Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
Thread started 30 Jul 2018 (Monday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
TOGGLE RATINGS BETWEEN ALL AND oingyboingybob (showing now: oingyboingybob)
Overall Rating8
Overall Image Quality9
Value for Money8
Bokeh8.5
Sharpness9.5
Contrast8.5
Focusing6
Must Haven/a
not rated
Suitability to Intended Usen/a
not rated
Got What I Expectedn/a
not rated
Ownership Status: "own"

Click here for sample photos and more info.
Click ratings to see total averages and rating distributions.
List all reviews of Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD

Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by oingyboingybob

oingyboingybob
158 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by oingyboingybob. (3 edits in all)

Jul 30, 2018 12:10 |  #1

Nice lens. Not too big and not heavy with a very good build quality.
Possibly not quite as crisp IQ-wise as the Sigma 85 Art however the difference IMO is negligible.
I have yet to find any CA at all.
Price is attractive in comparison if you shop around and the VC is a bonus as well as AF that initially appeared consistent however as I looked further into the AFMA using Reikan Focal it quickly became apparent that this lens has a focus shift issue. This has been mentioned in other non-POTN reviews and it is by no means a subtle issue as the variation in AFMA values throughout the aperture range is significant.

In a nutshell my copy of this lens front focusses wide open and back focusses stopped down and I don't think it's a fault, more a characteristic.

The range of values from f1.8 to f6.3 is +15 to -7 respectively in my copy of this lens. I didn't stop down any further as by the time I had finished the range that I did I was losing the will to live - it's time consuming.
However all is not lost - well I would say that would I not, seeing as how I have purchased one of these - as the actual images produced are very good. I have set my AFMA value at +6 but where focus is absolutely stonkingly critical then I'll use live view on my 1DX. I'm not a pro but I expect occasionally I will use live view for when I think I need to.
At approximately 1/3 of the cost of the new Canon 85mm f1.4 it's good value as long as you can live with the focus shift. I have not decided whether I shall keep mine or return it as I haven't had it long enough.
I've posted a couple of examples, neither is very exciting, more later if I do in fact keep it.

Follow up: After extensive real-world tests, ie I took a fair few photos, around 220, and spent quite a time checking out the results I have decided to return the lens as I found I was faffing too much changing settings on the move. I have still given an overall rating of 8 mainly because the results were good when everything was set right but I can't in all honesty recommend it as confidence is low as they say.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon: EOS 1DX, 70-300 f4-5.6 mkii, 24-105L
Sigma: 150-600C, 105 f2.8 EX DG OS, 50 f1.4A.

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,738 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. (2 edits in all)

Nov 11, 2018 01:00 |  #2

After hearing Dustin Abbots review, I added this lens alongside my Canon EF 85mm 1.2 ii ... not to replace, but in addition. He was right when he said the rendering reminded him of the Zeizz Otus. On my 5DS, it focuses very good too, somewhat better than your rating above. It is not very compatible with my M5 at the moment to focus in the right spot. I tried it with the EOS R and it works good with that body too.

One reason I didn't consider the Sigma Art 85 when choosing the Tamron, was that Sigma scores a hefty ZERO for IS / VC. This Tamron on the other hand is very good in that regard, making it a better buy for the money This Tamron is similar to Canon's new 85mm 1.4 in this regard, both adding that premium option.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

522 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD, reviewed by oingyboingybob
FORUMS Gear Reviews Lens Reviews 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.