Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

Chris1966
258 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 2 months ago by Chris1966.

Jul 19, 2021 15:35 |  #2431

Two more of the Hare

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
DocRoger
251 posts
Gallery: 154 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2018

Jul 23, 2021 21:05 |  #2432

I've been totally out of the loop (and this thread) as I just moved out of my house of 28 years and into some new digs. Moving is never fun but having to go through 28 years worth of stuff and decide what to keep was a painful (but necessary) experience. But now that's over with, I've been able to get back out shooting. A few of my Nikon friends have jumped ship to the R5 + 100-400, but I'm keeping the 500+500PF combo going as long as I can and got to get some nice Kingfisher shots the other day too.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/jazzdoc/ (external link)

markesc
Goldmember
3,440 posts
Gallery: 1477 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 24, 2021 10:09 |  #2433

WOW!!!!!! Best KF shots I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DocRoger wrote in post #19263415 (external link)
I've been totally out of the loop (and this thread) as I just moved out of my house of 28 years and into some new digs. Moving is never fun but having to go through 28 years worth of stuff and decide what to keep was a painful (but necessary) experience. But now that's over with, I've been able to get back out shooting. A few of my Nikon friends have jumped ship to the R5 + 100-400, but I'm keeping the 500+500PF combo going as long as I can and got to get some nice Kingfisher shots the other day too.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by DocRoger in
./showthread.php?p=192​63415&i=i25063279
forum: Nikon Lenses

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​63415&i=i49375024

https://chrismarkes.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Jul 24, 2021 22:44 |  #2434

markesc wrote in post #19263599 (external link)
WOW!!!!!! Best KF shots I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are too kind Mark, thanks!

markesc
Goldmember
3,440 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 24, 2021 22:48 |  #2435

Hey I call 'em like I see 'em!

You should put those over in the birds section as well. I think the other best kf shots are perched that I've seen on here, but nobody has come that close to a proper outta water shot like that!!

DocRoger wrote in post #19263825 (external link)

avondale87
thanks for whoever started this
11,043 posts
Gallery: 939 photos
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited 2 months ago by avondale87.

Jul 24, 2021 22:53 |  #2436

DocRoger wrote in post #19263825 (external link)

I've got to second that. Marks comments ie.
It's exceptionally good. There's enough action to get the feeling, but the detail is incredible.
Really well done

Richard

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Jul 24, 2021 22:56 |  #2437

avondale87 wrote in post #19263834 (external link)
I've got to second that. Marks comments ie.
It's exceptionally good. There's enough action to get the feeling, but the detail is incredible.
Really well done

Thanks so much. This was a very special encounter - such an amazing bird!

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Gallery: 1032 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 25, 2021 09:03 |  #2438

thumbnail

Probably one of the most perfect bird photos I’ve ever seen, hats off to you, Doc!

DocRoger
251 posts
Joined Apr 2018

Jul 25, 2021 09:19 |  #2439

MatthewK wrote in post #19263963 (external link)
Probably one of the most perfect bird photos I’ve ever seen, hats off to you, Doc!

Really so nice of you to say Matthew, and I could say the same about some of your Warbler shots!

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 29, 2021 21:17 |  #2440

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=192​63415&i=i25063279

thumbnail

Dang Roger!

These are spectacular!

Simply.... W O W!!!!

Kinda makes be embarrassed to post this one (but you already saw it. ;-)a ).

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51410563592_086b7a402e_o.jpg

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2021 09:13 |  #2441

Well, since I last posted here, I moved from Maryland to Wisconsin. New house is in a small woodsy village, and my backyard is teeming with bird activity, yet... I've kind of just lost the spark for photography :( I've managed to get out on a few walks though, just to scout the place out. Delighted to see that there's Rose-breasted Grosbeaks around, as well as Yellow Warblers and Indigo Buntings. If the birding urge ever returns, I'm definitely in a good place!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris1966
258 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 23 days ago by Chris1966. (7 edits in all)

Sep 02, 2021 10:07 |  #2442

MatthewK wrote in post #19278833 (external link)
Well, since I last posted here, I moved from Maryland to Wisconsin. New house is in a small woodsy village, and my backyard is teeming with bird activity, yet... I've kind of just lost the spark for photography :( I've managed to get out on a few walks though, just to scout the place out. Delighted to see that there's Rose-breasted Grosbeaks around, as well as Yellow Warblers and Indigo Buntings. If the birding urge ever returns, I'm definitely in a good place!

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=192​78833&i=i260831707

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=192​78833&i=i234631648

You have some beautiful birds there Matthew! I can understand you lost the spark; birding is a quaint passion. I don't run that risk myself, since in my case it did not start with bird watching or photography, but with an inexplicable fascination with bird migration and their unbounded perspective during their life on this earth. I made air balloon trips to understand their literal view better, and have a fascination for their navigational skill and physical attributes that make this possible. I also hve a fascination for their "living on the edge of starvation" skills, and their abilities to give birth to new hedgelings and get them ready for trips around the globe in only a week or 8-10.

This is a fascination that cannot diminish or disappear, since apparently a small part of my soul is embedded in the way birds live, but if I did not have that, I would easily lose interest over time as well I guess. I don't have the sports action interest in capturing birds in impossible flight positions at 20fps at all, so that would certainly not keep me going, and neither do I have a liking for capturing birds ripping their prey into pieces explicitly.

But who knows, when you have fully settle, it might all return ;-)a. Your songbirds images are great.

markesc
Goldmember
3,440 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Sep 02, 2021 10:09 |  #2443

Agreed; It's always nice to take time off / enjoy some variety...

Chris1966 wrote in post #19278843 (external link)
You have some beautiful birds there Matthew! I can understand you lost the spark; birding is a quaint passion. I don't run that risk myself, since in my case it did not start with bird watching or photography, but with an inexplicable fascination with bird migration and there unbounded perspective on living on this earth. I made air balloon trips to understand their literal view better. This is a fascination that cannot diminish or disappear, since apparently a small part of my soul is embedded in the way birds live, but if I did not have that, I would easily lose interest over time as well I guess. I don's have the sports action interest in capturing birds in impossible flight positions at 20fps at all, so that would certainly not keep me going.

But who knows, when you have fully settle, it might return ;-)a

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,707 posts
Gallery: 196 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Sep 02, 2021 13:26 |  #2444

MatthewK wrote in post #19278833 (external link)

Very nice Matt. Hopefully, you'll soon settle into the new environment and be able to do whatever puts a smile on your face. I can only imagine the kiddos occupy a majority of your time and interest.

Wish you all the best, Buddy! ;-)a

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Cream of the Crop
5,064 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 02, 2021 14:28 |  #2445

Chris1966 wrote in post #19278843 (external link)
You have some beautiful birds there Matthew! I can understand you lost the spark; birding is a quaint passion. I don't run that risk myself, since in my case it did not start with bird watching or photography, but with an inexplicable fascination with bird migration and their unbounded perspective during their life on this earth. I made air balloon trips to understand their literal view better, and have a fascination for their navigational skill and physical attributes that make this possible. I also hve a fascination for their "living on the edge of starvation" skills, and their abilities to give birth to new hedgelings and get them ready for trips around the globe in only a week or 8-10.

This is a fascination that cannot diminish or disappear, since apparently a small part of my soul is embedded in the way birds live, but if I did not have that, I would easily lose interest over time as well I guess. I don't have the sports action interest in capturing birds in impossible flight positions at 20fps at all, so that would certainly not keep me going, and neither do I have a liking for capturing birds ripping their prey into pieces explicitly.

But who knows, when you have fully settle, it might all return ;-)a. Your songbirds images are great.

Appreciate the kind words, Chris. Songbirds are definitely my passion, and that's what I'll always be drawn back to.

I'm of the notion that the best bird photographers are ones that weren't originally photographers, aka they picked up the camera because they wanted to capture wonderful birds that they already had a passion for ;)

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19278941 (external link)
Very nice Matt. Hopefully, you'll soon settle into the new environment and be able to do whatever puts a smile on your face. I can only imagine the kiddos occupy a majority of your time and interest.

Wish you all the best, Buddy! ;-)a

Thanks, Phil. The move was a bear, but we're pretty much settled in now. And yes, the kids take up a majority of my time now, especially since I'm 100% work from home now. If it isn't kids, it's lawn work, so at the end of the day, I don't have much time to devote to any other pursuits!

sponsored links

363,797 views & 6,034 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.