Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 21, 2019 11:56 |  #511

Dunno much about Dragonflys, but they sure can be pretty to look at. They can also be a biotch to photograph because they land on the smallest perches and they blow like crazy in the wind. Lol!

500PF + 1.4x TC

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by EyeSpyEagle.

Jul 22, 2019 18:56 |  #512

Backlit Bumble Bee (BBB) in the back yard...

Still playing w/ the TC.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,711 posts
Gallery: 950 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 22, 2019 19:15 |  #513

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18898231 (external link)
Backlit Bumble Bee (BBB) in the back yard...

Still playing w/ the TC.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EyeSpyEagle in
./showthread.php?p=188​98231&i=i168103953
forum: Nikon Lenses

How are you finding the AF accuracy and speed with the TC, Phil? I'm really curious as to how it performs in more complicated settings (branches, leaves, etc).

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by EyeSpyEagle. (2 edits in all)

Jul 22, 2019 19:30 |  #514

MatthewK wrote in post #18898241 (external link)
How are you finding the AF accuracy and speed with the TC, Phil? I'm really curious as to how it performs in more complicated settings (branches, leaves, etc).

Honestly, I have noticed very little difference with the TC in place. I know that may not match other opinions, but all I can share is my experience.

This bee was in a horribly cluttered vitex tree, that was swaying in the breeze (and backlit). The same is true of the blue colored dragonfly a couple pics up. As long as you have "reasonable" light & set exposure comparably, it seems to kick azz.

Edit (add): Full disclosure - I have not used the TC, much more than a full day of shooting. Thus far, it's been A-ok - no issues with AF speed, acquisition, or lock. I did use primarily single point (center) and about 10% of the time, I used Group (also in the center).

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,711 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2019 05:28 as a reply to  @ EyeSpyEagle's post |  #515

I'd be stoked to get results like this bee shot! Nice and sharp, smooth background, what's not to love?

What I love about this setup now is that I don't have to use extenders to get my preferred FOV (unlike my 600, which has a 1.4 glued to it), which equates to not having to cary any extra gear. It was the same w/ my Fuji x100F, where rightoff the bat I bought the wide angle and tele converter add-on lenses, only to sell them shortly thereafter b/c they added bulk, required a bag, and subsequently defeated the entire purpose of the system (to be small, unobtrusive, minimalist). Decisions, decisions -?

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,711 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2019 05:29 |  #516

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18897434 (external link)
Dunno much about Dragonflys, but they sure can be pretty to look at. They can also be a biotch to photograph because they land on the smallest perches and they blow like crazy in the wind. Lol!

500PF + 1.4x TC

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​97434&i=i154488148

This is fricken awesome, Phil.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2019 07:38 |  #517

I finally came up on the waiting list. Mine should be getting shipped out today or tomorrow. I’m going to take a short vacation next week while my wife’s out of town to break it in.

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2019 07:40 |  #518

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18897434 (external link)

500PF + 1.4x TC

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​97434&i=i154488148

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=188​97434&i=i161970138

How is the minimum focusing with that TC attached? I have a TC coming in today that I’ll be using with Mine quite a bit down here in Florida where we have a lot of sunlight. I’m trying to figure out if I’ll need to pick up an extension tube because I like to do close-ups of dragonflies and insects.

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by EyeSpyEagle.

Jul 23, 2019 08:04 |  #519

MatthewK wrote in post #18898436 (external link)
I'd be stoked to get results like this bee shot! Nice and sharp, smooth background, what's not to love?

What I love about this setup now is that I don't have to use extenders to get my preferred FOV (unlike my 600, which has a 1.4 glued to it), which equates to not having to cary any extra gear. It was the same w/ my Fuji x100F, where rightoff the bat I bought the wide angle and tele converter add-on lenses, only to sell them shortly thereafter b/c they added bulk, required a bag, and subsequently defeated the entire purpose of the system (to be small, unobtrusive, minimalist). Decisions, decisions -?

You can/will get the same results! :)

What's even better, that not many talk about, is the fact that you can walk with a light weight rig that has an effective FL of 1050mm all day long and get this sorta shots - HAND HELD! That's absolutely crazy.

I have not had my 500PF on a tripod yet. Wifey used a tripod & wimberly gimbal on our trip to FL, in April while photographing a Bald Eagle nest. That was really her 1st use of her 500PF. Since then, she has been hand held too.

MatthewK wrote in post #18898437 (external link)
This is fricken awesome, Phil.

Thanks so much! :)

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18898473 (external link)
I finally came up on the waiting list. Mine should be getting shipped out today or tomorrow. I’m going to take a short vacation next week while my wife’s out of town to break it in.

That is outstanding news! You are gonna be so happy when you get this one in your hands. Hope you have the best of conditions & subject availability during your maiden adventure! I'll be eager to see what you get & how you like the new experience.

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18898475 (external link)
How is the minimum focusing with that TC attached? I have a TC coming in today that I’ll be using with Mine quite a bit down here in Florida where we have a lot of sunlight. I’m trying to figure out if I’ll need to pick up an extension tube because I like to do close-ups of dragonflies and insects.

Seems like the MFD is about 10' or so on the 500PF. All of the dragonfly shots I've posted here were from the car window, but some were pretty close to that distance, others were further.

When Jake mentioned tubes earlier, it really got me thinking that they could really be fun with this lens. Yo may be surprised at what you can get with just the lens - 500mm Macro, or 700mm w/ the TC. Lol!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,711 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2019 08:34 |  #520

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18898475 (external link)

Hmmm.. extension tubes sound like a fun idea!

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,434 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Jul 23, 2019 09:13 |  #521

MatthewK wrote in post #18898499 (external link)
Hmmm.. extension tubes sound like a fun idea!

Peer pressure - da*mit!

Guess we goota see how they work. hahahaha!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2019 13:20 |  #522

MatthewK wrote in post #18890236 (external link)
Got a coat for my 500pf, finally:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=188​90236&i=i21738313

I went to the site and noticed that they didn't have the 500 PF listed as one of the lenses they had coats for. Did you contact customer service? The order form looked like it was in Polish.

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,711 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jul 23, 2019 13:32 |  #523

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18898636 (external link)
I went to the site and noticed that they didn't have the 500 PF listed as one of the lenses they had coats for. Did you contact customer service? The order form looked like it was in Polish.

Send Hubert an email here: biuro@huganature.pl

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Jul 23, 2019 14:23 |  #524

MatthewK wrote in post #18898640 (external link)
Send Hubert an email here: biuro@huganature.pl

Thanks

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
21,207 posts
Gallery: 1934 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jul 23, 2019 14:42 |  #525

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18898473 (external link)

Congratulations Daniel. Waiting is no fun but it's almost over!

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

205,914 views & 4,522 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.