Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does mirrorless do anything for you?

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 05, 2018 21:22 |  #1

If Canon bring out a FF ML body like the one that Nikon is supposedly bringing out in a few weeks, would you dump your DLSR for it?

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Aug 05, 2018 22:20 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

No.

gossamer88
"something else"
1,356 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Aug 05, 2018 22:25 |  #3

I would not either. EVF is cool but not enough for me to upgrade. I'm still holding on to a 6D for chrissake!

5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | iPhone X | 70-200mm IS II | 100-400mm IS II | Sigma 150-600mm C
100mm 2.8 Macro | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.8 STM | 35mm f/2 IS | 20mm 2.8 | 10-22mm USM

flickr (external link)

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,581 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 05, 2018 22:46 |  #4

In a heart beat.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 05, 2018 23:02 |  #5

I have a 5D3 and spent a couple of months with a Fuji XT-1 last year to dip my toe in the mirrorless waters.

I want these mirrorless features:

* Exposure preview in the viewfinder: No more chimping
* AF points distributed over the entire frame or at least much more widely than is possible with traditional DSLR phase detect systems
* AF that doesn't require calibration
* Truly silent shutter when rolling shutter isn't a concern

Things I don't want to give up:

* Battery life, especially standby time when I'm ready to shoot all day even if I'm not taking a ton of shots. I know Sony claims you can get lots of shots from an A9, but how long can it keep the EVF lit up before dying? Sure, you can always carry a bandolier full of batteries, but that means changing them in advance so you aren't caught short at a bad time. I just don't want to deal with it.
* Ergonomics. I can bring my 5D3 with 70-200 or 100-400 up to my eye with just my right hand because the camera is big enough to grip solidly. Not sure I could do that with a dainty ML camera and that size lens

If Canon's FF mirrorless has an EF mount or an adapter that causes ZERO degradation in lens performance, I'd seriously consider one provided it isn't some tiny body with terrible battery life.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,690 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by AlanU. (2 edits in all)

Aug 05, 2018 23:04 |  #6

Bear,

You will never know until you put yourself in the hotseat. Test a mirrorless in a similar situation where you are the most demanding.

So far I'm finding reception/party events photography I still have this odd preference using my mirrored bodies. This summer I am finding that I'm really enjoying the Sony A7iii for my car events photography.

If Canon comes out with a mirrorless FF with a decent touch screen or swivel screen I'll buy one...as long as it has a similar sensor as my 5dmk4. If Canon decides to pull the "slow" release of a high end sensor I'll stick with my Sony A7iii or infact buy an A7r3.

The only reason why I say such a thing is because I'm just been able to comfortably tame the sony colour science. If you asked me this same question months ago I would have probably told you I'd sell my A7iii and wait for Canon mirrorless.

The swivel on the sony A7iii just seems to match well with my shooting style for cars events coverage I do.

One shot I crouched down low and the other I held up the camera up in the air while composing the image with the tilt screen.

My 5dmk4 would be just a tad more difficult to compose. When I had my Canon 80D with tilt screen the aps-c sensor cannot even compete with my Sony A7iii sensor performance. My Fuji X-t2 a little better than my previous 80D but the fuji at small apertures in this type of lighting start to look like canvas or cartoons.

Since everyone has a different style of shooting you must test hardware yourself.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Bear ­ Dale
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Aug 06, 2018 00:35 |  #7

I shoot a Nikon D850 now and the ML annoucement has sent some Nikon owners into a major panic over the new Z mount being announced.

ML may be the future, but I can't see DSLR going away all that soon and I don't think that Nikon will stop support of the F mount.

If Canon bring out a FF ML, is there a chance that they would change the mount or did they cop to much of a beating the last time they changed the mount?

I honestly can't see Nikon or Canon not having parallel lines of both ML and DSLR on offer.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 06, 2018 00:35 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

It all depends. I hate EVFs and the ergonomics of most mirrorless cameras. I dont want or need a tiny little camera that feels like a toy. I am open to the idea of it though and would have to test it out. If I dont like it, I am going to sell one of my 6Ds and get a 5Ds. They should come down in price a bit more by then hopefully.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 06, 2018 00:38 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Bear Dale wrote in post #18678261 (external link)
If Canon bring out a FF ML, is there a chance that they would change the mount or did they cop to much of a beating the last time they changed the mount?

I honestly can't see Nikon or Canon not having parallel lines of both ML and DSLR on offer.

It will be a new Canon mount and honestly, we dont know what they have been up to. They could have lenses ready to go for it already. Yes, both Canon and Nikon will continue to support DSLRs too, at least for the first 2-3 years Id imagine, they may drop a few models though, not sure.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2018 00:41 |  #10

I know lenses aren't an investment but they have traditionally held their value much better than almost any other consumer electronics. If Canon does change the mount, I'm not looking forward to personally seeing thousands of dollars of value evaporate overnight.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 06, 2018 00:46 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18678265 (external link)
I know lenses aren't an investment but they have traditionally held their value much better than almost any other consumer electronics. If Canon does change the mount, I'm not looking forward to personally seeing thousands of dollars of value evaporate overnight.

They make these things called "adapters" that allow you to use your existing lenses on a new mount :-P

Its going to be a new mount (it has to be) and lenses are indeed an investment and what you should invest in. Bodies come and go.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2018 00:52 |  #12

Mbell1975 wrote in post #18678267 (external link)
They make these things called "adapters" that allow you to use your existing lenses on a new mount :-P

Its going to be a new mount (it has to be) and lenses are indeed an investment and what you should invest in. Bodies come and go.

Yes, but that assumes there's no performance loss from the adapter.

There's a big discussion about this on Fred Miranda and some are saying that the focus motors in current EF lenses aren't well suited to the AF system in mirrorless cameras. So presumably, lenses for the new mount would have AF motors optimized for mirrorless. Fast forward a few years and no one will want the old slow EF lenses.

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Aug 06, 2018 01:08 |  #13

ML came a looong way and I can see why manufacturers would want to switch to ML (less mechanics - more software like facial recognition, automatic one picture hdr, ...). I also can see how cellphones and cameras will merge in terms of software. However, I am more concerned about the performance at hand then about the technology to make it work. Will I switch when Canon comes out with a FF model? Most likely not. Will my next camera be an ML? Why not? To be tested.

Donate if you love POTN

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Aug 06, 2018 01:14 |  #14

drmaxx wrote in post #18678273 (external link)
ML came a looong way and I can see why manufacturers would want to switch to ML (less mechanics - more software like facial recognition, automatic one picture hdr, ...). I also can see how cellphones and cameras will merge in terms of software. However, I am more concerned about the performance at hand then about the technology to make it work. Will I switch when Canon comes out with a FF model? Most likely not. Will my next camera be an ML? Why not? To be tested.

I've been wanting to upgrade to the 5D4 for a while. I'll wait and see what Canon announces. If it's just a FF version of the M series, I'll pass. If it's a mirrorless 5D Mark V, I'll be very interested.

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018

Aug 06, 2018 03:33 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18678274 (external link)
I've been wanting to upgrade to the 5D4 for a while. I'll wait and see what Canon announces. If it's just a FF version of the M series, I'll pass. If it's a mirrorless 5D Mark V, I'll be very interested.

The 5DIV is already two years old tech. I expect Canon's FF mirrorless to be much better than the 5DIV.

sponsored links

42,973 views & 388 likes for this thread
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.