Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is there any money in dog photography?

gabe212
93 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Jul 03, 2018 17:30 |  #1

Been doing more and more dog portraits and I really love shooting them and the results I can get. Wondering if its worth making it a business or continue doing it as a hobby. ;-)a

sponsored links
gabe212
THREAD ­ STARTER
93 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Jul 03, 2018 17:31 |  #2

Pet photography* =]

Pigpen101
463 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2017

Jul 03, 2018 17:46 as a reply to  @ gabe212's post |  #3

I've been doing landscapes for a long time. A few years ago I was speaking to another photographer and telling him how less & less people are willing to spend money on large landscape prints. His reply, "There are two things people will always spend money on no matter how poor the economy is: Their children and their pets."

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,022 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jul 05, 2018 00:46 |  #4

Sadly I hate photographing children and pets.... but I certainly agree that people will always spend money on both. Here in HK people think dogs actually are children. I think my town actually has more pet/grooming stores and it has bars (or any other type of business).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 05, 2018 09:03 |  #5

There is a local studio owner who has two sides of her business boudoir and dog photography. She says on a good weekend (around holidays) of pet photography she makes as much as she does in a years worth of boudoir style sessions.

I think the key is to get in with some dog clubs or groups. Even better if the groups cater to either expensive dogs or owners with lots of disposable income. In other words not a dog club someone like me would be part of with my mutts. Granted I treat them just like my kids.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,794 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jul 10, 2018 11:20 |  #6

High-class pet photography is extremely lucrative these days. As has been said, people with pets instead of children will spend as much on their pets as parents do on children.

But you really need to do commercial-quality work, particularly knowing how to light fur to its best advantage.

sponsored links

543 views & 2 likes for this thread
Is there any money in dog photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.