Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 18:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Self-fulfillment vs. website that offers fulfillment

Mare333
47 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2017

Jun 13, 2018 18:32 |  #1

Hello, Marianne here with a question. My question is to those of you who use websites providers that offer fulfillment through an integrated lab - do you upload HIGH resolution images RIGHT AWAY or is there a way to still SOMEHOW upload LOW resolution images FIRST even though fulfilling through a provider? I am torn between picking a website that offers fulfillment and fulfilling myself. My main problem with using the website that offers fulfillment through an integrated lab (ex. WHCC) is that this way I can NOT upload LOW resolution images FIRST since the client will be ordering DIRECTLY from the lab so whatever image I uploaded THAT'S the image that will be sent to the lab for printing. Ideally I would prefer to upload low resolution and/or watermarked ones FIRST and let the client make the selections from these low resolution ones. Then I would make high resolution images available to them. So is there a way to upload LOW resolution images FIRST while using the website provider that offers fulfillment or will I have to upload HIGH resolution images in that case? Hope you can clarify this issue for me, thank you very much,
Marianne

sponsored links
Hikin ­ Mike
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,345 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2018 02:48 |  #2

I use SmugMug. Upload the hi-res files. You can select how big the photo can be displayed. The 'Power' and 'Business' plan offers watermarks.

https://www.smugmug.co​m/features (external link)

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited 6 days ago by Lyndön. (2 edits in all)

Jun 14, 2018 04:38 |  #3

Hikin Mike wrote in post #18645066 (external link)
I use SmugMug. Upload the hi-res files. You can select how big the photo can be displayed. The 'Power' and 'Business' plan offers watermarks.

Same here. I upload full res files to my SmugMug site, then choose my display size and watermark through that function on the website (you don’t have to watermark your originals). With SmugMug you can choose from EZ-Prints, WHCC, or BayPhoto as your lab for prints/canvases/etc, but EZ-prints does all of the other merchandise like magnets, phone cases, etc. I personally find that BayPhoto has better quality than EZ-prints, but they are a bit more expensive. WHCC was added after I had used and been happy with BayPhoto, so I have no experience with them. You can have them send you test prints from each lab for you to evaluate if you’d like.

You also have the option to do personal delivery. The lab will ship all orders to you, then you can do the delivery.

GEAR LIST

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jul 2017

Jun 14, 2018 10:10 |  #4

Hikin Mike wrote in post #18645066 (external link)

Thank you very much for replying. So is the watermark automatically removed as the photos forwarded to the lab? So that way ONLY when the client VIEWS the images on the website they see the watermark?

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jul 2017

Jun 14, 2018 10:11 |  #5

Lyndön wrote in post #18645083 (external link)
Same here. I upload full res files to my SmugMug site, then choose my display size and watermark through that function on the website (you don’t have to watermark your originals). With SmugMug you can choose from EZ-Prints, WHCC, or BayPhoto as your lab for prints/canvases/etc, but EZ-prints does all of the other merchandise like magnets, phone cases, etc. I personally find that BayPhoto has better quality than EZ-prints, but they are a bit more expensive. WHCC was added after I had used and been happy with BayPhoto, so I have no experience with them. You can have them send you test prints from each lab for you to evaluate if you’d like.

You also have the option to do personal delivery. The lab will ship all orders to you, then you can do the delivery.

Thank you very much for your reply,
Marianne

Hikin ­ Mike
6,345 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2018 14:21 |  #6

Mare333 wrote in post #18645193 (external link)
Thank you very much for replying. So is the watermark automatically removed as the photos forwarded to the lab? So that way ONLY when the client VIEWS the images on the website they see the watermark?

Yes. If you use a watermark via SmugMug then it's displayed ONLY online. They don't print it. The only way you're going to have a print with the watermark is if you add that to the photo when uploaded....like adding it using Photoshop.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)

Hikin ­ Mike
6,345 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jun 14, 2018 14:23 |  #7

Just to add, I don't use a watermark (not yet). I use BayPhoto for my lab and I've been very happy with them.

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
47 posts
Joined Jul 2017

Jun 14, 2018 14:46 |  #8

Hikin Mike wrote in post #18645314 (external link)
Yes. If you use a watermark via SmugMug then it's displayed ONLY online. They don't print it. The only way you're going to have a print with the watermark is if you add that to the photo when uploaded....like adding it using Photoshop.

Thank you very much for your insight. I am looking into Bay Photo and WHCC.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,001 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 14, 2018 21:16 |  #9

You can use your own watermark (logo created in Photoshop, etc) or you can make a basic one online through their website. Once you upload it, you can choose to add/remove the watermarks at any time and the original photos are never affected. SmugMug has a support forum where you can get help and ask questions as well. That was a lot of help when I was first setting up my website.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

123 views & 0 likes for this thread
Self-fulfillment vs. website that offers fulfillment
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.