Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 06 Jul 2018 (Friday) 05:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photographer salaries down 12% in the UK - surprised

valhig
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 06, 2018 05:58 |  #1

I do some data/salary analysis at my job and looked at photography salaries, since so many people are saying it's harder to make a full-time living with photography compared to just a few years ago - even in the last 12 months it looks like there's been a drop in advertised salaries, but there are more jobs out there. Do think it's moving more to a part-time/hobbyist job?

More info here: https://www.adzuna.co.​uk …salaries-the-big-picture/ (external link)

The main stats are:
There’s been a 12.1% year-on-year salary drop
18.2% increase in the number of job ads with 5257 live vacancies (as of 28/06/2018)
Average photographer salary is £27,677 (lower than the average of £33,559 taken from 1,137,184 UK jobs)
Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire are 2 of a handful of places to see large YoY salary increases

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,465 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 06, 2018 06:13 |  #2

How much of this data comes from self employeed photogs? Seems accurate data from that sector might be difficult to attain.

In the US, at least around here, it seems manufacturers are hiring in-house photographers more and more often. I worked an in-house gig for a year, it was terrible. I mean pay was terrible and the working environment was terrible. No one knew the first thing about photography and had the attitude that it was nothing more than placing a product and clicking a button. They ended up looking for an outside vendor whose quality was absurdly bad. I was shocked they were okay with it and more shocked the photog would provide such garbage.

I suspect that attitude is responsible for more job listings and salary decrease.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

valhig
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 06, 2018 06:17 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

The data is for salaried positions rather than self-employed photographers - it's based on all advertised positions currently in the UK (on our site). That said, there are still a lot of salaried positions being advertised so it's not an insignificant proportion of the market. It also filters out people who sell the odd stock photo and that's about it (given the volume, I think they would seriously skew the data for pro photographers, since we'd need to put in a baseline salary).

Do you think that photography is being bundled in with other jobs now? I've spoken to some people who say that they're primarily marketers/retouchers/w​hatever and photography is almost a value add rather than their primary offering but obviously that was once a separate job.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,465 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket. (4 edits in all)

Jul 06, 2018 06:27 |  #4

I have definitely seen that with some of these in-house jobs. The company I worked for had multiple locations and divisions. One division (main division) had a proper marketing department and used outside photographers. The place where I worked the sales manager handled "marketing" and it was nothing more than a cobbled together POS department and output.

That seems to be the trend ... the more sophisticated buyers still seek out highly qualified photogs ... with some in the middle doing production/volume work in house splitting time with some other job function and then hiring out for the beauty shots ... then the bottom feeders trying to hire someone for 1/2 to 2/3 typical salaries.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

156 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photographer salaries down 12% in the UK - surprised
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.