Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 09 Jul 2018 (Monday) 07:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which strobe would you use in my situation.

ericz34
81 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Jul 09, 2018 07:59 |  #1

Hey everyone! So I’m not new to photography, but I am new to using strobes and I’ve become increasingly interested in lighting my subjects. I’m really torn between the ad200, vs the ad600. Im thinking of doing golden hour/blue hour style of shoots with a large soft box to really diffuse the light. I don’t know if the ad200 would be enough for 1-2 people? Or if I should just jump to the 600?

What’s holding me back isn’t necessary the price, it’s the fact that I feel like I don’t know if it’ll be overkill? Because I’ve never used flash I really don’t know what’s too much or too little power.

What would you purchase for someone getting into lighting people for the first time?

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Left Handed Brisket. (2 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 08:07 |  #2

A big question is, what is your shooting style?

Do you want to fire off a few shots in rapid succession?

Are the subjects going to be backlit?

Shooting and lighting full body?

If yes to those, higher power will help tremendously.

Edit: I wasn't going to suggest the 400 because it is/was just a rumor, but it is now apparently official.

https://photography-on-the.net …hp?t=1497665&go​to=newpost

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
81 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2016

Jul 09, 2018 08:38 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #3

Pretty much a yes to those, but if the 400 is coming out it might be a good compromise and what I’m looking for!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,859 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 12:35 |  #4

AD200 bare bulb (which is most appropriate to softbox use) guide number (meters) 60, per Godox...or 196 (feet)

10' at f/19.6, in a softbox lose about -1EV (or more, depending upon softbox design), so about f/14

For all those reading this thread...UNDERSTANDING the concept of Guide Number has value!!! eTTL may have made Guide Numbers superfluous for daily shooting, but not for equipment selection and the impact of modifiers upon light output, or being able to predict if something will work adequately for a specific situation.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 09, 2018 15:02 |  #5

The problem is that GN is both arcane and inflated/exaggerated by every light manufacturer in the same way flash duration is often expressed in t.05 times, not t.01

I appreciate the sentiment though.

I'd have to go back through my notes but I do have a spreadsheet of Streaklight 360II exposure values at 5 and 10ft in a softbox, and from there it's pretty easy to guess the numbers for a single and double AD200/eVOLV setup.

Wilt wrote in post #18659230 (external link)
AD200 bare bulb (which is most appropriate to softbox use) guide number (meters) 60, per Godox...or 196 (feet)

10' at f/19.6, in a softbox lose about -1EV (or more, depending upon softbox design), so about f/14

For all those reading this thread...UNDERSTANDING the concept of Guide Number has value!!! eTTL may have made Guide Numbers superfluous for daily shooting, but not for equipment selection and the impact of modifiers upon light output, or being able to predict if something will work adequately for a specific situation.

Current Portfolio (external link)

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 09, 2018 15:08 |  #6

Here's what I've got onhand - I call a silver interior, diffused, 6-7ft umbrella a Jumbrella. Smaller softbox output might be slightly greater. These figures are full power, distance of 5ft I think:

Single eVOLV in jumbrella: ISO 250 / 1/200th / f/11

Speedlight Nikon SB800 in jumbrella: ISO 250 / 1/200th / f/8
difference: 1 stop

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by jlafferty.

Jul 09, 2018 15:16 |  #7

To my point about GN funny business, there's no way a single AD200 gets f/14, ISO100 from 10'. A Streaklight in a medium Chimera gets f/6.3, and in my tests the eVOLV is about 2/3rds a stop under the Streaklight in output power.

That said, my advice to the OP is to get a single eVOLV with the opportunity to get the twin head adapter and add a second eVOLV later. Start small and move up as needed. Provided your camera is nearly anything post 2013, you shouldn't have anything to worry about shooting ISO400-1000, so a single 200ws source could be plenty.

Wilt wrote in post #18659230 (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,534 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 15:21 |  #8

I use AD200s and often will pull out the dual head. It is very bright in this configuration.

http://flashhavoc.com …n-head-bracket-announced/ (external link)

I don't have one of these, but plan on getting one eventually. I feel the price is a bit steep however considering the dual head is not that far off in price.

https://www.amazon.com …t-Speedlite/dp/B07D8V6Q4​2 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,005 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 09, 2018 17:58 |  #9

jlafferty wrote in post #18659340 (external link)
To my point about GN funny business, there's no way a single AD200 gets f/14, ISO100 from 10'. A Streaklight in a medium Chimera gets f/6.3, and in my tests the eVOLV is about 2/3rds a stop under the Streaklight in output power.

That said, my advice to the OP is to get a single eVOLV with the opportunity to get the twin head adapter and add a second eVOLV later. Start small and move up as needed. Provided your camera is nearly anything post 2013, you shouldn't have anything to worry about shooting ISO400-1000, so a single 200ws source could be plenty.

Increasing ISO does not address the OP's issue of balancing daylight and flash power.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jlafferty
226 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jul 09, 2018 18:08 |  #10

I guess it depends - it obviously impacts both strobe and ambient. Question is whether a single 200 from a given distance/aperture is what they want.

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18659439 (external link)
Increasing ISO does not address the OP's issue of balancing daylight and flash power.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jul 09, 2018 18:18 |  #11

You don't need a lot of power to shoot at the blue hour. Good exposures can be made with simple speedlites. The issue becomes how many lights you want to use key, background separation, fill? Look at images similar to what you want to create and try to reverse engineer the lighting setup.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,859 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited 4 months ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Jul 09, 2018 18:31 |  #12

jlafferty wrote in post #18659340 (external link)

I didn't want to unnecessarily confuse the OP about real output vs. manufacturer claims. I was one of several folks who, in combination with several other members, published a lot on that very topic on POTN about 15 years ago!

The specs for the Streaklight do claim GN = 182. So normal reflector would provide f/18 at 10'. Factor in the minimum (optimistic) of -1EV loss of intensity due to softbox and you have f/13; -2EV (more realistic) would yield f/9.5. Given the usual +1EV inflated GN value (manufacturer claims vs. flashmetered results) we are down to f/6.7 guestimated output with ISO 100 at 10'. The OP then has to consider efficiency of HIS light modifiers and the actual light-to-subject distances suitable for his shooting.

The CLAIMED output of the A600 is about 1.6EV brighter.

Generally speaking, one needs over 1000 watt-seconds from a pack to 'overpower the sun'...anything less barely gets by unless the source is really close to the subject.

Odd, the Godox web site is down! http://www.godox.com/ (external link) "This Account has been suspended."
Makes the appeal of buying Adorama branded 'same model' sound like a more secure expenditure of one's money!
Anyone know anything about this web site suspension?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,534 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 4 months ago by TeamSpeed.

Jul 09, 2018 19:19 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #13

Somebody missed renewing the domain methinks, or didn't pay their site provider, I am sure it will be back up soon enough.

I vaguely remember this happening in the past but it might have been some other site.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
917 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Jul 09, 2018 19:54 |  #14

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18659493 (external link)
Somebody missed renewing the domain methinks, or didn't pay their site provider, I am sure it will be back up soon enough.

I vaguely remember this happening in the past but it might have been some other site.

Microsoft’s Hotmail.com. Rescued by a civilian a few years back.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,087 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 4 months ago by bobbyz.

Jul 09, 2018 23:12 |  #15

Get the AD400 for a minimum. I have both AD200 and AD600 and use AD600 a lot more. AD200 is nice, weight wise but that's it. LCD is pain to read outside. I know I don't need to read it except when I was using the wrong trigger Nikon on my canon camera and had to look at that tiny LCD outside in the sun. AD600 is much much better in that regard. 2nd extension head but now AD200 has it. Third less need for snadbags as I can put my AD600 down below on my light stand. 4th, two AD200 in that dual head is more pain IMHO.

Power wise, if I am shooting in the sun, I need two AD600s with the dual head. I currently don't have it.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links

962 views & 3 likes for this thread
Which strobe would you use in my situation.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.