Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 28 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My journey back to Canon!

minsoochoiphoto
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jun 28, 2018 12:47 |  #1

What's up! Here's my story. 8 years ago, started off my photo journey by diving head first into Canon. Got a 7D when it was just released. Then quickly saw the advantage of full frame sensors and so I sold my 7D and picked up a 5D Mark II. A great move! Still the most important camera ever to me. It got me addicted to photography as well as videography. Paired that with a 50 1.2L and I was bliss! 5D electric circuits fried when I was in New York and got caught up in a huge rainstorm at Coney Island. The camera had to be sent in for repairs which I could not afford so I sold the camera before the repairs were complete and salvaged a bad situation.

From there, I went to Nikon for a few years (they were leading in camera development) then Fujifilm (amazingly small with high quality), got a new job, and then I dived into Leica. Leica was a really interesting experience for me. The size and discreteness are what drew me to it. I had to change the way that I shoot and think about photography and I am so glad that I did. But I am continually drawn to video and action photography (kids, sports, etc.) and so I sold that system and now, this week, I used the money from my previous investments and I have chosen to buy a Canon 1DX MKII with a 16-35 2.8LIII.

It comes tomorrow. Just wanted to share some exciting news to fellow Canon lovers.

I'm back! Have a great day! :-)

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,585 posts
Gallery: 331 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2018 13:01 |  #2

Thats pretty awesome, and welcome back, but all of them are pretty good systems anymore... just what fills the need for the job.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Ah-keong
806 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jul 03, 2018 02:30 |  #3

I would say that Mirrorless complement dSLR as of today.
why not have them both? Canon and Leica....  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
9,903 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 03, 2018 06:54 |  #4

Ah-keong wrote in post #18655479 (external link)
I would say that Mirrorless complement dSLR as of today.
why not have them both? Canon and Leica....  :p

I agree. Each type of camera has its advantages and disadvantages. But I seem to use mirrorless quite a bit more often than dSLR. In fact, I seem to use my film SLRs more than my dSLRs! :)

"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.

minsoochoiphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 03, 2018 10:47 |  #5

A tad bit minimalist here! Just the essentials :-)

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,902 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 04, 2018 09:31 |  #6

I'm living in both worlds right now - I have both a Canon and Sony kit. I'm still using my canon glass a lot, the bodies not so much. That said, did you say your bought your kit to do sports but you bought a 1DX MKII with a 16-35 2.8LIII.? Kinda wondered what the logic there was.....

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

minsoochoiphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 04, 2018 12:18 |  #7

Croasdail wrote in post #18656165 (external link)
That said, did you say your bought your kit to do sports but you bought a 1DX MKII with a 16-35 2.8LIII.? Kinda wondered what the logic there was.....

No, I did not. But I appreciate you making sure my logic works! :mrgreen:

yellowt2
245 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2018 17:51 |  #8

minsoochoiphoto wrote in post #18656264 (external link)
No, I did not. But I appreciate you making sure my logic works! :mrgreen:

Well, actually you kinda did:

minsoochoiphoto wrote in post #18652992 (external link)
I am continually drawn to video and action photography (kids, sports, etc.) and so I sold that system and now, this week, I used the money from my previous investments and I have chosen to buy a Canon 1DX MKII with a 16-35 2.8LIII

I only mention it because I thought the same thing when I read your first post: "If he went back to Canon because he's looking to do action photography then why buy a 16-35mm as his only lens?"

minsoochoiphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by minsoochoiphoto. (3 edits in all)

Jul 06, 2018 18:30 |  #9

yellowt2 wrote in post #18657567 (external link)
Well, actually you kinda did:

I only mention it because I thought the same thing when I read your first post: "If he went back to Canon because he's looking to do action photography then why buy a 16-35mm as his only lens?"

Oh, you guys are assuming that I am only buying one lens (the 16-35) indefinitely? My bad, that's not what my post is meant to imply.

I'm sitting here scratching my head why anyone would question a 1DX for action photography... again, my post says video and action photography (kids, sports, etc.), not just "sports." :rolleyes:

minsoochoiphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 06, 2018 18:58 |  #10

My roadmap is to get the 85MM 1.4L next. I am super stoked. Already went through a full charge with the 1DX. I am falling in love all over :D

yellowt2
245 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 09, 2018 10:25 as a reply to  @ minsoochoiphoto's post |  #11

The 1DXII is an excellent choice, I was just expecting something more like a 70-200 for the starter lens.

I guess the 16-35 makes more sense for certain types of action video, but it not what I think of for sports.

More importantly you know what you want for the type of shooting you do (better than we do), which is why I didn't reply at first. When you say "sports" I think of field/court sports, which generally require longer lenses to get good shots

minsoochoiphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 09, 2018 19:02 |  #12

yellowt2 wrote in post #18659143 (external link)
The 1DXII is an excellent choice, I was just expecting something more like a 70-200 for the starter lens.

I guess the 16-35 makes more sense for certain types of action video, but it not what I think of for sports.

More importantly you know what you want for the type of shooting you do (better than we do), which is why I didn't reply at first. When you say "sports" I think of field/court sports, which generally require longer lenses to get good shots

The 70-200 is a fantastic lens for sure! And you are right, longer lens are a must for sports. It’s on my very long list of desired lens ✌️

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,834 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 09, 2018 19:44 |  #13

i incorporate alot of my photography with the 16-35 f/2.8.

The 70-200 mk2 seems to be one of Canon's greatest value in IQ and build. Not sure if the mk3 is worth it to be honest.

congrats on your new adventures with Canon once again. Your old 7D is a body that is really showing it's age. The 1dx is just worlds better and is a beast.

You can always entertain yourself with a Canon FF mirrorless when it comes around.

I'm just coasting shooting with 3 systems. I still have great love for the mirrored Canon world. I never miss a beat with my Canon gear. I've genuinely tried to do the same with my Fuji and so far it cannot meet my exact needs in every situation.

The only complaint with the Canon mirrored body is size and weight. It just delivers though!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 09, 2018 19:59 |  #14
bannedBack in 3 months

AlanU wrote in post #18659511 (external link)
i incorporate alot of my photography with the 16-35 f/2.8.

The 70-200 mk2 seems to be one of Canon's greatest value in IQ and build. Not sure if the mk3 is worth it to be honest.

congrats on your new adventures with Canon once again. Your old 7D is a body that is really showing it's age. The 1dx is just worlds better and is a beast.

You can always entertain yourself with a Canon FF mirrorless when it comes around.

I'm just coasting shooting with 3 systems. I still have great love for the mirrored Canon world. I never miss a beat with my Canon gear. I've genuinely tried to do the same with my Fuji and so far it cannot meet my exact needs in every situation.

The only complaint with the Canon mirrored body is size and weight. It just delivers though!!

Size weight and image quality drove me from Canon to Sony for my travel and landscape photography and as I sit here today, nothing Canon has really even gives my a tingle to go back. Sony covers those bases extremely well.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,834 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 09, 2018 20:10 |  #15

Hogloff wrote in post #18659519 (external link)
Size weight and image quality drove me from Canon to Sony for my travel and landscape photography and as I sit here today, nothing Canon has really even gives my a tingle to go back. Sony covers those bases extremely well.

That is your shooting style and preference.

I like the form factor of my Sony A7iii but it's still not my go to system. 3 grand for each GM glass is spendy for us Canadians. The size of the GM 70-200 is no benefit to a small bodied sony. A larger Canon is just heavier and it's just another camera that renders differently.

Seems if you compare Nikon, Canon and Sony. Sony is so incredibly sharp and provides alot of contrast. Bokeh in the GM 70-200 is beautiful or depending on background very nervous. Canon for me seems less nervous in the 70-200.

Everyone has a preference so they can shoot whatever makes them smile..... ;)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

sponsored links

1,649 views & 14 likes for this thread
My journey back to Canon!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.