Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 18 Jun 2018 (Monday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

consistency in color from 1 headshot to another

schewitt
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 18, 2018 15:40 |  #1

Greetings and thanks for your consideration of this question.

I have a number of corporate headshots across the country that I am shooting for a client. The biggest complaint of the current headshots is inconsistency in color be it skin tone and background.

I use a gray card however I get very disappointing and inconsistent results. I used a gray background with 2 lights for the existing portraits. I end up sampling with the picker on the background.

Fortunately we have eliminated the background light so the possibility of inconsistency from the background light and Key light is eliminated.

I know I need a better gray card. Anyone know the best one to buy? I purchased one and is plastic. It shoots very blue.

My camera is a Mrkiii and my raw editing is Capture 1. I use a small octodome on a Dyna-lite.

* Or is the question "how do I get my monitior more consistent?" I tether when I capture but use a iMAC 27" to process. Both monitors get calibrated.

sponsored links
Bardi
101 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2018

Jun 18, 2018 15:50 |  #2

schewitt wrote in post #18647485 (external link)
Greetings and thanks for your consideration of this question.

I have a number of corporate headshots across the country that I am shooting for a client. The biggest complaint of the current headshots is inconsistency in color be it skin tone and background.

I use a gray card however I get very disappointing and inconsistent results. I used a gray background with 2 lights for the existing portraits. I end up sampling with the picker on the background.

Fortunately we have eliminated the background light so the possibility of inconsistency from the background light and Key light is eliminated.

I know I need a better gray card. Anyone know the best one to buy? I purchased one and is plastic. It shoots very blue.

My camera is a Mrkiii and my raw editing is Capture 1. I use a small octodome on a Dyna-lite.

* Or is the question "how do I get my monitior more consistent?" I tether when I capture but use a iMAC 27" to process. Both monitors get calibrated.

Examples of your issue?

Gear List
Critique welcome. Editing ok. Thanks for looking

01Ryan10
Goldmember
1,046 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jun 18, 2018 17:02 |  #3

A couple of things I'd consider:

1. Do you have too much ambient light leaking in on your mobile studio?
2. Your portable lights could be bouncing off of other surfaces in the vicinity such as low ceilings, desks, colored walls, etc...

http://RyanLunaPhotogr​aphy.com (external link)
IG: @01ryanluna10 (external link)

Micro5797
487 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by Micro5797.

Jun 18, 2018 17:58 |  #4

This should be more accurate then a grey card as it will use software in Lightroom to ensure all of the colors are accurate.I don't ahve one personally, but i sure do need one. X-Rite ColorChecker Passport

https://www.amazon.com …ef=pd_sl_5skveh​eys6_b_p38 (external link)

schewitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 19, 2018 13:30 |  #5

Thank you.You are correct about the many possible reflecting colors surrounding the many different places we shoot these. However, I believe in theory a gray card should always be able to bring the color back to its proper gray balance. What i am noticing is a color/contrast shift from one person to another in the same session.

I'm baffled. I go back to the monitor drifting and possibly the window light that changes in my office through out the day.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 19, 2018 13:39 |  #6

Some light sources, especially cheap office light, will flicker with the electric cycle. So if it is present in the exposure, it will easily change from shot to shot.

With decent strobes you should be able to stop down enough to eliminate most ambient light. If you have already done that then the issue is with the strobes/lights.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

schewitt
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 21, 2018 09:30 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #7

What issues with the strobes should I be looking into?

THX!

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,056 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 26, 2018 22:51 |  #8

schewitt wrote in post #18648823 (external link)
What issues with the strobes should I be looking into?

It's not the strobes but the natural or artificial ambient light. Either the shifting white balance from the natural light or the shifting output of overhead fluorescent.

The solution to both is the overpower them with strobes.

schewitt wrote in post #18647936 (external link)
....I go back to the monitor drifting and possibly the window light that changes in my office through out the day.

The monitor would have to be really badly broken to drift during a single session.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,170 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 06, 2018 09:44 |  #9

I have never used a gray card but have had no issues with an X-Rite Passport and processed with CaptureOne.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,990 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 26, 2018 11:28 |  #10

I use a WhiBal card and have had no problems keeping my color balance within reasonable limits IF and ONLY IF my lights provide virtually the only illumination for the image. Opening the image in Adobe Camera RAW, I use the white balance eye dropper to balance out the color...

The big advantage to using strobes for lighting a portrait is that I can overwhelm the ambient light.

If I am shooting in my studio, I like to have the strobes as my only light source with the modeling lights as the only working illumination. If you are using strobes that do not have modeling light such as hotshoe flashes, - you could eliminate the ambient light impact with a very high shutter speed.

I would recommend using a standardized setup with the lights in the same relative positions and I would definitely recommend using the same type of background throughout the series of portraits.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,626 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 26, 2018 12:23 |  #11

To reduce inconsistencies in color and light from location to location you need to control your environment at each location. This means reducing or negating all outside light sources at the locations. In office buildings this can often be easily done by requesting a room away from any windows. Room lights are easier to control than light leaking in from windows. Set your camera settings so the only light being registered on the sensor are the ones you introduce. By keeping your light placement (specially the background light) consistent from location to location you can get better results. I use a string meter for consistency as it allows me to place the lights consistently to the background all the time (6 feet is 6 feet no matter where you go).

Hope this helps.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,075 views & 1 like for this thread
consistency in color from 1 headshot to another
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.