Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 12 Aug 2018 (Sunday) 14:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Timbavati Private Reserve - 8 days 7 nights

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 19, 2018 16:36 |  #31

AFRICAN WILD DOGS MEET HYENAS

This may have been the highlight of the safari. On other trips to Africa only one time did we experience a sighting of a wild dog and at that it was one lone dog with a tracking collar on him. So we were unprepared for this spectacular extraordinary encounter between a pack of 17 wild dogs and about 15-20 Hyenas. incredible!

As mentioned before our guide was careful not to tip us off of a possible predator sighting. Why I am not sure. Maybe to avoid a disappointment. In any event once again we heard chatter on the radio but couldn't understand the language. Immediately our Ranger Guide told us to hold on and make sure our hats etc were secure. He headed for something very fast and we got quite the ride with the safari vehicle bumping up and down and tossing us around. It was fun and exciting.

So finally we came upon the sighting. There were other vehicles already there (not too many) and we were on the "tar road"...and there they were. African Wild Dogs and Hyenas chasing each other around in what can only be described as a "frenzy"; some were fighting and we had no idea what was really going to happen. The dogs chased the hyenas and then the hyenas chased the dogs. There were scuffles but "no blood", i.e. nothing got killed that we could tell.

The encounter was so amazing I have to admit I was frazzled and didn't know what to do. i was swinging my camera from left to right trying to capture the action; trying to keep focused and looking for interesting shots. The adrenaline was pumping fast. I was trying to alternate between video and stills and frankly it was just too chaotic to adequately record what was happening. My video gives a sense of what was going on albeit it pretty short but by no means is it great footage or with any sort of purpose. Just wildly swinging back and forth hoping to capture a sense of the event.

So, below is an except from my Timbavati 2018 video/slideshow that I made which includes stills and some video clips . This is a short little except but maybe gives a sense of the excitement and what was happening. You be the judge.

If anybody has experienced such an encounter by all means tell us about it. Pretty rare in my experience.

sponsored links
308Shooter
442 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Aug 19, 2018 19:28 |  #32

Still loving all your shots..... What a great trip!!

sogs
190 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Aug 19, 2018 20:10 as a reply to  @ i-G12's post |  #33

Looks like the thrill of a lifetime!

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 1 year ago by i-G12. (2 edits in all)

Aug 19, 2018 20:43 |  #34

308Shooter wrote in post #18687797 (external link)
Still loving all your shots..... What a great trip!!

Thank you. It was a great trip.

sogs wrote in post #18687835 (external link)
Looks like the thrill of a lifetime!

Already looking forward to the next one.

Gbgb
447 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Aug 20, 2018 06:19 |  #35

Great shots, My wife & I are off back to Africa in a few weeks. 4 days of 5* luxury, followed by 6 days in the bush! One extreme to the other!

I love your Big Cat shots!

gb From GB
flickr (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/graham.bamber.7 (external link)

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2018 13:26 |  #36

After night 4 we transferred to Simbavati River Lodge which is about an hour North of the Kambaku Safari Lodge still in the Timbavati Privagte Game Reserve. It was a very nice lodge as it is right on the Nhlaralumi River in the heart of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. Great food with a slight gourmet flair. :)

It was very cool sitting in the lodge watching things happen in the river and the game viewing on our drives was really really great.

Here are a couple of images from the lodge deck overlooking the river...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2018 13:35 |  #37

Late in the day after we arrived at Simbvavati we went on our afternoon game drive and were immediately treated to a great sighting of a 6 year old male Leopard named Mondsweni. He was magnificent. The lighting was getting bad but was able to get a lot of nice images. Took well over 100 off him ... some good...some not so good. We watched him for quite some time as we initially was just laying in the middle of the road. Finally when he got up we walked towards our vehicle and then right along side us within two feet. Yes, once again a little tense but he was just so beautiful...

We had another encounter with a 13 year old female leopard which actually started on day two of our trip at the Kambaku camp and ended two days later in Sambavati. I'll post that series later!

Here is Mondsweni ---

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2018 13:39 |  #38

Another one of Mondsweni...

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2018 13:44 |  #39

Birds everywhere. The Hornbill variety are plentiful and they are much smaller when you see them live than they appear in pictures.

We ran into a Red-Billed Hornbill and also a Yellow-billed version. You have to be quick though as they tend to take flight fast if they think they are threatened in any way:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,994 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Aug 20, 2018 13:51 |  #40

i-G12 wrote in post #18687663 (external link)
AFRICAN WILD DOGS MEET HYENAS

OMFG! Wow!

Amazing series all around but this just blew my mind.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 20, 2018 13:54 |  #41

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18688515 (external link)
OMFG! Wow!

Amazing series all around but this just blew my mind.

Yeah Jake. Even the guides were saying in all their years in the bush they never saw anything like that.

Incredible. Wish I did a better job with the video but it was so crazy I just got mixed up. :D

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 21, 2018 19:49 |  #42

The adventure continues...

We saw a lot of zebra but many times the lighting was lousy. Not sure why other than luck of the draw. There was a herd of Zebra grazing and here is what was decided: The guide would open the safari vehicle door and step out onto the ground which he said would stampede the herd away from us and we could practice out panning skills at say 1/25 trying to get one in focus and thus blurring the rest of the herd as they ran. Everything worked to perfection except my panning skills sucked and I didn't get a single good image.Two of the people in the group did however and it was a really cool effect.

So we'll have to settle for these instead...

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 21, 2018 19:50 |  #43

Here is an inquisitive one...

HOSTED PHOTO

TheFloridaShooter
713 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Aug 22, 2018 21:32 |  #44

When you were at Kambaku Safari Lodge can I ask who you had as a Guide and Tracker ? I was there in 2017 and fell in love with Africa.

1Dx MKII | 1Dx | 5D MKIV | 5D MKIII | 5Ds r | 5Ds | 7D MKII | 7D | G16 | G3x | EOS M & M3 | 800 f5.6 | 600 f4 | 400 f2.8 | 300 f2.8 | 200-400 f4 | 100-400 f4.5 - 5.6 II x 2 | 70-200 f2.8 | 14 f2.8 II | 50 f1.2 | 50 1.4 | 85 f1.2 | 135 f2 | 24-70 f2.8 II | 11-24 f4 | 35 f1.4 II | Pentax 645Z | SMC Pentax-DA 645 25mm F4 AL | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL | Pentax 90mm f/2.8 D FA 645 Macro ED AW SR | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 200mm f/4 IF | SMC Pentax-D FA 645 300mm f/4 ED IF | SMC FA 645 400mm f/5.6 ED IF Lens

i-G12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Wat?
1,816 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Aug 23, 2018 07:10 |  #45

TheFloridaShooter wrote in post #18690574 (external link)
When you were at Kambaku Safari Lodge can I ask who you had as a Guide and Tracker ? I was there in 2017 and fell in love with Africa.

Our guide was Ryno and our tracker was Moses!

Both outstanding.

sponsored links

5,964 views & 183 likes for this thread
Timbavati Private Reserve - 8 days 7 nights
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.