Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 23:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Westcott Eyelighter vs. stripbox?

owenegan
276 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 30, 2018 19:29 |  #16

Hi David,

Thanks for posting the shot of your headshot setup.

Was the sample portrait done with the pictured setup (background light = AD200 barebulb shooting through the background) or with the one you describe in the text (360 in shoot-through umbrella behind background).

Also, what is the curved black piece on the top of the background stand that is providing the offset for the magnetic background holder?

Thanks!

Owen.

dmward wrote in post #18654030 (external link)
Here is a rig I put together for headshots.
It works really well. One light for subject. One light through translucent background for white.
Used it Thursday for a job. AD200 in octa was at 1/4 power, AD360 in a shoot through umbrella behind the translucent background for even coverage was at 1/8 power.

I have the subject stand with chest against the silver reflector. Octa, with inner diffusion only is aimed down a bit to ensure bounce.

I have found that keeping the reflector flatter than in picture is better than tilted toward subject as in the picture.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=186​54030&i=i211023466
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by dmward in
./showthread.php?p=186​54030&i=i256190097
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

sponsored links
dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,992 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 30, 2018 21:36 |  #17

Osa713 wrote in post #18654150 (external link)
Thanks for sharing your setup, my go to headshot setup is the same minus the ad200 as a background/ rim light.

I like how the shoot thru background wrapped around the cheek area, I wonder how that would look gelled? Going to experiment now lol.

Controlling the wrap is a combination of distance from the background and power setting of the light.
If subject is too close to the background then lowing power to eliminate wrap results in a gray background ranging from middle gray upward to white.

I use a Fujifilm GFX with 100 F2.8 lens for headshots. I use F8 for the aperture, focused on the eyes to keep nose in focus and let ears begin to go out of focus. That also means that hair wisps are somewhat out of focus. That can cause some problems with dropping out a gray background. Thus, the need to work toward white with a light. The white or near white background also causes some marginally out of focus hair wisps to break up but its more natural looking.

My objective is for the three edges to be 255 so that the background blends to white with a website. It also makes it easier to cut out the background for compositing the headshot onto a different background.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,992 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 01, 2018 09:00 as a reply to  @ owenegan's post |  #18

The selfie was shot with the setup as shown.
The AD360 in shoot through umbrella was a setup I used this past week. Mainly because the AD360 was already setup for a group shoot.

The curved "thingie" is a Buff mini-boom. https://www.paulcbuff.​com …-boom-arm-offset-arm.html (external link)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

owenegan
276 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 01, 2018 20:02 as a reply to  @ dmward's post |  #19

Thanks David.

Is that Buff mini-boom made of plastic? I've got a nice Kupo offset arm but it's metal and heavy, and I'd be thrilled to shave off a few pounds. The Buff site doesn't mention weight, or even the length of the thing(?).

For headshots I've been using a lastolite triflector for fill and one or two flashes to light my background, but this setup requires at least double the space of yours. I'm eager to try out your everything-clamped-to-two-stands technique.

Any recommendations for a suitably-translucent background? And if you have the info easily at hand, could you tell me what hardware you use to clamp the reflector and the AD200 to the stands?

Thanks again. My back is already thrilled at the prospect of leaving

- triflector
- stand for triflector
- stand(s) for background light

at home and carrying one reflector and two clamps instead.

Owen.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
8,992 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited 14 days ago by dmward.

Jul 01, 2018 22:59 as a reply to  @ owenegan's post |  #20

My translucent background is one of these:https://www.fotodioxpr​o.com …-5in1?variant=334059287​11 (external link)

The Buff mini-boom is metal. Its about 12 inches long.
I hold the reflector with one of these: https://www.adorama.co​m/lslb1120.html (external link)

The light on a stand for the background is normal mounting

I now use a mini-boom to off set the main light from the stand to allow me to move the camera farther back without worrying about the stand blocking the shot. I use another mini-boom for the light and a clamp and short arm for the under chin reflector.

Here is a headshot I made last week with the setup:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

LGabrielPhoto
35 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 13 days ago by LGabrielPhoto.

Jul 02, 2018 14:09 |  #21

I am a big fan of the Eyelighter (sure which it was cheaper but doesnt take long to recover your investment if you are doing headshot work).
The look it provides is very flattering which my customers love plus the catchlight is very unique.
Like everything else in photography, its a matter of preferences..no rights or wrongs.

Here is a cellphone BTS shot of me using the Eyelighter while doing a headshot of Kevin Harrington (one of the original cast of Shark Tank)

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

617 views & 14 likes for this thread
Westcott Eyelighter vs. stripbox?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.