Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 13 Jul 2018 (Friday) 06:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Current 7D MII user - wanting full frame...?

griesmonkey
223 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 13, 2018 06:38 |  #1

My uses for the 7D MII have had a slight shift lately. I used to use it for a lot of indoor sports shooting for Volleyball. I have the Sigma 18-35 ART and 50-100 ART. Both professionally calibrated to this body. They are on point. I find myself being asked to do more senior photos, family shoots, and small weddings as of late and I feel left wanting that really good portrait bokeh from a 1.4 or similar on a full frame body. Don't get me wrong, what I'm getting are nice shots from it. But I want some wow factor.

Where do I go from here? If I sell off this set, I'll have about $2k to use towards something else but limited to additional funds I can spend. I'll seed need a 10-?mm for real estate shoots as well. Using the 10-18mm right now.

Super conflicted on the 6D MII. Is there another option? I'm not looking to go to Nikon, as I don't like their menu system. Is mirrorless an option? This is a hobby for me so I can't justify 2 bodies. 5D series is out of my budget and I'm not interested in a 5D III.

Thought was the 6D MII and an 85mm 1.4 IS? Peak budget

Lens considerations:
50mm 1.8
Tamron 24-70 G2

Fuji XT-2 worth it with the lens lineup of 1.4 and 1.2 primes? I know its not a full frame.

I do also love landscape photography.

Canon 7D Mark II - Sigma 50-150 OS - Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 - Canon 10-18mm

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,597 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 13, 2018 06:55 |  #2

I don't think making this change is going to get you any more 'wow factor'.

If you're not overly thrilled with your pictures new hardware is not the answer. I think the cure for your perceived problem lies in the improvement of your skills and technique.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 13, 2018 07:31 |  #3

Spend $350-$400 on a 5Dc. See what full frame does for you. Then make a decision.

Once I became fully acclimated to my 80D, I sold my 6D. The thought process was: there isn't a ton of difference between ff/crop. A stop or so of high-ISO ability, and large print ability. I regularly made 8"x10" prints from my 60D at 6400. The 80D can do the same at 12,800. Because of changes in focal length/effective aperture/framing it is almost impossible to quantify the BG blur difference between the two formats. Realistically, if you don't regularly shoot WIDE-OPEN fast primes, or IS0 > 6400, or print larger than 11x17, there is no noticeable difference between apsc and full frame.

That said, I spent 4-5 months without a full frame camera before GAS compelled me to get another 6D. The heck with reality and practicality. If you want a full frame body, buy one. Simple as that.

If I could afford it, I'd buy a 1DXII. Just 'cuz I wanna.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,665 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

Jul 13, 2018 07:48 |  #4

griesmonkey wrote in post #18661737 (external link)
My uses for the 7D MII have had a slight shift lately. I used to use it for a lot of indoor sports shooting for Volleyball. I have the Sigma 18-35 ART and 50-100 ART. Both professionally calibrated to this body. They are on point. I find myself being asked to do more senior photos, family shoots, and small weddings as of late and I feel left wanting that really good portrait bokeh from a 1.4 or similar on a full frame body. Don't get me wrong, what I'm getting are nice shots from it. But I want some wow factor.

Where do I go from here? If I sell off this set, I'll have about $2k to use towards something else but limited to additional funds I can spend. I'll seed need a 10-?mm for real estate shoots as well. Using the 10-18mm right now.

Super conflicted on the 6D MII. Is there another option? I'm not looking to go to Nikon, as I don't like their menu system. Is mirrorless an option? This is a hobby for me so I can't justify 2 bodies. 5D series is out of my budget and I'm not interested in a 5D III.

Thought was the 6D MII and an 85mm 1.4 IS? Peak budget

Lens considerations:
50mm 1.8
Tamron 24-70 G2

Fuji XT-2 worth it with the lens lineup of 1.4 and 1.2 primes? I know its not a full frame.

I do also love landscape photography.

I think you should start with a quality very fast prime. Try that with the 7D2 and see what you end up with. A very fast sharp prime on an APS-C delivers great results. Also make sure you have the correct lighting gear as well for portraiture. These 2 things, coupled with the 7D2, will deliver probably 80% of what you desire. If you still need to make a move, both the lens and lighting equipment are still very viable with the new body, you don't lose anything by doing this progression.

For what you are shooting, if you still want to go FF, the 6D is more than sufficient. I don't see where the 6D2 really gives you anything beyond what a 6D will. The 6D2 has more features and a better (albeit compact) AF system. There is a marginal improvement in IQ from comparisons all over the web, but the delta in funds here can buy a great lens instead which will do more for an image than a 6D to 6D2 move.

If you don't mind manual focusing for portraits, etc, then consider the Rokinon 85 1.2 SP lens. It has auto aperture so you don't need to worry about that, but it is still a manual focus lens, but delivers the goods in regard to IQ, blowing out the Canon 85L, and is cheaper than the Sigma 85 1.4 ART.

A fast lens makes a difference more than sensor size sometimes!

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-7Pp2Ztb/0/3447ff25/X2/IMG_9401-X2.jpg
IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Church-and-Family/The-Kids/i-FLGZrGp/0/4f39d880/X2/IMG_9433-X2.jpg

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

griesmonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 13, 2018 09:09 |  #5

The other thought was that these Sigma ART's have some focusing issues I'm not fond of. Maybe it is just me and I should be ok with what I have and spend more time on technique. Always attracted to the full framers pic sets than mine. idk...

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 13, 2018 09:20 |  #6

As I have both the 7DII and 5D3 I'll offer some thoughts.

1.. I've been wanting the sigma 50-100 ... so if you really want to sell it, I'm interested.
Have you tried doing a portrait with that lens, at 100mm, on f/1.8? because that should be producing some of the best bokeh around.

Part of the bokeh magic is learning how to position your subject in relation to the back ground... and learning the compression of using 200mm vs 50mm...

So I'll offer these sample of images, on both my 7DII and 5DIII -

I would think the headshot is arguably the best bokeh of the bunch - with the 7DII at 100mm f2.8... you should easily get this kind of result with what you have.

The fuji is a great kit, but not sure that is the kind of wow you want, maybe post some examples of what you are getting and what you are wanting?

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7477/15863603062_3f3eeb5cf9_o.jpg
Photo from ksbal's gallery.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

griesmonkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
223 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jul 13, 2018 09:26 |  #7

I'm going to upload some of my stuff on Flickr soon and give a few links. I'm sure I'm over reacting... or just over critical of my ability to someone else's when using FF to crop.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,665 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 13, 2018 10:16 |  #8

griesmonkey wrote in post #18661812 (external link)
The other thought was that these Sigma ART's have some focusing issues I'm not fond of. Maybe it is just me and I should be ok with what I have and spend more time on technique. Always attracted to the full framers pic sets than mine. idk...

I haven't heard of any Sigma ART issues recently and the 7D2 has AFMA to help combat this if you do have an issue.

The shots above are from an old Sigma 50 1.4 that I sent to Sigma for calibration. I have no desire for a 50 ART from Sigma, this lens does so well, and the shots are from an old 7D with that lens, so it shows you can quickly blow out the background on a cropper.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by ksbal.

Jul 13, 2018 16:16 as a reply to  @ griesmonkey's post |  #9

I'm going to be totally honest here, I thought I 'needed' a full frame, so after getting the 7D2 i got a 5D2 - and the AF about drove me crazy (only center is cross point - I use outer points a ton)
So I moved up to the 5D3 - and the SD card slot and slow buffer drive me crazy (you get use to the 7D2 and then other things... *sigh*)

So, If/When Canon offers the 7D3 with same specs + better sensor I may upgrade there. Or if the new full frame mirrorless has a global shutter (higher flash sync is what I want for the full frame!) but while I like and appreciate the 5D3 if I could only have one I'd stick with the 7D2 hands down.. for the types of shooting I do. And I do plenty of portraits as well as sports.

5D3 is ok if it only has the cf card in it for sports.. but I'd much rather have the 7D2.

One thing that is a huge difference is the different ways the lenses behave, it's like having two different lenses for one when switching bodies. (how close something is when you frame it)

I do see at least a one stop better in image quality on the 5D3, and it does behave better when you have to bring up under exposed shots vs the 7D2.

If you really want full frame, and are a center point shooter, I'd suggest a used 6D and play around with that. minor investment, and you can still sell it all and switch if you like.

But I'd be wary of anyone that says FF is all that and a bag of chips over a 7D2 - they are in some ways apples and oranges. I'm pretty happy having both.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,419 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 13, 2018 17:15 |  #10

One thing worth noting is that the 7Dn cameras are positioned by Canon as 'more aimed to more advanced' shooters than the 'more aimed at the entry market' 6Dn bodies...the 6Dn lacks PC connector for studio flash, and lacks the joystick on the back. For some folks the lack of joystick is overlooked, but for some it is a signficant lack that is difficult to adjust to. Your mileage may vary.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,026 posts
Gallery: 323 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Jul 13, 2018 18:30 |  #11

I went from shooting Canon APS-c to 5D3's and then after a few years slowly went the Fuji route & sold off all the Canon stuff. Don't miss the full frame thing at all but it might be something you'll have to experience for your self.
I shoot interiors/architecture​, weddings and portraits amongst other things, I've yet to run into a situation where I thought a FF camera would be the answer. Bokeh is a relative thing subject to distance.

First shot after I unwrapped my 56/1.2, a friend was kind enough to pose for me.

and some work

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from Two Hot Shoes's gallery.

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T3. 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 50-140/2.8.
Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom

Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,665 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 13, 2018 20:05 |  #12

I dug out the ol' Sigma 50 1.4 and tried it this evening. I still am surprised at how this 10 year old lens is still kicking it with a high pixel density body like the 7D2. It is old, focus is slow, but the best thing I did was send it to Sigma with calibration charts, etc, and it came back really sharp wide open at f1.4. I am very happy with it, and it is a $250 lens. This alone makes the 7D2 very viable for portraits, along with the 100L macro lens. Both do well on an APS-C.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,665 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 13, 2018 20:06 |  #13

Closeup on one of these shots... can see the peach fuzz on her cheeks :) Sure the details at 100% can be beat by modern lenses, but this is an old Sigma, long before they even thought of ART glass, wide open, and this was the competition to the Canon 50 1.4. This renders out of focus highlights smoother, and after having had like 5 of the Canon lenses in the past, this beats out those.

I would suggest finding some good very fast primes and try them out on the 7D2 to see what you can do. If you still have the itch for FF, then at least you have great glass to throw on it for a fast prime.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,665 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited 9 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jul 13, 2018 20:26 |  #14

And now I have a hankering for some fruit! And it nearing harvest time from the garden, but that was with an f2.8 lens. The differences between today's crop bodies and FF, at least in the Canon line, is becoming more blurred than before. The last 6 years have narrowed the gap a bit.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Still-Life/Scenic-Moments/i-vZnwDqW/0/36056a8d/X3/216A0501a-X3.jpg

HOSTED PHOTO

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,179 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 13, 2018 21:28 |  #15

I’ll second the idea to look toward improving technique and lighting before buying a FF camera. Yes, it’s a bit easier to get that blown out background look on FF, but it can be achieved pretty easily on APS-C as well. I often use a M4/3 camera and with reasonably fast primes (75mm 1.8 & 45mm 1.8 in my case) even that system can achieve some nice portraits, especially if you take a minute to set up a flash. I’m sure it’s even better with the new f/1.2 lenses for M4/3 as well. I’m not trying to sell you a new equipment in either direction, just stating that with the right techniques and some lighting skills, your portraits will probably improve much more with the gear you already have, than simply moving from APS-C -> FF.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

5,706 views & 87 likes for this thread
Current 7D MII user - wanting full frame...?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.