Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does mirrorless do anything for you?

PNPhotography
805 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 07, 2018 15:41 |  #106

If Canon or Nikon (I shoot both) come out with a competitive mirrorless I'll defiantly give it a look.I don't like Sony colors or their menus so I won't even consider them at this point.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2018 16:27 |  #107
bannedPermanent ban

PNPhotography wrote in post #18679587 (external link)
If Canon or Nikon (I shoot both) come out with a competitive mirrorless I'll defiantly give it a look.I don't like Sony colors or their menus so I won't even consider them at this point.

When you are shooting, what do you need to go into the menus for? I just need to format cards.

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,584 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 07, 2018 17:27 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #108

... and as a Sony user.... they make that as difficult as they can. There are a lot of things I will stand up and defend Sony on.... but their menu structure.... oh heck no.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,510 posts
Gallery: 1855 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.

Aug 07, 2018 17:55 |  #109

Mirrorless does a lot for me, to answer the thread's question. I'm all Fuji these days.

I left dSLR a while ago. I'm 90% mirrorless. The only dSLR I keep these days is a 1D series Canon and my large long telephotos because I just don't want to replace that long glass yet (300mm & 600mm).

Bottom line is that it doesn't matter if you shoot with a mirror or not. It's laughable that this is still a topic of discussion. It's all about the system and your needs. Shoot what you want, that you can afford, that supplies what you need for what you do.

There's no prize for staying with dSLR.

There's no prize for jumping to mirrorless.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2018 18:59 |  #110
bannedPermanent ban

Croasdail wrote in post #18679655 (external link)
... and as a Sony user.... they make that as difficult as they can. There are a lot of things I will stand up and defend Sony on.... but their menu structure.... oh heck no.

My point is that once you customize your camera...you don't have to go into the menu at all while doing a shoot...at least I don't.

From my view, a camera that requires you to go into the menu while shooting is a poorly designed camera no matter how good the menu is. Time spent looking and fiddling with a menu is time not spent shooting.

I ask again, what does one need to go into the menu system for when shooting? Maybe you just need to better customize your camera for the features you use.

PNPhotography
805 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 07, 2018 19:35 |  #111

Hogloff wrote in post #18679622 (external link)
When you are shooting, what do you need to go into the menus for? I just need to format cards.

Hogloff,After shooting Canon for 15 years Sonys menu system isn’t that user friendly or intuitive as Canon’s but I did list colors first and when it comes to colors Canon> Nikon> Sony and with menues Canon> Nikon> Sony.Opinions Do vary though.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,808 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 1 year ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Aug 07, 2018 19:36 |  #112

Hogloff wrote in post #18679715 (external link)
My point is that once you customize your camera...you don't have to go into the menu at all while doing a shoot...at least I don't.

From my view, a camera that requires you to go into the menu while shooting is a poorly designed camera no matter how good the menu is. Time spent looking and fiddling with a menu is time not spent shooting.

I ask again, what does one need to go into the menu system for when shooting? Maybe you just need to better customize your camera for the features you use.

That might be true for a lot of folks, but for those who shoot in widely divergent situations, changing the camera's set up can be very necessary.
For example, I normally do not shoot youth sports, but each time I have gone to shoot my grandson playing youth lacrosse league, I have to change

1. what focus zones are in the default group size
  2. how the camera indicates the active AF zones
  3. how the camera visually indicates that focus is achieved

...and there are one or two other settings, that I cannot think of at the moment. Things seldom changed by me ordinarily, but key settings to improve upon the results I can get under the shooting situation. And as I do not shoot youth sports often, I do not know routinely where to find these settings quickly, if I have to poke thru a multilayered menu system.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 07, 2018 19:47 |  #113
bannedPermanent ban

PNPhotography wrote in post #18679727 (external link)
Hogloff,After shooting Canon for 15 years Sonys menu system isn’t that user friendly or intuitive as Canon’s but I did list colors first and when it comes to colors Canon> Nikon> Sony and with menues Canon> Nikon> Sony.Opinions Do vary though.

I shoot mainly landscape and travel / street and find the Sony colours more vibrant and have more contrast requiring little sharpening. Some of this can be attributed to Zeiss glass which I typically shoot with.

Going back to the 7D, it requires more colour adjustments and much more sharpening details.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,326 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 07, 2018 20:07 |  #114

Wilt wrote in post #18679730 (external link)
That might be true for a lot of folks, but for those who shoot in widely divergent situations, changing the camera's set up can be very necessary.
For example, I normally do not shoot youth sports, but each time I have gone to shoot my grandson playing youth lacrosse league, I have to change

1. what focus zones are in the default group size
  2. how the camera indicates the active AF zones
  3. how the camera visually indicates that focus is achieved

...and there are one or two other settings, that I cannot think of at the moment. Things seldom changed by me ordinarily, but key settings to improve upon the results I can get under the shooting situation. And as I do not shoot youth sports often, I do not know routinely where to find these settings quickly, if I have to poke thru a multilayered menu system.

I don't really find the menu all that complex. It's like Android vs Apple or Mac vs PC. They are different but not impossible to learn.

Having completely abandoned Canon makes you learn really fast.

Sony menus are more in depth because there are a lot more features. There aren't many multilayered settings aside from picture profiles.... Those are deep as hell, and needs to be for high end video. One of those things that you configure once and go.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Aug 08, 2018 07:18 |  #115

https://www.mirrorless​rumors.com …nounced-on-september-4-5/ (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Lumens
454 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Aug 08, 2018 07:32 |  #116

05Xrunner wrote in post #18679245 (external link)
yea it does alot for me. I dumped my entire Canon 7DII kit and went full mirrorless Fuji and would never go back to a big bulky DSLR. the XT2 seems to best the 7D2 in pretty much everyway it seems.

Yep, got an XT-1, then an XT-2 on the day it was released. I'll never go back.

FUJI XT-2 & FUJI XT-3 ->
12mm Roki, 16 f1.4, 35 f1.4, 56 f1.2, 80 Macro
10-24, 18-55, 55-200, 100-400

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,326 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Aug 08, 2018 10:13 |  #117

I'm hoping Canon steals Nikon's Thunder  :p

Either way, exciting times, Sony can really use some competition. If they want to be the leader, they'll simply have to continue their pace of innovation to stay that way.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,696 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Aug 08, 2018 13:49 |  #118

Bassat wrote in post #18678974 (external link)
+1
1 body, 2 lenses, tops.

This sounds to me as though you choose this option out of necessity though...

I often carry a body (sometimes 2) and 2-4 lenses depending on where I'm going or what I'm shooting. Why? Because each lens weighs very little and I can fit them easily into my bag and also have room for a speedlight and trigger just in case. This certainly wasn't the case when I was shooting with a 6D, even with my adapted manual lenses.

aezoss wrote in post #18679031 (external link)
Test driving a X-T2 + 23 2.0 + 56 1.2 + 90 2.0 this weekend. Short answer, no, the DSLRs aren't going anywhere. The X-T2 produces beautiful images but continuous AF is, at least with the 56 & 90, terrible (in boost mode). Tried shooting dog agility with it. Holy cow it was bad, particularly the 90. The closer the subject the worse the AF.

Even lumbering Rottweilers weren't easy for the AF to track. Dark coats were often difficult to lock on to. Once it lost a lock good luck getting it back.

I'm sure some/most of this is user error combined with 'portrait' lenses but since this is the configuration I'd most likely buy it seems fair to test it as a general purpose go everywhere system.

It's not really an either/or question. If I had disposable cash I'd buy the X-T2. The pictures it produces are great. The form factor with the lenses I'm using are much smaller/lighter than my equivalent DSLR. My better half really liked the ergonomics as well. She doesn't like SLR OVFs but really liked the EVF.

The fact my 6D destroys it in AF performance makes me wonder if I could live with the X-T2 though. No one sits still in our house.

To tie this to the OP's qn, Canon will have to release a mirrorless body with AF equal to or better than their DSLRs for me to go all in. Native EF would be nice but a new mount wouldn't be a deal breaker if accompanied by a good selection of lenses.

Snapshot of our 13 year old retired racer. Resized sooc jpg.

Upfront I'll fully acknowledge that Fuji's tracking system is overly complex and thus I'm not surprised you had issues... however, if you learn to set up the camera properly to utilize it's AF system then it does a stellar job in my experience (better than my 6D did, and way easier thanks to all the extra AF points).

Even with my old lenses (known for being slow to AF) I rarely have an issue with tracking the things I shoot, the key is knowing how to setup the camera.

These are my most recent examples. X-Pro2 + XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8. I was in the back/sides of the gym shooting inward, in the first two examples the subject was tumbling towards the camera, it had no problem keeping up.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/850/43796896001_331a985f76_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29Jb​xjz  (external link) DSCF8713 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/858/43796894321_17a011109f_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29Jb​wPB  (external link) DSCF8880 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/862/43749062382_44edf5f99e_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/29DX​o41  (external link) DSCF8931 (external link) by Lucas (external link), on Flickr

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Mbell1975
248 posts
Joined Jul 2018
Post edited over 1 year ago by Mbell1975.

Aug 08, 2018 14:13 |  #119
bannedPermanent ban

Hogloff wrote in post #18679237 (external link)
Rebels are not in the same league quality wise as the A7 line...I'd never downgrade my image quality to a rebel to reduce weight.

Hmmmm. Here are two pics I shot with a Rebel T2i and the cheapest lens (50 f/1.8) that Canon makes. The first was published in Maxim, the second was featured in a layout for Muscle and Fitness. Both were shot natural light, no flashes or strobes. Ive also had shots published around the world I took on a T5i and a T6i. If you can't get quality photos with a Rebel, its not the camera....

https://imgur.com/maNP​M7W (external link)
https://imgur.com/IUDA​NL7 (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,640 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Aug 08, 2018 14:34 as a reply to  @ Mbell1975's post |  #120

I tend to find those that say that haven't ever really tried shooting with a rebel, or it was a decade ago with the T1i and earlier models. Certainly those rebels made in the last few years are quite, quite capable, some with DR and IQ beating out older FF at low ISO. There just isn't really a bad camera made any more from any manufacturer, that is what competition brings to the table... all model lines have to improve quickly to keep up.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

43,130 views & 388 likes for this thread
Does mirrorless do anything for you?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.