Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Westcott Eyelighter vs. stripbox?

ZoranC
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 28, 2018 23:49 |  #1

I have been looking at Westcott Eyelighter and was wondering would I be better off with a stripbox?

Way I see it pros of Eyelighter are that it has that nice wraparound illumination and attractive catchlight. Cons are that assembling it is hassle, it is bulky, and you can not control how much it will illuminate, plus you are limited how far from subject it can be.

On the other hand stripbox does not maybe result in as attractive illumination (but how bad it could be?) _but_ it is easier to set up, you can control amount of illumination it will provide, and it is flexible distance wise. Plus there would be one less modifier to carry.

So does anyone have experience with both of these setups? What are your thoughts?

sponsored links
Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
884 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 29, 2018 00:17 |  #2

ZoranC wrote in post #18653325 (external link)
I have been looking at Westcott Eyelighter and was wondering would I be better off with a stripbox?

Way I see it pros of Eyelighter are that it has that nice wraparound illumination and attractive catchlight. Cons are that assembling it is hassle, it is bulky, and you can not control how much it will illuminate, plus you are limited how far from subject it can be.

On the other hand stripbox does not maybe result in as attractive illumination (but how bad it could be?) _but_ it is easier to set up, you can control amount of illumination it will provide, and it is flexible distance wise. Plus there would be one less modifier to carry.

So does anyone have experience with both of these setups? What are your thoughts?

Pure marketing. Save your money.

Use a reflector. You can get 3 white or silver cake pans for reflectors from Walmart for $3. Tape them together in pairs or threes. Or use the ever versatile striplight.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

Osa713
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Osa713.

Jun 29, 2018 00:24 |  #3

Depends on the look you want...The eyelighter will reduce or soften shadows under the chin, not totally remove them like a strip box.

I thought about getting one but for the cost I can add another Godox strobe to my arsenal. I went w/ a big reflector and I am happy so far. If I want a different look I will use a strip box.

Shameless plug I’m selling an extra strip box in the classified section :-P

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Strobo
104 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 29, 2018 13:09 |  #4

ZoranC wrote in post #18653325 (external link)

Using a strobe for fill over a reflector has a lot of advantages, one of the main ones being the ability to vary the amount of fill in precise increments from the camera position, as well as remotely turning fill on or off.

I just picked up an inexpensive 24x80 stripbox and plan to put it in use as an eyelighter alternative. It won't have the same curved catchlight as the eyelighter but it's wide enough to provide plenty of wraparound for individuals and should also work well for couples, small groups, etc..

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 29, 2018 14:06 |  #5

Osa713 wrote in post #18653347 (external link)
Depends on the look you want...The eyelighter will reduce or soften shadows under the chin, not totally remove them like a strip box.

Can one reduce/soften shadows under chin, rather than totally eliminating them, by lowering power used with strip box? I figure that should be possible and one could have fine control of how much those shadows are softened, especially if one has strobe that works in 1/10 of stop.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 29, 2018 14:08 |  #6

Strobo wrote in post #18653629 (external link)
Using a strobe for fill over a reflector has a lot of advantages, one of the main ones being the ability to vary the amount of fill in precise increments from the camera position, as well as remotely turning fill on or off.

I just picked up an inexpensive 24x80 stripbox and plan to put it in use as an eyelighter alternative. It won't have the same curved catchlight as the eyelighter but it's wide enough to provide plenty of wraparound for individuals and should also work well for couples, small groups, etc..

Thank you, that has been my train of though too. I will be curious to see your results.

Angmo
884 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 29, 2018 17:10 |  #7

Here's a shot with Walmart cake pans. Just below her hands. This is uncropped to show the pan at the bottom. Cropped is a few inches above the hands.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from Angmo's gallery.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 29, 2018 21:03 |  #8

ZoranC wrote in post #18653656 (external link)
Can one reduce/soften shadows under chin, rather than totally eliminating them, by lowering power used with strip box? I figure that should be possible and one could have fine control of how much those shadows are softened, especially if one has strobe that works in 1/10 of stop.

Absolutely, using a strip box is very versatile you can angle it to taste move it in to wrap the light around the subject or move it back. You can throw on a grid to control spill on the background. Lots of fun stuff

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2018 03:39 |  #9

Angmo wrote in post #18653742 (external link)
Here's a shot with Walmart cake pans.

I could never use cake pans, Walmart or not. I would just get distracted from the shoot thinking about cake.

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2018 03:40 |  #10

Osa713 wrote in post #18653826 (external link)
Absolutely, using a strip box is very versatile you can angle it to taste move it in to wrap the light around the subject or move it back. You can throw on a grid to control spill on the background. Lots of fun stuff

Thank you! I think I will go for strip box.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,010 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by dmward.

Jun 30, 2018 09:09 |  #11

Here is a rig I put together for headshots.
It works really well. One light for subject. One light through translucent background for white.
Used it Thursday for a job. AD200 in octa was at 1/4 power, AD360 in a shoot through umbrella behind the translucent background for even coverage was at 1/8 power.

I have the subject stand with chest against the silver reflector. Octa, with inner diffusion only is aimed down a bit to ensure bounce.

I have found that keeping the reflector flatter than in picture is better than tilted toward subject as in the picture.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,823 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 30, 2018 14:37 |  #12

I had to google eyelighter.

All I can say is, wow, three hundred bucks for bendy tinfoil. Wow.

I use white foam core or a cheap, round, collapseable reflector.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ZoranC
THREAD ­ STARTER
285 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 30, 2018 15:12 |  #13

dmward wrote in post #18654030 (external link)
I have found that keeping the reflector flatter than in picture is better than tilted toward subject as in the picture.

Thank you, that is a great tip!

Osa713
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 30, 2018 15:18 |  #14

dmward wrote in post #18654030 (external link)
Here is a rig I put together for headshots.
It works really well. One light for subject. One light through translucent background for white.
Used it Thursday for a job. AD200 in octa was at 1/4 power, AD360 in a shoot through umbrella behind the translucent background for even coverage was at 1/8 power.

I have the subject stand with chest against the silver reflector. Octa, with inner diffusion only is aimed down a bit to ensure bounce.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=186​54030&i=i211023466
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=186​54030&i=i256190097
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

Thanks for sharing your setup, my go to headshot setup is the same minus the ad200 as a background/ rim light.

I like how the shoot thru background wrapped around the cheek area, I wonder how that would look gelled? Going to experiment now lol.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

Angmo
884 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 30, 2018 15:26 |  #15

ZoranC wrote in post #18653936 (external link)
I could never use cake pans, Walmart or not. I would just get distracted from the shoot thinking about cake.

It’s just white or silver covered cardboard. Located in the baking section.

sponsored links

994 views & 14 likes for this thread
Westcott Eyelighter vs. stripbox?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.