Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 12 Jul 2018 (Thursday) 05:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A big bag to store my thingies

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Robinson Crusoe.

Jul 12, 2018 05:56 |  #1

I was using the bags in my signature to store my photography equipment, small ones of course, like flashes, cameras, lenses etc. As my equipment keeps growing in years, I decided to add a new bag to use as a main storage bag.

So what's in my mind is:

- As I don't have a space for something like a chest in the house the bag can't be giant. Dimensions can't be bigger than 50x30x30 cm. It's like 20x12x12 inch I guess. I'll still keep storing the equipment to all my bags, so don't think like the new bag I'll buy will hold everything.
- I'm a little confused at this point. I want a backpack. Maybe a backpack with wheels? But I'm not sure whether I buy a backpack for both storage and travel or I buy a bag with a big storage capacity and light backpack for travel uses. Any experiences? What do you suggest. When I go out I generally take the Microsoft surface, a camera, 1-2 lenses, a small flash at most. I plan to buy a 1Dx, so the camera will get a little bigger. I also don't love to carry extra bag so I need extra space for water, wallet, phone, keys etc.

I'm open to different suggestions.

Edit: I don't plan to buy a lot more equipment, only a couple of cameras will be a added to my collection.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

SkedAddled
Goldmember
1,754 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2008

Jul 12, 2018 18:03 |  #2

I don't own a lot of gear and I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine you'll want a (small)
collection of bags. With my own use, I have a couple of small bags to take a body
with lens mounted and batteries, filters, etc. on the day-trips.
Another bag accommodates camera/lens with another lens or three with batteries & filters.

My small collection of vintage lenses resides in a Canon backpack.

A clone of Crumpler's 2-Million or 3-Million Dollar Home is what holds
my biggest collection of stuff, and it holds much of it: body w/lens, 4 to 5 other small lenses,
filters, batteries, charger, strap, memory, etc. This is what I take when I travel or just go
out of town for what is not a specific event. It's a compact bag but will hold a lot
if configured well, it's easy to pack and move around, and it's not huge.

True backpacks are a different story; I don't own or use one.

CraigAF Σ 10-20|AF Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF Tamron SP 28-80|MF Tamron SP 60-300|MF Soligor 75-260|MF Soligor 400|MF Soligor C/D 500|MF Zuiko 50 f/1.8|More Manual-Focus glass
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,220 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 16, 2018 12:33 |  #3

Today I went out to check some. In my country the prices are crazy high.

First I checked the Lowepro 450 aw pro runner. It's huge, very nice with the wheels and everything. But as a backpack especially when it's loaded will be very hard to carry. Better consider it like a fancy luggage. It'll be also very useful to store my equipment and carry them during flights etc. But as a backpack, again, no chance. They gave me a 400$ price, more than double what it costs in US, so I didn't have to think much.

In another shop I asked for the Lowepro backpack thay can be opened from the side. The shopkeeper told me that he only has one second hand. I checked, it was a Lowepro SlingShot 350 AW. Normally I'm not into second hand too much but the bag's condition was pretty good and with the 30$ price I was totally sold out :D Anyway, this will do the job for now.

When I started buying camera equipment I was pretty sure that Canon Zoom Pack would be my first and last bag but I went for 6 already and made up my mind for the 7th lol.

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,811 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 2 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jul 16, 2018 13:31 |  #4

Early on I always kind of giggled at all the bag talk around here, but most of my work was in studio. If I was shooting outside, I traveled pretty light. Once I started shooting out and about more I saw how meaningful a good bag situation can be.

I own three of these: https://www.natcam.com …3rrw6pEAQYAyABE​gIT0PD_BwE (external link)

I rarely fill all those up, often one is empty and I have some cameras and lenses in a:

https://www.pelicancas​esforless.com …3teQTSEAQYAyABE​gL-VPD_BwE (external link)

I store and carry light and camera support in:

https://www.walmart.co​m …l12=2476189&wl1​3=&veh=sem (external link)

Sometimes I will throw my soft bags in the contico thing. And that yellow case I bought at a hardware/lumber store (lLowes Hardware), its brand name is Stack On. All my batteries, chargers, clips, tape and ransom crap I rarely use but can't be without lives in there.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

396 views & 0 likes for this thread
A big bag to store my thingies
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.