.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18644543 (external link)
In this thread;
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1429801

...I explain a great solution that I've been using for some time.

Prior to that I still used the "Sidekick" but with a tilt only head like the RRS or Sirui. that might be the most versatile solution, (tilt head semi permanently mounted on monopod with Sidekick as an option)

Another way to go is a "half" gimbal that will mount directly to the Monopod threads, like the "lensMaster"

I really like the Sirui L10, it does hold the 500mm fine, but it also feels a little less solid on title lock than the pricier Kirks and RRS.

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited 2 months ago by Littleroot. (2 edits in all)

Jun 13, 2018 18:28 |  #7

johnf3f wrote in post #18644830 (external link)
OOPS! I missed that you live in the US!

I could do with updating my profile, probably.

I got the cheapest Lenscoat on Amazon. The forest green must be unloved because that color is $20 less than the rest. Ooh, wow, now out of stock. I must have got the last one

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,811 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2018 18:39 |  #8

I used to use a tilt head on a monopod but now just a RRS QR and don't miss the tilt head. so I guess it depends on what you're shooting

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 13, 2018 18:44 |  #9

ed rader wrote in post #18644869 (external link)
I used to use a tilt head on a monopod but now just a RRS QR and don't miss the tilt head. so I guess it depends on what you're shooting

Tilt head is good for folding monopod parallel to the lens, if nothing else. Will see.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
22,811 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Jun 13, 2018 21:28 as a reply to  @ Littleroot's post |  #10

hmmm. never did that. why would you do that?

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 14, 2018 01:39 |  #11

ed rader wrote in post #18644963 (external link)
hmmm. never did that. why would you do that?

Not for shooting but for transporting or storage without breaking it down. Mock-up image below.

In this image the monopod and tilt head was bought for a 300mm 2.8 but never saw much use. Head is to small for the 500. L-10 en route with carbon monopod.

BTW, I'm not sure I've yet to get the lenscoat on correctly. I know I'm missing the collar cover strip but still too much white (?)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,731 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2011
Post edited 1 month ago by Phoenixkh.

Jun 21, 2018 22:37 |  #12

I love my RRS MH-02 LR. With the tripod ring, going from landscape to portrait is a snap.

Using a smaller lens, the rotation works flawlessly

There are less expensive options out now as well.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links

595 views & 2 likes for this thread
Head and Monopod for 500mm f/4 IS 8.5 lbs beast?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.