Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 29 Jul 2018 (Sunday) 06:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gaming laptop good choice, or something else?

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,060 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 29, 2018 06:19 |  #1

I've been using my 5 year old core i5 desktop with 8 gigs DDR3 for work until now. I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop so I can do more mobile work. The cheapest core i7 laptops are about $600-$700 but don't come with a bunch of memory or an SSD drive. At Costco they sell an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop for ~$1,100 on sale, sometimes $999. It has the 8th gen i7-8750H, 16 gigs DDR4 2666, GTX1050ti with 4 gig memory, and then a 1tb drive plus a 256gb SSD. There are other things like a good battery, monitor with fast refresh rate, etc but the main hardware seems to all be there. I also believe it comes with Windows 10 pro vs the home editions like most of the cheaper ones.

Any reason not to buy the ASUS gaming machine? Look at something else? I'm looking to have this for about the next 5 years, possibly longer.

sponsored links
DLeeT
418 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Jul 29, 2018 07:06 |  #2

mikeinctown wrote in post #18672878 (external link)
I've been using my 5 year old core i5 desktop with 8 gigs DDR3 for work until now. I am thinking of purchasing a new laptop so I can do more mobile work. The cheapest core i7 laptops are about $600-$700 but don't come with a bunch of memory or an SSD drive. At Costco they sell an ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop for ~$1,100 on sale, sometimes $999. It has the 8th gen i7-8750H, 16 gigs DDR4 2666, GTX1050ti with 4 gig memory, and then a 1tb drive plus a 256gb SSD. There are other things like a good battery, monitor with fast refresh rate, etc but the main hardware seems to all be there. I also believe it comes with Windows 10 pro vs the home editions like most of the cheaper ones.

Any reason not to buy the ASUS gaming machine? Look at something else? I'm looking to have this for about the next 5 years, possibly longer.

I assume you're purpose is photo editing? I've had an MSI for several years that has the I7-6700 and GTX960 video card. I couple it with an external HD monitor so can slide the sliders, etc on the laptop while viewing the image on the HD monitor. It's been a good combo. I don't think whether the laptop is called "gaming" really matters - just so it has the stuff inside it you want. You may be pressing it asking 5 years out of a laptop; they don't usually last as long as desktops. Lee

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,288 posts
Joined May 2003

Jul 29, 2018 17:30 |  #3

One thing you might want to do is keep an eye on the deals that PC Magazine publishes on a daily basis. Go to https://www.pcmag.com/​best-deals-today (external link) and again, they change daily, although sometimes not by much but it is worth watching. Usually Costco is tough to beat, but occasionally it can be done!

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,060 posts
Joined May 2012

Jul 30, 2018 08:35 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #18673317 (external link)
One thing you might want to do is keep an eye on the deals that PC Magazine publishes on a daily basis. Go to https://www.pcmag.com/​best-deals-today (external link) and again, they change daily, although sometimes not by much but it is worth watching. Usually Costco is tough to beat, but occasionally it can be done!

Thanks for the tip. I live near a Micro Center so I get their emails and check the stuff out pretty regularly. There are a couple that if discounted some would be good choices as well. Costco's prices even beat my discount through Dell so I pretty much just watch out for their one week sales locally.

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Aug 01, 2018 21:55 |  #5

mikeinctown wrote in post #18672878 (external link)

I've seen that ASUS computer at my Costco, and I'd say it's a pretty good deal in the $1000 ball park if you are looking for something that you can do photo stuff while also gaming.

Now, will it last 5 years? I think that's pushing it, but it's possible (if you take care of it). I tell folks to buy a quality laptop and budget for 3-4 years tops; if you get more, great...but don't always count on it. There's a reason most standard warranties are of the 1-3 year variety.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

GAJoe
315 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Aug 10, 2018 03:05 |  #6

mikeinctown wrote in post #18673629 (external link)
Thanks for the tip. I live near a Micro Center so I get their emails and check the stuff out pretty regularly. There are a couple that if discounted some would be good choices as well. Costco's prices even beat my discount through Dell so I pretty much just watch out for their one week sales locally.

I've been using an old Pentium with 4 Gigs of RAM for years now running LR 6.8. I had been keeping a check on the prices of a new system with a popular PC shop in ATL but the cost to get a significant upgrade were in the $2K range. Well the wife got a new job and said we needed to upgrade so I got off my duff and started doing some serious comparison shopping.

There's a Micro Center on my way home from work that has a "gaming " system of their store brand on sale. It's the Powerspec G315: Intel Core i5 8600K Processor 3.7GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5; 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 250GB SSD+1TB HDD. I added a USB 3.1 card reader, a 3 yr service plan and security suite. It cost 64% of the price of the shop that I had been watching. I paid a visit to the store and got great service and could talk the the service tech's. So we pulled the trigger on the purchase and I pick it up today. I'll let you know if I have problems.

Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400L MkII, EF 1.4X III, EF-S 18-135mm STM, 430 EX II flash, DCR-150, DCR-250, MANFROTTO 055XPROB w/ 322RC Grip

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 11, 2018 18:18 |  #7

FYI unless your joining a domain, Windows 10 home vs Pro will offer no difference for you. Well bitlocker i think as well.

remember external (not iGPU) video cards = less battery for anything that might use the GPU.

Asus makes good laptops, MSI as well but their higher end struggles with heat and loud fans. Clevo makes , or did, alot of OEM's computer chasis , Sager (xoticpc.com)

Currently Dreaming about what gear to own in the near future
The trouble with life is theres no background music
WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,060 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 28, 2018 08:46 |  #8

I wound up getting an HP Omen gaming laptop from MicroCenter. However, I returned it last night as the battery life was absolutely horrendous. Even at lowest power settings (battery saver) I could only get 2 hours watching YouTube videos before the battery was at 0% and I had to plug in. When I first got it I left the battery setting at the performance mode and it seemed like the battery drained in an hour. No point even owning a laptop that can only be used for 1-2 hours.

I also looked at a Dell 17" Inspiron 5000 at Costco. The processor is only 4 core vs 6 core and it has a lower end graphics card but the claim is that battery life is 10 hours based on their given benchmark tests. (the HP did not ever give a battery life number) Even if I get 4-5 hours under actual use, that is still more than double what the HP was giving me. Still undecided though.

samueli
936 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Aug 28, 2018 08:54 |  #9

BeritOlam wrote in post #18675383 (external link)
Now, will it last 5 years? I think that's pushing it, but it's possible (if you take care of it). I tell folks to buy a quality laptop and budget for 3-4 years tops; if you get more, great...but don't always count on it. There's a reason most standard warranties are of the 1-3 year variety.

I have an ASUS gaming notebook from 6 years ago (R500V I think) and haven't had a single issue. 1440x900 resolution is getting a bit long in the tooth, but otherwise completely reliable and usable. I like ASUS.

Mathiau
Goldmember
1,506 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Apr 2006

Aug 30, 2018 20:34 |  #10

mikeinctown wrote in post #18694792 (external link)
I wound up getting an HP Omen gaming laptop from MicroCenter. However, I returned it last night as the battery life was absolutely horrendous. Even at lowest power settings (battery saver) I could only get 2 hours watching YouTube videos before the battery was at 0% and I had to plug in. When I first got it I left the battery setting at the performance mode and it seemed like the battery drained in an hour. No point even owning a laptop that can only be used for 1-2 hours.

I also looked at a Dell 17" Inspiron 5000 at Costco. The processor is only 4 core vs 6 core and it has a lower end graphics card but the claim is that battery life is 10 hours based on their given benchmark tests. (the HP did not ever give a battery life number) Even if I get 4-5 hours under actual use, that is still more than double what the HP was giving me. Still undecided though.

Youtube will use a GPU if it has one, Any laptop with an added GPU your only going to get 1-3 hours battery on a good day if your using that GPU. When you say 4 cores vs 6 are those real cores or with HT, only intels new 8th gen have more physical cores.

What are the exact specs?

Currently Dreaming about what gear to own in the near future
The trouble with life is theres no background music
WARNING - post on images for critique and other items asking for feedback are simply my personal input and thoughts based on my own experiences and preferences.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,288 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by John from PA.

Aug 31, 2018 05:27 |  #11

mikeinctown wrote in post #18694792 (external link)

Perhaps you should be checking reviews before making a purchase. Quoting from https://www.pcworld.co​m …5-2017-review.html?page=2 (external link)

The HP Omen 15’s battery life sucks, even after reducing the brightness to 250 to 260 nits to ensure a level playing field between all the machines. It’s the worst we’ve ever seen in a gaming laptop, falling behind even the beastly Acer Predator 21 X and its dual GTX 1080s. It’s so bad that we double-checked our settings and ran the test again to confirm our results.

Most Max-Q laptops we’ve seen pack modest batteries, and the Omen 15 is no different with its 64-watt-hour capacity. That’s not enough to keep the screen fed for long with this particular configuration. 4K resolution is famous for murdering batteries. G-Sync is too, as it requires the Nvidia GPU to be active at all times—you can’t switch over to integrated Intel graphics to increase endurance with a G-Sync display. The combination cripples this Omen 15. Keep your charger close.

I happen to have just acquired a Dell 15 7000 and the battery life is a nice solid 8 hours. But I can get to almost 10 hours by turning off the backlit keyboard and reducing the screen brightness.

Check the deals over at https://www.pcmag.com/​best-deals-today (external link) but read a few reviews before parting with the $$.

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,060 posts
Joined May 2012
Post edited 1 month ago by mikeinctown.

Aug 31, 2018 07:22 |  #12

John from PA wrote in post #18697043 (external link)
Perhaps you should be checking reviews before making a purchase. Quoting from https://www.pcworld.co​m …5-2017-review.html?page=2 (external link)

I happen to have just acquired a Dell 15 7000 and the battery life is a nice solid 8 hours. But I can get to almost 10 hours by turning off the backlit keyboard and reducing the screen brightness.

Check the deals over at https://www.pcmag.com/​best-deals-today (external link) but read a few reviews before parting with the $$.

I read several reviews and the ones I saw didn't make it out to be as bad as I experienced.

This is the one I bought. Just not worth the hassle. I'm going to keep looking at the Dell laptops. http://www.microcenter​.com …g-laptop-computer---black (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 31, 2018 08:59 |  #13

'Gaming laptops' usually have a dedicated GPU compared to more mundane 'office laptops'. However, I am not convinced that this is the best investment for speeding up LR and PS - much I read online seems to show only a marginal improvement by the GPU (and what also corresponded with my personal experience). It seems that raw computational (CPU) speed, fast and plenty of RAM and SSD seems to have the largest impact on LR performance (this is from memory - somebody else might chime in here). These might be the main criteria you want to focus on (except if you indeed want to play games....).

Donate if you love POTN

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited 1 month ago by Kent Clark.

Sep 06, 2018 10:57 as a reply to  @ mikeinctown's post |  #14

We've owned 2 Dell laptops, 1 Lenovo Yoga, and 1 Macbook Air. The first Dell was pretty low end and it developed a large streak down the entire LCD about 15 months after we bought it, after the warranty had expired. The second Dell was mid range and about 2 months after purchase stopped working. We had to send it in and it was gone for more than a month, meanwhile my son had to rent one for his schoolwork. The Yoga hasn't had any major problems after 1 year. The Apple is almost 5 years old and continues to work flawlessly.

I've been a Windows guy for 30 years but at least for laptops this has changed my mind.

przemekl
32 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Sep 07, 2018 13:14 |  #15

Any thoughts on Alienware 17" or Blade?

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it's like a disease. It's painting with light.

sponsored links

1,244 views & 5 likes for this thread
Gaming laptop good choice, or something else?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.