Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 12 Jul 2018 (Thursday) 09:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Check out this guy's aviation photos...

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 12, 2018 09:46 |  #1

I was surfing flickr when I came across this photographer from Sweden. Some very impressive aviation photos.

Perhaps he's a POTN member? Posted for your enjoyment.

https://www.flickr.com …s/7215768185887​0054/page1 (external link)

and more...

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/42057176@N06/ (external link)

My flickr albums (external link)
My Best Aviation Photos (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,785 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jul 12, 2018 09:54 |  #2

Wonderful images. Followed. Thanks!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,064 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2018 09:55 |  #3

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18661215 (external link)
I was surfing flickr when I came across this photographer from Sweden. Some very impressive aviation photos.

That is impressive work. . Extremely impressive.

When I see a body of work like that, it makes me realize that the only way to really photograph aviation successfully is to do it air-to-air. . I just don't see how ground-based efforts could ever produce results that are as dramatic or aesthetically pleasing.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

PhotosGuy
75,344 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Post edited 4 days ago by PhotosGuy.

Jul 12, 2018 12:53 |  #4

Excellent work!

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18661215 (external link)
Perhaps he's a POTN member?

I don't know. A search didn't bring him up, but Jay does a pretty nice job of work, too: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/member.p​hp?m=102839

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 12, 2018 13:46 |  #5

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18661218 (external link)

When I see a body of work like that, it makes me realize that the only way to really photograph aviation successfully is to do it air-to-air. . I just don't see how ground-based efforts could ever produce results that are as dramatic or aesthetically pleasing.

I agree. To me air-to-air photography is the ultimate in aviation photography.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 12, 2018 13:55 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18661293 (external link)
Excellent work!
I don't know. A search didn't bring him up, but Jay does a pretty nice job of work, too: https://www.flickr.com …42057176@N06/23​898637448/ (external link)

Do you mean Jay...FlyingPhotog ?

Yes, he does excellent work. I enjoyed reading his posts, and his advice was helpful. For some reason he decided to leave POTN.
Btw, the link you provided does not lead to Jay, if that's what you wanted.

PhotosGuy
75,344 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jul 12, 2018 14:10 |  #7

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18661327 (external link)

Yes, he does excellent work. I enjoyed reading his posts, and his advice was helpful. For some reason he decided to leave POTN.

Crap! Yes, Jay, FlyingPhotog, thanks for the heads up! Every once in a while, my mouse button skips a click. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,064 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 12, 2018 19:44 |  #8

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18661327 (external link)

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18661332 (external link)
Crap! Yes, Jay, FlyingPhotog, thanks for the heads up! Every once in a while, my mouse button skips a click. ; )

Jay is an awesome guy, and his imagery is equally awesome!

I got to missing Jay here on the forum, so about a year ago I actually called him to see what was going on with him. . We ended up talking about our photography experiences, POTN, and life in general for over an hour. . Although his work is world class, he is an incredibly friendly and humble guy and really loves to discuss aerial photography.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 12, 2018 20:57 |  #9

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18661513 (external link)
Jay is an awesome guy, and his imagery is equally awesome!

I got to missing Jay here on the forum, so about a year ago I actually called him to see what was going on with him. . We ended up talking about our photography experiences, POTN, and life in general for over an hour. . Although his work is world class, he is an incredibly friendly and humble guy and really loves to discuss aerial photography.

I'm curious, did Jay say why he left POTN?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,064 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 4 days ago by Tom Reichner.

Jul 12, 2018 21:34 |  #10

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #18661543 (external link)
I'm curious, did Jay say why he left POTN?

I don't know how much we're supposed to say about why people leave the forum. . I know there is a rule that says that we cannot discuss why we leave the forum, but I don't know if that rule, in spirit, also extends to discussing why someone else left.

What I can say is that Jay wasn't crazy about so much emphasis on gear. . I feel the same way.

When people constantly post about bodies and lenses and settings and so forth, it takes so much of the art and creativity and fun out of photography. . Photography shouldn't be about cameras and lenses and shutter speeds and apertures. . Photography should be about photographs and the things that we photograph, not the tools that we use to take the photographs. . This is, after all, a photography forum, not a camera forum.

At least those are my feelings ...... and I think that Jay and I are kindred spirits in this regard. . Problem is, I often get sucked into discussions about the things that don't matter, like gear and settings and ISO and all that, while Jay was strong enough to avoid such nonsense.

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 12, 2018 23:24 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #11

Ok, thanks.

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited 4 days ago by Littlefield.

Jul 13, 2018 02:43 |  #12

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18661218 (external link)

Check out Glenn Watson who posts in FM's Mustang thread.
Don

http://www.machpointon​eaviation.com (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
THREAD ­ STARTER
I'm too sexy for my lens
3,697 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jul 13, 2018 09:36 |  #13

Littlefield wrote in post #18661680 (external link)
Don

Yeah, these are totally cool!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,064 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 13, 2018 10:55 |  #14

Littlefield wrote in post #18661680 (external link)
Don

Thanks for sharing that link - it is certainly worth a look.

The photos there look really cool, but somehow I have a hard time "believing" them. . To me, most of them look like they have been photoshopped or something, like perhaps they are composites, instead of real single-exposure photographs. . Maybe they are all real, I don't know enough about airplanes to know if they are or not. . But the way most of them look makes me doubt.

I guess it's the depth of field that mostly seems unrealistic to me. . The way the planes are all in sharp focus makes it look like the images were focus-stacked .... but then of course you can't do focus stacking with things that are in such rapid motion. . And so that's what makes me think that maybe they are not "real life" captures.

Maybe someone here who knows about airplanes and stuff like that can check out the images and provide some insight about the creation of the, and whether they are "real life" captures or not.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
42,758 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 13, 2018 10:58 |  #15

Wicked sweet perspective he gets. Air to air is the way to go if you can afford it.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

560 views & 14 likes for this thread
Check out this guy's aviation photos...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.