Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 09:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dimensions of Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO Bulb?

GESWhoPhoto
80 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 10, 2018 09:54 |  #1

Hey all!

Anybody own the Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO and able to get some measurements of the bulb?

I will do the calculations myself, but wondering if I can use gels from a swatchbook to wrap around the bulb and mostly color the light.

I know it won't work on the front of the bulb without buying a sheet and cutting out a cross-shape to wrap around the entire thing, or buying the $50 kit on eBay/Amazon, but wondering if I can get away with the swatchbook sheets.

Thanks in advance for your time and help! :-D :love:

V/r, Garrett
Current:
D850 | D750 | MB-D16 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 E FL ED VR | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 E VR | Nikon 105 f/2.8 G VR Macro | Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | 5x Godox V860II-N | 1x Flashpoint XPLOR 600 PRO |

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,477 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 10, 2018 09:57 |  #2

Flash tubes give off heat, and gels will melt.

Not saying it will happen, but it could, especially if you plan to cover the open end of the bulb.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,477 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 10, 2018 09:59 |  #3

Will you tell us your goals with these gels?

Probably get a more specific answer that way.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

GESWhoPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 10, 2018 10:01 |  #4

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18659848 (external link)
Flash tubes give off heat, and gels will melt.

Not saying it will happen, but it could, especially if you plan to cover the open end of the bulb.

I watched some videos on YouTube about a guy that gels his AD600 PRO (equivalent Godox-branded model), and he makes sure not to cover up the "exhaust ports" at the base of the bulb, where the heat escapes. He uses silicone cooking bands as a rubber-band around the gel to keep it wrapped around the bulb. He said to be wary of the power you're using and don't heat it up too much, but that he's never had an issue like that.

You're absolutely not wrong, though. I plan to use the XPLOR 600 PRO mostly for portraits where recycle time will be moderately->very lengthy, as to not heat it up too much. :-)

V/r, Garrett
Current:
D850 | D750 | MB-D16 | Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 E FL ED VR | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 E VR | Nikon 105 f/2.8 G VR Macro | Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 Fisheye | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 | 5x Godox V860II-N | 1x Flashpoint XPLOR 600 PRO |

GESWhoPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 10, 2018 10:04 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

Goal with this post is to determine if a Rosco swatchbook will cover me for color correction for 1 Flashpoint XPLOR 600 PRO strobe, but wanted the exact dimensions so I could take into consideration the hole punched into the corner of the gel, and do the calculations to make sure I have enough material to wrap around the bulb.

Basically, would need the bulb diameter and height.

V/r, Garrett
Current:

GESWhoPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 10, 2018 10:05 |  #6

Here's that YouTube vid btw!

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-wjuvHurztA (external link)

V/r, Garrett
Current:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,477 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 13 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 10, 2018 10:10 |  #7

Goal meaning what are you shooting and where?

To me, color correction means balancing ambient with flash. That, in the grand scheme, is a very specific task and would not suggest buying a full color sample book and rigging it around a flash tube. A couple of sheets would likely be a better option.

If you are testing for accent lighting via gels, that's a different story. And the 600Pro has a one second recycle at full power, you could muck some stuff up real quick.

GESWhoPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
80 posts
Joined Sep 2017

Jul 10, 2018 11:26 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #8

So what I have in mind currently are a few photoshoots I have coming up that are an engagement shoot at sunset at a family's waterfront home (CTOs to match ambient), an engagement shoot at sunrise at a local beach (CTOs or CTBs, depending on what I want to do with the image when I get there), and a night couples' portraiture shoot downtown (probably good with ungelled strobe, or maybe a weak CTB or a red effects filter).

Thoughts? :-D

V/r, Garrett
Current:

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,477 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 12 days ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 10, 2018 12:48 |  #9

I don't shoot a ton of portraits, mostly friends and family. When I do I feel like I need to have the ability to fire off a rapid succession of shots. For what ever reason, when the subject gets in the groove, I push and push while things are right. Stopping to let the bulb cool, or slowing down is out of the question ... for me.

Golden hour shooting is fast paced, the sun fades fast, I probably wouldn't try to change gels mid shoot.

So all that colors my opinion.

"Colors", get it? lol

Anyway, I've never shot blue at sunset. If I want to bump up the sunset a little, bare flash will do that for me.

If there is no color to the sky you can shoot green and push everything else red/magenta.

Here is my gel solution with my 360, plenty of space to breathe.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1431714

I'm sure you could rig it up either to the strobe, or the inside of the softbox mount. As I said in the post, it sounds more difficult than it is.

If you can't find one, I might be able to dig up the cone template generator I used

1/4 or 1/8 sheets cut to size is my go-to option

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,477 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jul 11, 2018 07:59 |  #10

fwiw, i'm pretty cautious with the potential of messing up my gear, maybe too cautious.

sponsored links

225 views & 1 like for this thread
Dimensions of Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO Bulb?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.