Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 11 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 00:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Mirrorless & Camera Shy Subjects

aezoss
397 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 11, 2018 00:44 |  #1

Have a family reunion coming up and we're all camera shy. I've read musings suggesting subjects are more comfortable in front of physically smaller cameras.

Currently using 5D3 + 24-70 & 7D2 + 100-400.

For individual portraits at this event I'd probably use the 5D3 + 100-400 at 135-200 f/5.6 which does a pretty good job. My concern is it will freak out my skittish family members.

Entertaining the idea of adding Fuji XT-2 + 23 1.4 + 56 1.2 (+ 90 2.0 maybe) to the stable specifically to put subjects at ease. The Fuji aesthetic is quite a bit different from the imposing design of a DSLR. Could be a conversation starter as well, who knows.

5D3/XT-2 size comparison
https://camerasize.com​/compare/#312,679 (external link)

My better half suggests camera shy people will wilt in front of a lens no matter how small it is and she could put that $4k to better use in a shoe store.

Input appreciated.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,166 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mike_d.

Jul 11, 2018 00:50 |  #2

The tilting screen and truly silent shutter on the Fuji makes it much easier to get candid shots, especially with a small prime lens where you're not messing with a zoom ring.

The 100-400 will look like an anti-aircraft weapon to non-photographers.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,018 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 11, 2018 09:24 |  #3

Tilt screen really helps.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited 2 months ago by Hogloff.

Jul 11, 2018 11:14 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #4
bannedBack in 5 months

I suggest meet with the people, have them get used to you and your gear. Take a few pics and show them the images.

Worst thing to do is sit on the outside from a distance and try voyeuristic photography...your subjects will be aware and suspicious.

When taking images of people in foreign lands I always engage with the people, ask their permission and involve them in the process. You can still get candid photos, but they will be of relaxed subjects in their natural environments...you'll just become one in the crowd rather than the guy with a camera.

aezoss
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 11, 2018 12:39 |  #5

Thanks for the comments. Candids work best for my family. Posing them is a challenge at the best of times. I do interact, no surprises. I doubt I'll be able to put everyone at ease; the best I can do is avoid adding tension.

Hogloff wrote in post #18660561 (external link)
I suggest meet with the people, have them get used to you and your gear. Take a few pics and show them the images.
Worst thing to do is sit on the outside from a distance and try voyeuristic photography...your subjects will be aware and suspicious.

Unfortunately we only have two days. It's family, I don't mind imposing since this group probably won't get together again, well, ever. There's a very real possibility some of these people will never be in the same room again. May have to forgo pleasantries in favour of memories.

We'll see. A younger cousin is into photography, we may be able to team up and encourage the cranky old folks to play along.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,998 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 12, 2018 00:33 |  #6

Avoid EVF/OVF, hold out your camera like a total amateur.

Pancake lens

Avoid using a hood

People don't tend to care when I shoot this way, and it's become my main shooting style. It's familiar to a cell phone, and people are comfortable with cell phone pics. I hardly ever use an EVF because I notice the differences.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Lumens
403 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jul 12, 2018 07:46 |  #7

Charlie wrote in post #18661034 (external link)
Avoid EVF/OVF, hold out your camera like a total amateur.

Pancake lens

Avoid using a hood

People don't tend to care when I shoot this way, and it's become my main shooting style. It's familiar to a cell phone, and people are comfortable with cell phone pics. I hardly ever use an EVF because I notice the differences.

Yes, I consider my XT-2 a "Transformer". With 27 mm Pancake it is an amateur with a point & shoot - I can take it anywhere and nobody seems to care. Add the Battery Grip and 100-400 and now it's a serious wildlife shooter. People comment about my BIG Professional camera. LOL

FUJI XT1 -> XF 10-24, XF 18-55, XF 55-200, XF 27mm pancake
6D -> Canon 28mm f2.8 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro IS
Canon 24-105 f4L, Canon EF 70-200 f4L IS USM, Canon EF 100-400L IS
7D -> Canon EF-S 15-85

aezoss
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 13, 2018 02:46 |  #8

Better half spoke to my Mom tonight. Mom's advice - just do it and don't worry about it. Objections are nothing couple of drinks won't fix.

I'll eval the XT-2 when we get back. I think it would be good to have as a travel camera.

I spoke with reps at two local camera stores and they both steered me away from building a second system. Curious for sales people but I appreciate that they're looking out for my wallet.

Thanks for the feedback.

Osa713
Goldmember
1,219 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Osa713.

Jul 25, 2018 22:27 |  #9

Hogloff wrote in post #18660561 (external link)

When taking images of people in foreign lands I always engage with the people, ask their permission and involve them in the process. You can still get candid photos, but they will be of relaxed subjects in their natural environments...you'll just become one in the crowd rather than the guy with a camera.

This is the best advice.

Travel light, take your 5D3 with the 24-70 and enjoy the moment.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

aezoss
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 26, 2018 03:16 |  #10

The get together happened this past weekend. We spent a few days visiting friends and (other) family prior to the reunion.

In a weird twist I ended up spending mornings on the beach chasing herons. Found myself focal length limited more than anything. Warbird formations practicing for an airshow. Eagles in a neighbor's tree. Fancy boats far from shore. All out of reach for the gear I packed.

Should have taken the 100-400 & 1.4x.

No complaints though. Having a beach, warm wind and countless shorebirds to yourself at 06:00 makes everything alright.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 26, 2018 21:10 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

aezoss wrote in post #18660307 (external link)
Have a family reunion coming up and we're all camera shy. I've read musings suggesting subjects are more comfortable in front of physically smaller cameras.

Currently using 5D3 + 24-70 & 7D2 + 100-400.

For individual portraits at this event I'd probably use the 5D3 + 100-400 at 135-200 f/5.6 which does a pretty good job. My concern is it will freak out my skittish family members.

Entertaining the idea of adding Fuji XT-2 + 23 1.4 + 56 1.2 (+ 90 2.0 maybe) to the stable specifically to put subjects at ease. The Fuji aesthetic is quite a bit different from the imposing design of a DSLR. Could be a conversation starter as well, who knows.

5D3/XT-2 size comparison
https://camerasize.com​/compare/#312,679 (external link)

My better half suggests camera shy people will wilt in front of a lens no matter how small it is and she could put that $4k to better use in a shoe store.

Input appreciated.

Sounds like a serious reach just to justify the purchase of a mirrorless camera. Family members will freak out from the loud shutter click and you need silent shooting right? A camera is a camera and people know they are having their photo taken. the size of the camera shouldn't matter lol.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,166 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 26, 2018 22:04 |  #12

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18671547 (external link)
Sounds like a serious reach just to justify the purchase of a mirrorless camera. Family members will freak out from the loud shutter click and you need silent shooting right? A camera is a camera and people know they are having their photo taken. the size of the camera shouldn't matter lol.

It shouldn't, but it does. See post #6.

aezoss
THREAD ­ STARTER
397 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jul 27, 2018 14:29 |  #13

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18671547 (external link)

mike_d wrote in post #18671565 (external link)
It shouldn't, but it does. See post #6.

Yep. No one comments on a G7X or RX100. 5D3, every time. Size matters. In a quiet room shutter noise is disruptive. Flash going off can be annoying. Put up an umbrella or softbox in a public place and see what kind of reaction you get. The more equipment you have the more conspicuous you are and the more self conscious certain people become, at least in my neck of the woods.

The camera that would solve most of the problems I'm running into, the RX10 IV, requires justification. Don't like it. Don't want it. But it would have nailed those heron shots and is approx half the size of the 5D3 + 24-70 when shooting wide. It looks sufficiently touristy and probably wouldn't upset subjects as much if I followed Charlie's 'act like an amateur' advice.

Maybe I'll just get a Hello Kitty Instax. Should be a good for some amusing interactions.

sponsored links

876 views & 9 likes for this thread
Mirrorless & Camera Shy Subjects
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.