Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 20 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 22:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND culturejam (showing now: culturejam)
Overall Rating8.5
Overall Image Quality8.5
Value for Money7.5
Bokeh9
Sharpness9
Contrast8.5
Focusing6.5
Must Have7
Suitability to Intended Use8
Got What I Expected8
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD

Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by culturejam

culturejam
205 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Jun 20, 2018 22:15 |  #1

45mm might seem like an odd focal length, but Tamron claims it’s the closest angle of view you can get to how a human actually sees the world (on a full-frame sensor). And I agree that it does feel a little bit more “natural” than either 35mm or 50mm focal lengths. It’s not dramatically different, but it’s pretty good marketing on Tamron’s part.

Overall, this is a solid lens. It’s very well built (it’s comfortably heavy), has weather sealing, offers vibration compensation (image stabilization), and has a respectably fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. It just feels robust and has a great look. Image quality is very nice as you will see in the sample photos (available at http://tightcamera.com​/tamron-sp-45mm-review/ (external link)).

Okay, so f/1.8 isn’t the widest aperture you can get in a “normal” perspective lens, but it’s definitely on the fast side of things. Sure, the Canon 50mm f/1.2 is super-fast, but it’s also more than 3x the cost of this Tamron, and it doesn’t have built-in image stabilization.

Including image stabilization in a normal-perspective lens was an industry first for Tamron with the SP 45mm. And it’s a robust system, offering 3.5 stops of stabilization performance (according to Tamron). In my tests, it works quite well and is very quiet.

The moderately fast f/1.8 aperture plus the effective image stabilization make the Tamron SP 45mm a perfect lens for hand-held shooting in low-light situations. It’s also ideal for street photography, in my opinion.

This isn’t a macro lens, but it can focus as close as 11.4″ (0.29m). It won’t replace a dedicated macro lens, but it can get the job done for certain macro needs. Compare this performance to the Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, which has a minimum focus distance of nearly 14″ (0.35m). Doesn’t sound like much, but it makes a big difference.

Because of the 9 aperture blades, bokeh is round and smooth at all f stops. Some would say that it lacks character because of this, but I find that unremarkable bokeh is less distracting (especially for portraits). Whether you find round/smooth bokeh to be a good thing or not, you can rest assured the Tamron SP 45mm does not produce harsh or ugly bokeh “balls” or highlights.

More details: http://tightcamera.com​/tamron-sp-45mm-review/ (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from culturejam's gallery.

www.tightcamera.com

GammyKnee
152 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Feb 2015
Post edited 1 month ago by GammyKnee.

Jul 29, 2018 08:45 |  #2

I got the Tamron 45 pretty much as soon as regular stock reached the UK; it quickly became my favorite lens and it still is. Rendering is the on the whole beautiful, AF is pretty good on the 3 bodies with which I've used it (Canon 5D2, 5D3, 5D4) and the VC implementation is very good. The short minimum focus is also nice to have. The only negatives from my point of view are the occasional appearance of the "onion"effect in OOF highlights and a bit more CA than I'd like, and they're only an issue in certain shots.

Formerly Beanie's Dad (account lost in forum update)
Gear: 5D II & IV, assorted lenses, Canon & Yongnuo flash

NolaLove
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 04, 2018 15:17 |  #3

I loved this lens and wanted to keep it b/c my copy was RAZOR SHARP but once it went indoors, the AF was too slow. I missed a few key shots that my Canon L lenses would never miss. Was hoping for a cheaper alternative to a 50mm 1.2.

GregoryF
Goldmember
2,306 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 09, 2018 12:49 |  #4

I love this lens. It has quickly become one of my favorites. Love the sharpnes, VC, close focusing and most of all, the rendering.

6D, 5D, 7D, 50D, 40D, Xsi, PENTAX mx-1, Sony a6000, Sony a3000 too many lenses, flashes and aux. gear to list!:cool:
A simple hobby gone horribily wrong

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

430 views & 2 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by culturejam
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.