Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,466 posts
Gallery: 865 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by MatthewK.

Aug 01, 2019 20:10 |  #571

First day out in my new, post-1DX2+600 world :oops: Lot of fledglings out and about, and I got super lucky when I happened upon a family of Great Crested Flycatchers! Of course, it was last second b/c I had to get home, but I fully intend to get out there again ASAP. This has been a bird I've been after all year, and they're gorgeous right now w/ the caramel brown details w/ that bright yellow belly.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 01, 2019 21:08 |  #572

MatthewK wrote in post #18903558 (external link)
First day out in my new, post-1DX2+600 world :oops: Lot of fledglings out and about, and I got super lucky when I happened upon a family of Great Crested Flycatchers! Of course, it was last second b/c I had to get home, but I fully intend to get out there again ASAP. This has been a bird I've been after all year, and they're gorgeous right now w/ the caramel brown details w/ that bright yellow belly.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=189​03558&i=i124388974
forum: Nikon Lenses

OMG, Dude - that's beautiful! Love it!

I'm try to get thru pics from today & I'll share examples & thoughts (per my previous post). :)

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
20,466 posts
Gallery: 1889 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2019 06:56 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #573

So Matt how do you feel post 1DXii ?
I know many would have deep remorse.
Personally I was relieved feeling that Canon has been really
really good to me but that I'd paid the price of carrying the burden
long enough.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,466 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by MatthewK.

Aug 02, 2019 07:51 |  #574

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18903762 (external link)
So Matt how do you feel post 1DXii ?
I know many would have deep remorse.
Personally I was relieved feeling that Canon has been really
really good to me but that I'd paid the price of carrying the burden
long enough.

I've been a little despondant and down since the deal was done, but after getting out yesterday with the Nikon, I feel a whole lot better :)

This was my last Canon DSLR :-( It's like when you first lose a tooth as a kid, and you constantly feel that gap where something used to be. The 1DX2 was essentially the perfect camera, aside from the bulk/weight. While I'm more than capable of slinging the weight around, ever since the D500PF arrived I've asked myself: what's the point? Sure, the 1DX2 combo wins on most of the comparisons, but not by that much, and "that much" isn't enough for me to resolutely justfiy continuing to schlep it around.

Honestly though, I feel like I sold off a perfectly good camera for no reason, but it's too late now. And who knows what Canon has in store here coming up, this may turn out to be the right move.

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined May 2008

Aug 02, 2019 09:47 |  #575

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18903484 (external link)
A couple creatures from a morning walk....

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by EyeSpyEagle in
./showthread.php?p=189​03484&i=i195966902

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​03484&i=i19408436

I love that dragonfly shot!

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 02, 2019 09:49 |  #576

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18903481 (external link)
Very nice, Dan!

Have I mentioned that I am most envious of your location? Lol!

Keep'm coming!

Thanks. It is definitely primo for wildlife photography (especially if you like birds). The downside is the heat for 8 months of the year and humidity. The photography opportunities make it work ok for me, but my wife hates it here.

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
20,466 posts
Gallery: 1889 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Aug 02, 2019 09:56 |  #577

Well I still have the 400DOii. It will be on the block as soon as I take possession of the Sony 200-600G.
Still have the EOS 8-15 fisheye, nothing like it in the Sony world.
Still have a T2i that is hydrogen alpha modded for astro-resale probably too little ever bother with.

Just remember all of this changes as we age and loose weight bearing ability.

I do wish Nikon would put out a mirrorless that can accept the 500PF or 300PF directly without adapter--even if a Nikon
adapter, but I know the chances of that are nil.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,466 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 02, 2019 10:24 |  #578

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #18903853 (external link)
Well I still have the 400DOii. It will be on the block as soon as I take possession of the Sony 200-600G.
Still have the EOS 8-15 fisheye, nothing like it in the Sony world.
Still have a T2i that is hydrogen alpha modded for astro-resale probably too little ever bother with.

Just remember all of this changes as we age and loose weight bearing ability.

I do wish Nikon would put out a mirrorless that can accept the 500PF or 300PF directly without adapter--even if a Nikon
adapter, but I know the chances of that are nil.

To have this tiny little Nikon crop camera and f/5.6 lens basically match the big guns, it caused me to have one of those moments of clarity: "oh crap, did I really need to spend all that $$$$ and sweat on the 1DX2+600?!" -? Ummmmmmm..... Countless times now I've waited for that "gotcha" moment to slap me in the face, when the D500PF was obviously, utterly, totally outclassed by the 1DX2+600, but it just never happened.

You have me intrigued by the 300PF, and in another place you said that it'll end up being your all-time favorite lens :) Very bold statement, it's definitely piqued my interest.

I'm really interested in seeing how you like the 200-600 too!!!

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 02, 2019 10:36 |  #579

MatthewK wrote in post #18903876 (external link)
To have this tiny little Nikon crop camera and f/5.6 lens basically match the big guns, it caused me to have one of those moments of clarity: "oh crap, did I really need to spend all that $$$$ and sweat on the 1DX2+600?!" -? Ummmmmmm..... Countless times now I've waited for that "gotcha" moment to slap me in the face, when the D500PF was obviously, utterly, totally outclassed by the 1DX2+600, but it just never happened.

You have me intrigued by the 300PF, and in another place you said that it'll end up being your all-time favorite lens :) Very bold statement, it's definitely piqued my interest.

I'm really interested in seeing how you like the 200-600 too!!!

I struggled a little bit between picking up the older 500 f/4 instead of the 500 PF. After shooting with the PF I feel good about my decision. Photography is a series of compromises and a lens that is portable, while still providing telephoto prime image quality is the best compromise for me.

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited 8 months ago by KayakPhotos.

Aug 02, 2019 10:38 |  #580

Extra bonus points for amazing TC performance.

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48432410566_3237a4a9c1_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gMN​Liu  (external link) green perch dragon (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48432409861_2c55f9dfe0_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gMN​L6k  (external link) standing tall (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48432409741_6bce3c6b01_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2gMN​L4g  (external link) threat from above (external link) by Daniel (external link), on Flickr

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 02, 2019 13:01 |  #581

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18903844 (external link)
I love that dragonfly shot!

Thanks - I am getting more & more intrigued by Dragonflys. In fact, Wifey & I have started looking for a good book to help us ID & understand what we're seeing, but surprisingly it's been more difficult that I had expected to find one we like.

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18903883 (external link)
Extra bonus points for amazing TC performance.

Holey-smokes! That Dragonfly shot is EXCELLENT - with or w/o a TC. Definitely bonus point worthy! :)

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 02, 2019 14:23 |  #582

"Shhhhh..... Think I'll hide right here."

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Aug 02, 2019 18:08 |  #583

MatthewK wrote in post #18903499 (external link)
Let’s hear ‘em!

Ok... I took a couple days off this week to celebrate (commiserate?) the aging process.

As such, I set out to one of my favorite local spots in hopes of seeing a Bald Eagle that's been hanging around lately. Sadly, I did not spot it. Fortunately, I was surprise to see several Black Chinned Hummingbirds already back & visiting their standard spot as they lay-over on their journey south.

As I mentioned earlier, I had setup several rigs, in different configs and had them at arms reach so I could be "ready" for whatever I might come across.

Over the three days, I used various mixes of the following bodies & lenses. D500 (2x), D850, Z6, 500PF (2x), 300PF, 600F4. I used the 600 on both the D850 & a D500. I used 500PF on all bodies, and I used the 300PF on Z6 & D500.

While is was a "powerful" feel to have the 600F4 at the ready and it IS a fun lens to shoot and MF'er, it's sharp. When shooting from the car, I tyipcally use a LensCoat beanbag designed to hang on the door. It works quite well for "most" birding. In this case, "most" does not include hummers. They are way to fast & darty, which makes it challenging to track them if you're not on a gimbal head. The 500PF & 300PF are TOTALLY different in this respect. They are sooooo light & nimble, it's almost silly.

I had originally intended to try to post several comparative shots - 500PF vs. 600F4. I still may work on that, but I had a scenario this morning that TOTALLY summed up what I wanted to demonstrate.

I got to the spot where the hummers frequent early - about 7:15 local time. I like to stop in an adjacent parking lot to get the rig with the 600 out of it's case in the back and then set everything up in the front seat. That way, when I stop by the hummer spot, I don't have to get out of the car potentially spook any critters.

As I was about to shut the back of the car, D500/600F4 in hand, a flash went overhead and it was a Coopers Hawk being chased by 3 Mockingbirds. To my utter amazement, Mr. Cooper stopped and lit on a weather station immediately adjacent to the Turk Caps bush the hummers like (which was about 50 feet from where I was standing). With 600 in hand, I had no choice but to power the camera on as I was swinging the D500 up to my eye & start shooting - adjusting on the fly. I just knew he'd be gone any second, so I was madly trying to get something decent while he was there.

After firing off enough shots that I was reasonably confident I had something usable, I put the 600 in the car & grabbed wifeys D500/500PF combo that was already in the front seat. Same exercise -power up as I raised the camera to my eye, shoot, adjust on the fly, & hope for the best. The big (actually HUGE) difference was weight / mobility / maneuverability wit the D500 / 500PF. Heck, I was able to slowly walk towards the hawk with the camera still at me eye & trained on the subject. EASY PEASEY!!!!

Sample from both follow. There is a slight difference in bokeh, but not that much. 600F4 is 1st, 500PF is 2nd.

Following the hummers is another HUGE different. With the 500PF, it's pretty easy once you get in rhythm. With the 600, it's almost impossible. You can get them perched & hovering, but tracking is sketchy at best.

I now this is not news to anyone that already owns the 500PF, but it is just one incredible piece of technology! Also, having put some fresh miles on the 300PF this week... I almost forgot just how badazz that one is too! The 300PF being F4 can be another perk, but I am certainly not complaining about the 500PF @ F5.6.

More as time allows.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,287 posts
Joined May 2008

Aug 02, 2019 21:55 |  #584

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18904075 (external link)
Ok... I took a couple days off this week to celebrate (commiserate?) the aging process.

As such, I set out to one of my favorite local spots in hopes of seeing a Bald Eagle that's been hanging around lately. Sadly, I did not spot it. Fortunately, I was surprise to see several Black Chinned Hummingbirds already back & visiting their standard spot as they lay-over on their journey south.

As I mentioned earlier, I had setup several rigs, in different configs and had them at arms reach so I could be "ready" for whatever I might come across.

Over the three days, I used various mixes of the following bodies & lenses. D500 (2x), D850, Z6, 500PF (2x), 300PF, 600F4. I used the 600 on both the D850 & a D500. I used 500PF on all bodies, and I used the 300PF on Z6 & D500.

While is was a "powerful" feel to have the 600F4 at the ready and it IS a fun lens to shoot and MF'er, it's sharp. When shooting from the car, I tyipcally use a LensCoat beanbag designed to hang on the door. It works quite well for "most" birding. In this case, "most" does not include hummers. They are way to fast & darty, which makes it challenging to track them if you're not on a gimbal head. The 500PF & 300PF are TOTALLY different in this respect. They are sooooo light & nimble, it's almost silly.

I had originally intended to try to post several comparative shots - 500PF vs. 600F4. I still may work on that, but I had a scenario this morning that TOTALLY summed up what I wanted to demonstrate.

I got to the spot where the hummers frequent early - about 7:15 local time. I like to stop in an adjacent parking lot to get the rig with the 600 out of it's case in the back and then set everything up in the front seat. That way, when I stop by the hummer spot, I don't have to get out of the car potentially spook any critters.

As I was about to shut the back of the car, D500/600F4 in hand, a flash went overhead and it was a Coopers Hawk being chased by 3 Mockingbirds. To my utter amazement, Mr. Cooper stopped and lit on a weather station immediately adjacent to the Turk Caps bush the hummers like (which was about 50 feet from where I was standing). With 600 in hand, I had no choice but to power the camera on as I was swinging the D500 up to my eye & start shooting - adjusting on the fly. I just knew he'd be gone any second, so I was madly trying to get something decent while he was there.

After firing off enough shots that I was reasonably confident I had something usable, I put the 600 in the car & grabbed wifeys D500/500PF combo that was already in the front seat. Same exercise -power up as I raised the camera to my eye, shoot, adjust on the fly, & hope for the best. The big (actually HUGE) difference was weight / mobility / maneuverability wit the D500 / 500PF. Heck, I was able to slowly walk towards the hawk with the camera still at me eye & trained on the subject. EASY PEASEY!!!!

Sample from both follow. There is a slight difference in bokeh, but not that much. 600F4 is 1st, 500PF is 2nd.

Following the hummers is another HUGE different. With the 500PF, it's pretty easy once you get in rhythm. With the 600, it's almost impossible. You can get them perched & hovering, but tracking is sketchy at best.

I now this is not news to anyone that already owns the 500PF, but it is just one incredible piece of technology! Also, having put some fresh miles on the 300PF this week... I almost forgot just how badazz that one is too! The 300PF being F4 can be another perk, but I am certainly not complaining about the 500PF @ F5.6.

More as time allows.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​04075&i=i15221881

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​04075&i=i14556044

They are essentially the same, minus the more shallow depth of field with the 600. Thanks for sharing as its an interesting comparison of real world usage.

Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,466 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Aug 03, 2019 09:05 |  #585

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #18904075 (external link)

More as time allows.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​04075&i=i15221881

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=189​04075&i=i14556044

Nice work Phil, what a cooperative Coopers to help you out! The results perfectly sum up the tradeoffs you get when comparing the two rigs, and will help photographers decide if it's worth it for their style of shooting. Background blur is one of the pillars of how photos are judged these days, and aside from us bird nerds, no one ever really cares the work it took to actually get the photo. The bolded part of your post above exhibits one of the traits that allow us to get certain shots that a heavy 600 wouldn't: keeping the camera up to your eye, not making large swinging arc movements that startle birds, I think is a major advantage of this lens. Less overall movement = less scared birds. I had similar experiences using the 100-400 II, being able to stalk slowly at the ready made getting shots a bit easier.

If shooting from a hide or tripod, 600 all the way, but for opportunistic handheld shooters like ourselves, 500pf is where it's at.

I showed the two shots to my wife, asking her which she preferred, and the 600 f/4 was the winner b/c of the background blur ;-)a

sponsored links

127,365 views & 3,274 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.