Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 06 Jul 2018 (Friday) 07:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Panorama Noob

fiwi
108 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2018 07:06 |  #1

Hello all.
This photo is my first ever panorama, 6 shots. I was recently in the South West of Western Australia on a small peak named Mount Trio. I have always loved seeing mountain range shots where there are multiple layers heading into the distance, so seeing as I haven't done a mountain shot like this before I thought I would try.

For a first pano Im reasonably happy, although I'm pretty sure there is a lot of improvement to be had. Possibly the bottom corners are too dark, the orange is a little too saturated on the right, and maybe the white balance is a little cool. Also not totally sure about the crop either.

If anyone would like to have some input of any kind It would be much appreciated.

Grant

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2018 07:15 |  #2

I decided to crop the hell out of it, which may be better.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 06, 2018 07:32 |  #3

There is quite alot of purple in the foliage bottom right, which isn't showing up in the in the file when saved on my computer. Any idea what the deal is with that?

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,254 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jul 06, 2018 07:54 |  #4

I think you're being too hard on yourself. Both shots are wall-hangable. Print them big.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

itsallart
Cream of the Crop
6,994 posts
Gallery: 452 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2015

Jul 06, 2018 08:15 |  #5

I think you have a lovely atmospheric perspective due to that gorgeous gradation.

Renata
Seeing lights and shadows is an art :)
Renata Sharman (external link)Tanami Muse (external link)
Facebook (external link) 500px (external link)
Live Event Painting (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 07, 2018 21:58 |  #6

The shift in colors is because your computer isn't saving to the same color palette your original image is in. For example your camera could be set up for sRGB or Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. You need to make sure you have consistent palettes through out your work flow or you will see these shifts.

For what it is worth.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 08, 2018 07:30 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #7

Thanks Croasdail

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 08, 2018 14:00 |  #8

Croasdail wrote in post #18658269 (external link)
The shift in colors is because your computer isn't saving to the same color palette your original image is in. For example your camera could be set up for sRGB or Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. You need to make sure you have consistent palettes through out your work flow or you will see these shifts.

For what it is worth.

I have a Nikon d750. It only has 2 colour space options, SRGB and Adobe RGB. I have always had it on Adobe RGB. If I save an image from photoshop back to Lightroom or export an image from Lightroom, they are always set at ProRGB. From what you are saying, this isn't a good idea?

Grant

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,807 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 08, 2018 22:58 |  #9

Each color space renders slightly different. If you want what is in camera, then on screen, then in print to match, it is best to use a consistent color pallet. The biggest two are screen then printer. Camera isn't as important because that image will be altered anyway. But how lightroom interprets the colors will depend on your color space. if you have a third party print your images, they should be able to provide you with a calibrated color profile you can use to make sure what they print matches what is on your screen.

Cheers

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 08, 2018 23:57 |  #10

Sorry for all the questions. So that means that I should change the colour profile for my MacBook as well?. I changed it to Pro photoRGB and it changed the colours drastically, not in a nice way .

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,592 posts
Gallery: 96 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Jul 09, 2018 08:43 as a reply to  @ fiwi's post |  #11

No, set your computer back to it's default color space.

Set all of your editing programs to work in the sRGB color space until you've had a chance to read up and understand - 'Color Management' and 'Color Problems?'.

Your camera: If you shoot only .jpg, use sRGB. If you shoot raw, it doesn't matter because your editing program's raw converter will apply a color space to the file upon import.

Lot's of reading to do..........;-)a

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

Shaun ­ Liddy
203 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Feb 2016

Jul 10, 2018 01:56 |  #12

From a visual perspective, I like the first more. To me it's like hearing an orchestra or just the clarinets.

avondale87
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Gallery: 209 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 10, 2018 02:37 |  #13

I'll echo Shaun's comments 100%.

From bushwalking experience, and seeing such in the raw, ie gazing in awe, that top one gives a greater overall appreciation of the depth of visual wonder and the transitions from one part of the landscape to the other are just lovely.
It's not that one really needs to see these sort of scenes personally, but this helps encapsulate that feeling.
It's simply stunning in my view, but I know how much more that would have been gazing on it and watching the light play, yes like a symphony, across the ranges.

Any others? No doubt it looks different as the light fades.

Richard

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,029 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 10, 2018 02:50 |  #14

I personally think it looks great and prefer the original crop with the clouds. The darkness in the corners works for me as does the orange. I weould say a TINY bit warmer on the white balance but other than that it's great!

Facebook (external link)
My Gofundme Campaign (external link)
Fuji XE1 | Fuji 18-55 f2.8 | Helios 44/m | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

fiwi
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 12, 2018 06:50 |  #15

Much appreciated guys

sponsored links

849 views & 6 likes for this thread
Panorama Noob
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.