Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

DocRoger
251 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 27, 2020 06:13 |  #2071

MatthewK wrote in post #19130211 (external link)
You’ve been on a hot streak, Doc, this is another awesome shot because you are so up close, and the lighting looks perfect too. There’s also that signature clarity and color we get from this body/lens combo.

That’s disheartening news to hear :( just when things are getting good, right?

Thanks Matt, yes this lens/body combo rocks :-D.

I went back to the park yesterday and was able to find 3 warblers feeding in the trees so I guess there may be a few shots left over there.

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jazzdoc/ (external link)

sponsored links
MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Gallery: 1032 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2020 13:08 |  #2072

We still got some Warblers here, as the weather has been sort of warm and rainy, so they're sticking around a bit longer hopefully.

This was the scene that greeted me on my way out this morning, Northern Flickers were lallygagging on the path. You can see the start of the leaves changing in the background here, and after the cooler nights and rain, the color is coming in quick.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Still waiting for a hero shot of a Magnolia Warbler... I get tons of sub-par shots like this one, but I'm still after that perfect side profile, clean lighting and no branches intruding.

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2020 17:26 |  #2073

Autumn has started to touch everything, and the gorgeous pops of color are starting to appear everywhere.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Len ­ Poxon
74 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2020

Sep 27, 2020 17:40 as a reply to  @ post 19129106 |  #2074

Two more superb photos, well done.

Len ­ Poxon
74 posts
Joined Sep 2020

Sep 27, 2020 17:49 as a reply to  @ post 19129944 |  #2075

You are being too hard on yourself, this is a great shot, thanks for sharing.

Len ­ Poxon
74 posts
Joined Sep 2020

Sep 27, 2020 17:52 as a reply to  @ post 19130052 |  #2076

Stunning shots of the RTH, is that a squirrel that its got?

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 27, 2020 18:45 |  #2077

DocRoger wrote in post #19130051 (external link)
That is so AWESOME Matt! Those are both fantastic shots! It looks like they have just about left Ohio, glad to see they are still coming through your way. Love that Black-throated Blue shot! As for the Black and white - awesome shot! If the branch really bothers you (I don't really mind it) one thing you might try is to mask the Warbler and the foreground branch it is perched on and then you can adjust the background. I use a combination of decreasing the Highlights and Shadows, adjust the Levels and Curves to take the background down. While the bird is masked you can also use gaussian blur on the background. Sometimes a little cloning too. You can make the branch much less noticeable - but it's a lot of work, might not be worth the trouble. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips, I’ll give the masking a go here during my next round of editing. I have the most trouble where the subject meets the background, and trying to not have a noticeable line. The stick bothers me only because it’s super bright, so you may be on to something by just trying to tone it down.

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 27, 2020 19:54 |  #2078

Len Poxon wrote in post #19130846 (external link)
Stunning shots of the RTH, is that a squirrel that its got?

Thanks. It's a chipmunk. This was a juvie and I think a squirrel would be out of its league. :lol:

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 27, 2020 20:01 |  #2079

MatthewK wrote in post #19130860 (external link)
Thanks for the tips, I’ll give the masking a go here during my next round of editing. I have the most trouble where the subject meets the background, and trying to not have a noticeable line. The stick bothers me only because it’s super bright, so you may be on to something by just trying to tone it down.

Yes, I tone down the background to help bring the attention to the bird in the foreground. Maybe not the best example, but here's one from the other day. I sacrificed detail on the bird because I had to crop it quite a bit, but you can get the idea. I masked both the bird and the foreground leaves and branch, and then made adjustments on the background.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50386971712_082099a86c_b.jpg

Chris1966
258 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited over 1 year ago by Chris1966.

Sep 28, 2020 08:34 |  #2080

Yes, autumn is on the doorstep Matthew! I hope you will be enjoying some nice fall colors!

I just purchased a license for Topaz Denoise. After getting comfortable with it as a photoshop plug-in, I am now able to get results that I like. Here is one of the Little grebe shots. Matthew, thanks for insisting that the D500 and Topaz denoise are a good match, they are! The D500 files have such "body" that they still have lots of depth when the noise is reduced to virtually non-existent. It's a great tool, and I even read that Topaz has changed its license/upgrade and tool development scheme, to offer better in-depth improvements for existing tools. So a promising tool going forward! B.t.w., this was a low iso shot (iso 200), but it still removes a particular fine noise and makes the image look almost as smooth as that from a full frame camera with lower resolution.

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by EyeSpyEagle.

Sep 29, 2020 10:34 |  #2081

MatthewK wrote in post #19130697 (external link)
We still got some Warblers here, as the weather has been sort of warm and rainy, so they're sticking around a bit longer hopefully.

This was the scene that greeted me on my way out this morning, Northern Flickers were lallygagging on the path. You can see the start of the leaves changing in the background here, and after the cooler nights and rain, the color is coming in quick.

While your warbler shot have been fantastic, the Northern Flicker family on the path is just really intriguing to me. It makes me stop & wonder what they might be communicating to one another. Super cool capture!

The fall colors shot make me crazy jealous. Here, we go from pale green to brown to bare on ~90% of our trees.

I had another first time visitor to the yard this week - an Eastern Phoebe. They are quite common in TX, I've just never seen one visit my yard. Pretty poor light inside the canopy of the bush & backlit by the pale grey sky, but "ole faithful" didn't bat an eye.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50396671088_4e2bf5fa83_h.jpg

Our hummers are getting pretty sparse now too, so I expect they will all be off to points south this week.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Sep 29, 2020 10:46 |  #2082

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19131682 (external link)
I had another first time visitor to the yard this week - an Eastern Phoebe. They are quite common in TX, I've just never seen one visit my yard. Pretty poor light inside the canopy of the bush & backlit by the pale grey sky, but "ole faithful" didn't bat an eye.

Our hummers are getting pretty sparse now too, so I expect they will all be off to points south this week.

Those Phoebes are pretty common around here too and they are always quite eager to pose for the camera.

The hummer shot is outstanding! Fantastic colors in the background! I will also sometimes shoot these like you did with the slower shutter speed. It works well because the bird is essentially motionless, just the wings moving which makes them almost "disappear and gives a cool effect. Well done!

Len ­ Poxon
74 posts
Joined Sep 2020

Sep 29, 2020 17:42 as a reply to  @ EyeSpyEagle's post |  #2083

Beautiful shots, especially the Hummer.

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 29, 2020 17:50 |  #2084

Len Poxon wrote in post #19131874 (external link)
Beautiful shots, especially the Hummer.

Thank you, Len. I appreciate it.

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 30, 2020 04:59 |  #2085

Chris1966 wrote in post #19131103 (external link)
Yes, autumn is on the doorstep Matthew! I hope you will be enjoying some nice fall colors!

I just purchased a license for Topaz Denoise. After getting comfortable with it as a photoshop plug-in, I am now able to get results that I like. Here is one of the Little grebe shots. Matthew, thanks for insisting that the D500 and Topaz denoise are a good match, they are! The D500 files have such "body" that they still have lots of depth when the noise is reduced to virtually non-existent. It's a great tool, and I even read that Topaz has changed its license/upgrade and tool development scheme, to offer better in-depth improvements for existing tools. So a promising tool going forward! B.t.w., this was a low iso shot (iso 200), but it still removes a particular fine noise and makes the image look almost as smooth as that from a full frame camera with lower resolution.

Outstanding, this is a nice shot of the Grebe, very smooth lighting and details all around!

I can't take credit for the Topaz DeNoise revelation, that accolade has to go to Phil, as he turned me on to it a while back, but yes, it's a crucial tool to have in the kit. Along w/ Lightroom, this is a piece of software that I don't have any reservation paying for, it's made such a massive difference in not only how I post process, but it also gives you confidence in less than ideal lighting conditions to capture shots you'd previously have avoided due to noise. That is to say: I don't really care about high ISO shooting anymore.

DocRoger wrote in post #19131689 (external link)
Those Phoebes are pretty common around here too and they are always quite eager to pose for the camera.

The hummer shot is outstanding! Fantastic colors in the background! I will also sometimes shoot these like you did with the slower shutter speed. It works well because the bird is essentially motionless, just the wings moving which makes them almost "disappear and gives a cool effect. Well done!

Phoebes are impossible to photograph, I am lucky to get one shot a year!

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19131682 (external link)
While your warbler shot have been fantastic, the Northern Flicker family on the path is just really intriguing to me. It makes me stop & wonder what they might be communicating to one another. Super cool capture!

The fall colors shot make me crazy jealous. Here, we go from pale green to brown to bare on ~90% of our trees.

QUOTED IMAGE

Your Hummer shots are brilliant, Phil, always full of crisp detail, and you expertly bring out that emerald green color in their plumage!

I'm right there with you, as I've never had a chance to sit and watch Flickers out in the open before this, as they are always in deep woods up in the trees, or in tangled underbrush. There were 4 or 5 of them in this group, and they were hopping around and would chortle at each other, while others would sit and sway their head at the others. Their interactions were comical and intriguing! When I was just getting serious into birding, during the colder months I'd take my blind out into the woods and wait for Flickers to show up, because without a blind you can't get anywhere close to them... might have to employ the blind again this year, I haven't gotten a nice Flicker shot in a while.

sponsored links

363,808 views & 6,034 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.