Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Jul 2018 (Tuesday) 19:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photo Mechanic

wysiwyg59
284 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 10, 2018 19:36 |  #1

Last night we went to an event with the MN Twins. They has a Photographers Night, we got to tour the stadium go down near the field during pre-game practice and talk to the MN Twins photographers. The asked them what they use and both of them said they use Photo Mechanic prior to entering them into LR/PS. I have not heard of this until last night. Do any of you use this program.

Thanks

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

sponsored links
Peano
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 10, 2018 19:50 |  #2

wysiwyg59 wrote in post #18660183 (external link)
Last night we went to an event with the MN Twins. They has a Photographers Night, we got to tour the stadium go down near the field during pre-game practice and talk to the MN Twins photographers. The asked them what they use and both of them said they use Photo Mechanic prior to entering them into LR/PS. I have not heard of this until last night. Do any of you use this program.

Thanks

I don't (and wouldn't) use it, but I've read several reviews. Photo Mechanic is designed for people who need to organize and tag and label large numbers of images. Like photojournalists. If you're not in that category, don't bother.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 10, 2018 21:38 |  #3

Used Photo Mechanic and still have a license for it. It is fast at importing images cards to folders you specify and showing you the previews. The import into the folders can also be used to change file names and add metadata. Very similar to the Library functions of Lightroom or Bridge. The product has been popular with AP photographers as it lets them quickly import, cull, assign meta data, and send in the images to their Editors.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by Alveric.

Jul 10, 2018 21:57 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I use it. Got my licence for it when I stopped using Lightroom. Best tool for metadata.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,850 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by digital paradise.

Jul 11, 2018 10:28 |  #5

I think mostly working pros use it for pre culling but I could be wrong. It is about $150. If I was a pro I would check to see what it is about.

Currently I use DPP, Quick Check, Full Screen mode to prior to using PS/LR. I just hit X to tag unusable files as I scroll through and at the select rejected files only then move to trash.

This statement is pretty old (about 10 years ago) and I'm not sure how PM looks compared to it but I really like how DPP looks. Many years ago people complained that they could not get finished processed files in PS to look as good as when in DPP's Quick Check mode. I was one and searched for the answer for months.

DPP's downsizing algorithm for 'fit to screen' display is very good - contrasty which creates the illusion of sharpness - while other applications sacrificed quality for speed. And so the stock reply to all those complaints became, "Compare at 100%."

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

daisan
104 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2018

Jul 11, 2018 11:00 |  #6

I use it and have done for years - I use it for downloading my cards, and for making my initial selection from the images. It does a lot more but that's all I use it for.

It's the fastest way I've found to look through RAW images, there's no lag flicking from photo to photo as it uses the jpg embedded in the RAW files. I have 3-4K images to look through from each wedding and every second counts with that volume of images. It's probably overkill if you don't have a large volume of photos to work with.

Duncan Kerridge
Norfolk Wedding Photographer (external link)
My Facebook (external link)
500px (external link)

frozenframe
Goldmember
1,692 posts
Gallery: 189 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by frozenframe.

Jul 11, 2018 11:01 |  #7

I don't have, but have ran the trial before just to see what's it's about. It is amazingly fast, that's why the pro sports, journalist, wedding photographers use it. I've heard Jeff Cable talk about it. He uses it, especially when he shoots the olympics.

Ron
My Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,850 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 11, 2018 11:27 |  #8

frozenframe wrote in post #18660554 (external link)
I don't have, but have ran the trial before just to see what's it's about. It is amazingly fast, that's why the pro sports, journalist, wedding photographers use it. I've heard Jeff Cable talk about it. He uses it, especially when he shoots the olympics.

Yeah it has the speed working pros need. That is what read about it.

Image Editing OK

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,126 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 12, 2018 01:54 |  #9

I use it. I think it is great for what it does.

It is much quicker for downloading. Easy to have it create a backup at the same time. You can start selecting images right away before it finishes. Also has very powerful tagging tools.

Do you need it? If you need speed, absolutely. If you download hundreds of images at one go (sports photography or other photojournalism, wedding or event photography) than it is probably worth it. Or if you shoot for stock.

If your current methods are not being slowed down by your software, it probably isn't worth it. It's mostly for high volume.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

docg
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Gallery: 279 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 12, 2018 07:53 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #10

I've only used DPP to preview and delete unusable files before loading into PS. Always did it one file at a time from the main screen. Slowww!!

After reading your post about using Quick Check and tagging the rejected files, wow, I can see this is going to be a real time saver. But, I'm having a problem selecting the rejected files. The keyboard shortcut to select all rejected files according to the help files is ctrl + alt + x. Doesn't happen for me. I've tried this on versions 3.14.0 and 4.5.20.0.

Am I missing something here? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doc
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,850 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 12, 2018 10:16 |  #11

docg wrote in post #18661159 (external link)
I've only used DPP to preview and delete unusable files before loading into PS. Always did it one file at a time from the main screen. Slowww!!

After reading your post about using Quick Check and tagging the rejected files, wow, I can see this is going to be a real time saver. But, I'm having a problem selecting the rejected files. The keyboard shortcut to select all rejected files according to the help files is ctrl + alt + x. Doesn't happen for me. I've tried this on versions 3.14.0 and 4.5.20.0.

Am I missing something here? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DPP - Select All - Quick Check - Full Screen. I whip through the files using the arrow and as said I just hit X to tag unusable files. It is fast. Make sure the latest version.

Image Editing OK

docg
Goldmember
1,057 posts
Gallery: 279 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 12, 2018 10:58 |  #12

digital paradise wrote in post #18661229 (external link)
DPP - Select All - Quick Check - Full Screen. I whip through the files using the arrow and as said I just hit X to tag unusable files. It is fast. Make sure the latest version.

Thanks for the reply DP. I had every thing figured out except how to select all of the rejected images. In the help section under Shortcut keys, mine says ctrl + alt + x to select all rejected images. This didn't work for me.

I googled this and found that under the edit pull down menu you can select rating and a side window appears that has the select all rejected images option available and it works fine and also it lists the keyboard shortcut as ctrl + shift + x , NOT as the help section listed as ctrl + alt + x. Everything is working as it should.

This is going to make my life easier and save me loads of time. I appreciate you mentioning it. :-)

Doc
flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,850 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 12, 2018 11:22 |  #13

I do someting similar in LR. When I occasionally send a file to PS and it comes back as s TiFF I flag the CR2 immediately so I don't forget. I hide under the new TIFF which is optional. At the end of editing I select all flagged files and then Invert. The unwanted CRS are not exported, only the TIFFs. Thought I'd throw that in because that save me time.

Image Editing OK

garbidz
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2005

Jul 14, 2018 05:26 |  #14

Only yesterday I learned that PhotoMechanic blends with the MacOS High Sierra Finder in such a way that you can browse your files with Finder, select one, right-click, on the menu go to services, there to 'Browse With PhotoMechanic' which opens the folder as a 'Contact sheet'. You have to have the PM 5.0.
It is a very fast way of looking what is where. Also, you can command-E on any photo and it is opened in Lightroom.
An interesting SW I am only now trying to adapt to. See the videos on YouTube, there is a serious potential there. Download the test version for free and see for yourself. Unless, of course, your workflow already is good for you and you have better things to do.

bag

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,126 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 15, 2018 00:07 |  #15

garbidz wrote in post #18662404 (external link)
Only yesterday I learned that PhotoMechanic blends with the MacOS High Sierra Finder in such a way that you can browse your files with Finder, select one, right-click, on the menu go to services, there to 'Browse With PhotoMechanic' which opens the folder as a 'Contact sheet'. You have to have the PM 5.0.
It is a very fast way of looking what is where. Also, you can command-E on any photo and it is opened in Lightroom.
An interesting SW I am only now trying to adapt to. See the videos on YouTube, there is a serious potential there. Download the test version for free and see for yourself. Unless, of course, your workflow already is good for you and you have better things to do.

Or, if you want a superior workflow solution, get PM and set it up so Command-E opens the file in Capture One and set up a recipe in Capture One to open a processed file in Photoshop ;).

But Garbidz is absolutely right to say: "Unless, of course, your workflow already is good for you and you have better things to do."

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,316 views & 1 like for this thread
Photo Mechanic
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.