Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Gallery: 1032 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2020 07:44 |  #2011

Chris1966 wrote in post #19126190 (external link)
Are you actually considering the 600mm f4 Matthew :eek:
What a beautiful lens, but só big and heavy.
Waiting, waiting for that 600PF....
Just picked up the D500. This time it's here to stay :-)

No way, Chris, my days of lugging heavy lenses are over! Even if Nikon did a big weight shave (ala Canon/Sony 600s) I still wouldn't bite. Nope, I'm 500mm on 1.5 APSC man from here on out, it's a perfect focal range for me. If they did come out with a 600 f/5.6PF though, I'd certainly switch to a FF camera, probably the D850.

Congrats on the D500, don't get rid of it ever again, it's going to be a collectors item someday!

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 17, 2020 07:59 |  #2012

MatthewK wrote in post #19126172 (external link)
Thanks, Phil. While the Carolina Wren is most common, it's actually a challenge to get a fun pose out of them because they are constantly jittering around. This side profile with tail straight up is what I'm after in Wren shots, so yeah, I came away with a shot I'm really happy with!

In an unrelated topic, I see you are posting over on the Steve Perry Back Country Gallery forums! How are you liking it so far? What I also noticed is your shots taken w/ the 600 f/4, which are fantastic by the way! I need to expand my viewing to other Nikon stuff outside of our small 500PF bubble here on POTN  :p

When I saw in Steve's newsletter that he was going to start a forum, I was excited. It was Steve Perry's videos & e-books that dramatically accelerated my transition from Canon to Nikon. I've learned a ton from him (his resources). When it opened I joined.

From my perspective, it seems to have an "FM feel" as user interaction goes. There are some really good and friendly folks on there, but it just doesn't have "at home" feel that I've always had here. It's difficult to quantify.

As the 600 goes.... I've been spending the last several weeks with the hummingbirds that are passing through and I've exhausted all my typical variations of shots, so I've been shooting with different bodies & lenses to change things up. I've used 70-200, 300PF, 500PF, 600F4, 50-250 (Z50 kit lens), Z50, Z6, D500, & D850. I'd say my faves for this are D500 w/ 500PF and Z50 w/ 300PF.

I did make an interesting observation during this exercise that I may not have otherwise made. With the 600F4, I use a tripod & gimbal head and either stand in a corner or sit on a stool. When behind the 600 (regardless of what body is attached), my vision is radically reduced (obstructed by the behemoth 600F4). I missed several hummer visits simply because I did not see one coming in time to capture it - due to limited line of sight. Honestly, I never noticed this before - with this 600F4 or the Canon. I guess I was "used to" sitting behind it and didn't realize the limits imposed on my line of sight.

Forum bubbles.... This is my favorite spot too. Because I've been shooting things other than just the 500PF, I have been visiting a few other threads here in the Nikon section and occasionally the Bird Mega-Thread.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 17, 2020 14:52 |  #2013

This is the best example of Lens Flare I've captured with the 500PF. I remember that was the big "issue" that was the buzz before everyone got the lenses in their hands.

I was just looking at exposure variances while "practice panning" typical hummingbird routes as I awaited the next visit (through the EVF). As I swept past the glass feeder, I got a direct sun reflection back into the lens.

The result was interesting enough that I clicked a shot. You can actually see the perimeter glow of the sun in the orange flare.

"Abstract Flare"

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50352851278_296e507482_h.jpg

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 17, 2020 19:48 |  #2014

Completely opposite outing today: gloomy, terrible light, stayed in my backyard, but had TONS of warblers. Every single tree was crawling with 2 or 3 of them. No new species, except for a female Black-throated Blue; everything else was Magnolia and Cape Mays:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
22,222 posts
Gallery: 1956 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 18, 2020 04:09 |  #2015

DocRoger wrote in post #19125741 (external link)
Just like Matt, I'm enjoying an influx of migrating Warblers as they head south for the winter. Not only are these quick movers tough to catch, but with all the leaves in the trees, getting them out in the open is a real challenge.

This Wilson's Warbler was deep in the shadows but because it was a lifer for me I had to try and get a capture. Not too bad for ISO 4000.
QUOTED IMAGE

This Magnolia Warbler isn't nearly as colorful as when it passed through in the spring but still a nice sight to see. Another in the shadows ISO 4000 shot.
QUOTED IMAGE

This Philadelphia Vireo put a grin on my face when it bounced out onto an open branch in great light and posed.
QUOTED IMAGE

As you see, high ISOs are nothing for the d500.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MedicineMan4040
22,222 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 18, 2020 04:10 |  #2016

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19125963 (external link)
"Look Mom: No Wings!"

QUOTED IMAGE

Totally unique! I love the wings (what little can be seen) this way.
I remember setting up the mass flash array to freeze a Ruby throated...once I did it I was not so impressed with
a hummer frozen in flight. Give me the motion! and this shot has LOTS of motion where it counts Phil.

flickr (external link)

Chris1966
258 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by Chris1966. (4 edits in all)

Sep 18, 2020 04:15 |  #2017

MatthewK wrote in post #19126406 (external link)
Completely opposite outing today: gloomy, terrible light, stayed in my backyard, but had TONS of warblers. Every single tree was crawling with 2 or 3 of them. No new species, except for a female Black-throated Blue; everything else was Magnolia and Cape Mays:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=191​26406&i=i184714093
forum: Nikon Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=191​26406&i=i254343213
forum: Nikon Lenses

I especially like the second one Matthew! I see Topaz has made you a daring shooter, by using 1/640 at iso 6400 on a static subject ;-)a

On another note, and I hope you guys forgive me here, but apart from being passionate about photographing birds, I am even more passionate about their safety towards the future with the immense impact of modern human civilization fast reaching its summit. Here is an article from the Guardian. Have you heard from this and do you know more about it? I live in Europe of course, so it is across the atlantic for me.
Please feel free to ignore if it is not your cup of tea! And my apologies for the not so nice bird photograph.

https://www.theguardia​n.com …f-in-south-western-us-aoe (external link)

Chris1966
258 posts
Joined Apr 2019

Sep 18, 2020 04:45 |  #2018

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #19126528 (external link)
As you see, high ISOs are nothing for the d500.

Robert, you may have read that I repurchased the D500. I missed it, the images and the performance. My thirst for mirrorless has been relegated to general shooting, with the Z24S and Z50S taking turns in being glued to the Z7, but for birding, I might just stick with the D500+500PF until I rest my birding life. Unless the 600PF comes that is.....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 18, 2020 05:35 |  #2019

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19126316 (external link)
This is the best example of Lens Flare I've captured with the 500PF. I remember that was the big "issue" that was the buzz before everyone got the lenses in their hands.

I was just looking at exposure variances while "practice panning" typical hummingbird routes as I awaited the next visit (through the EVF). As I swept past the glass feeder, I got a direct sun reflection back into the lens.

The result was interesting enough that I clicked a shot. You can actually see the perimeter glow of the sun in the orange flare.

"Abstract Flare"
QUOTED IMAGE

Definitely getting a Christmas light feel to this shot, Phil, especially with the red and green background colors :) (can't wait for Christmas, love that time of year). Very pretty abstract capture! But yeah, I'm not seeing any of that fear mongered diffractive optic onion bokeh that people were hand wringing about.

MedicineMan4040
22,222 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Sep 18, 2020 05:40 |  #2020

Chris1966 wrote in post #19126544 (external link)
Robert, you may have read that I repurchased the D500. I missed it, the images and the performance. My thirst for mirrorless has been relegated to general shooting, with the Z24S and Z50S taking turns in being glued to the Z7, but for birding, I might just stick with the D500+500PF until I rest my birding life. Unless the 600PF comes that is.....

I don't think the D500+500PF combo will be bested in my lifetime. It is a wonder if any company will issue a diffractive 600mm. Since I'm waiting on the R5 to arrive I wonder if Canon will add to their diffractive offerings and do their version of the 500PF ?? I feel in my bones Sony never will :( So for me it is either Canon or Fuji I pin hopes on.

flickr (external link)

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 18, 2020 05:52 |  #2021

Chris1966 wrote in post #19126532 (external link)
I especially like the second one Matthew! I see Topaz has made you a daring shooter, by using 1/640 at iso 6400 on a static subject ;-)a

On another note, and I hope you guys forgive me here, but apart from being passionate about photographing birds, I am even more passionate about their safety towards the future with the immense impact of modern human civilization fast reaching its summit. Here is an article from the Guardian. Have you heard from this and do you know more about it? I live in Europe of course, so it is across the atlantic for me.
Please feel free to ignore if it is not your cup of tea! And my apologies for the not so nice bird photograph.

https://www.theguardia​n.com …f-in-south-western-us-aoe (external link)

I did see that news article, very sad :( It was rough seeing the little warblers in the photos, knowing that we're seeing the same birds in our outings these days. I have to assume it's due to the fires and all the smoke these migrants have to deal with, else they'd be dying all over the country.

Oh, these warblers were anything but static, they never sit still! Evidence of this is in the Magnolia shot, you can see his foot moving as he was just about to hop to the next perch. It's exhausting trying to keep up with these little birds! 1/640 is my default, and I'll venture down to 1/400 to eek out the last bit of exposure, but motion blur then becomes an issue. Part of that ISO 6400 was caused by inaccurate metering on my part, as in my efforts to track this CMW I think I probably metered off of that dark background and skyrocketed the ISO... in fact, I know that to be the case because I actually reduced exposure by -1EV in post, so that means I could have done 3200 :oops: heck, I probably could have gotten away with 1600. The D500 is good for it though, I wasn't too concerned.

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 18, 2020 05:56 |  #2022

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19125963 (external link)
"Look Mom: No Wings!"

QUOTED IMAGE

Phil, I just wanted to revisit this shot to say that it is outstanding. This is the sort of photo I hope to someday get of a hummer, it's soo good!

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 1 year ago by MatthewK.

Sep 18, 2020 06:05 |  #2023

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #19126557 (external link)
I don't think the D500+500PF combo will be bested in my lifetime. It is a wonder if any company will issue a diffractive 600mm. Since I'm waiting on the R5 to arrive I wonder if Canon will add to their diffractive offerings and do their version of the 500PF ?? I feel in my bones Sony never will :( So for me it is either Canon or Fuji I pin hopes on.

I'm with you, Robert... anything Canon makes is going to be a chunker of a lens, if that rumored 500 f/2.8 is any indication :p Completely wrong direction in my humble opinion, but I'm sure it'll be a nice lens. Poor Nikon is in a scary place financially, and they need to focus on getting their basic Z line fleshed out, so I don't think they'll be pumping money into showcase lenses like a 600PF anytime soon :( Yeah, it's up to you, Fuji!

Chris1966
258 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by Chris1966.

Sep 18, 2020 06:18 |  #2024

MatthewK wrote in post #19126565 (external link)
I did see that news article, very sad :( It was rough seeing the little warblers in the photos, knowing that we're seeing the same birds in our outings these days. I have to assume it's due to the fires and all the smoke these migrants have to deal with, else they'd be dying all over the country.

Yes, I am aware of that, I have been following the problems with forest fires in the US for a couple of years, and the droughts in California. Rather than scare people off, I hope reports such as these make people aware that we need to transition away from the burning of fossile fuel in whatever form ASAP. And we are smart enough as humans to do it, but it takes an enormous effort which starts with awareness, and then action by innovation. Europe is, as EU, formulating a new EU wide strategy for the coming decades which involves drastic action, including CO2 reduction of 55% by 2030!
Awareness is really growing here that now is the time to transition, or future generations will be in dire trouble.
This still has to be executed EU wide, but the time for excuses is past, all EU members will have to make the ultimate effort to innovate.
Hopefully across the atlantic a similar effort will arise across the whole of the US to transition to a sustainable economy, so birders in the future will still have a wide and abundant variety of species to shoot, instead of sitting with their 15.000,- high-tech rigs in their laps, waiting for nothing. This I pray for (although I am not conventionally religious ;-)a)

Oh, these warblers were anything but static, they never sit still! Evidence of this is in the Magnolia shot, you can see his foot moving as he was just about to hop to the next perch. It's exhausting trying to keep up with these little birds! 1/640 is my default, and I'll venture down to 1/400 to eek out the last bit of exposure, but motion blur then becomes an issue. Part of that ISO 6400 was caused by inaccurate metering on my part, as in my efforts to track this CMW I think I probably metered off of that dark background and skyrocketed the ISO... in fact, I know that to be the case because I actually reduced exposure by -1EV in post, so that means I could have done 3200 :oops: heck, I probably could have gotten away with 1600. The D500 is good for it though, I wasn't too concerned.

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 18, 2020 13:32 |  #2025

Hello, goodbye, all in a blink... that's about every Magnolia Warbler encounter.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

363,790 views & 6,034 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.