Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
Thread started 24 Aug 2018 (Friday) 16:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Gallery: 861 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 16, 2020 17:35 |  #1231

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19010702 (external link)
Theresa & I both photographed our 1st Hermit Thrush's in Vegas last week, but they were noting like these two images. VERY nice, Matt! :)

Man, Vegas sounds like a birding paradise. Hermit Thrush and Hummers at the same time?!

Hermits are fairly easy to shoot, but they require some patience because they like to land on every single available perch, and quite often it's not the one you want. So, just wait around, they'll get to yours eventually :)

sponsored links
EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 16, 2020 17:39 |  #1232

MatthewK wrote in post #19010801 (external link)
Man, Vegas sounds like a birding paradise. Hermit Thrush and Hummers at the same time?!

Hermits are fairly easy to shoot, but they require some patience because they like to land on every single available perch, and quite often it's not the one you want. So, just wait around, they'll get to yours eventually :)

Good to know!

Man, that place was sensory overload! Waiting around & patience was in short supply. hahahahaha!!!!!

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 16, 2020 18:19 |  #1233

I was told by the folks at the Preserve in Henderson, NV. that this fella is a juvi Costa's Hummingbird. We did some some adults that were more obvious.

Merlin ID's this one as a Black-Chinned, but it does not have the Costa's Hummer in the version I have. Sibley does include the Costa's and from looking at the pics in there, this could be a Costa's. All that to say, I don't know for sure...

What I can say, is this guy was REALLY small - like barely 2/3 the size of my thumb, small (except what stretching!).

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited 1 month ago by MatthewK.

Feb 16, 2020 18:33 |  #1234

Both of these shots exhibit the sort of brushy, bramble-thicket woodland that I regularly shoot in. Very challenging for camera AF systems, and you're always bumping up into high ISOs, especially in the summer when the foliage returns. Clear shots unobstructed by an errant branch are few and far between, which can be very frustrating. Winter is fairly nice, except for the birds see you coming a mile away; summer can be rough, featuring high humidity and legions of ticks and mosquitos.

A male Northern Cardinal is a shot of color in an otherwise bleak winter forest-scape:

HOSTED PHOTO

So too, are the fox:

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014

Feb 17, 2020 14:58 |  #1235

MatthewK wrote in post #19010841 (external link)
Both of these shots exhibit the sort of brushy, bramble-thicket woodland that I regularly shoot in. Very challenging for camera AF systems, and you're always bumping up into high ISOs, especially in the summer when the foliage returns. Clear shots unobstructed by an errant branch are few and far between, which can be very frustrating. Winter is fairly nice, except for the birds see you coming a mile away; summer can be rough, featuring high humidity and legions of ticks and mosquitos.

A male Northern Cardinal is a shot of color in an otherwise bleak winter forest-scape:

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by MatthewK in
./showthread.php?p=190​10841&i=i191421793
forum: Nikon Lenses

So too, are the fox:
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​10841&i=i140495882

Those look familiar (except the beautiful Fox!). That's pretty much what it's like here too.

Momma took the 500PF for a Landscape test... Lol!

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49549535811_4dd6f00b91_h.jpg

IMAGE: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49549765602_89adb289f3_h.jpg

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2020 17:41 |  #1236

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19011337 (external link)
Those look familiar (except the beautiful Fox!). That's pretty much what it's like here too.

Momma took the 500PF for a Landscape test... Lol!

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

You all (sorry... ya'll) got mountains though!

Texas is such a beautiful state, wish I would have had some more time to explore. We didn't get nearly enough time out as we'd have liked, so chances are another visit will happen someday. From what I read, don't sleep on Texas when it comes to birding either... everyone loves Florida, but the Lone Star state is right up there when it comes to species diversity!

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 17, 2020 17:59 |  #1237

Today was absolutely gorgeous outside too, for the second day in a row. It seems as though the birds like warmer temps, because they were out in force, enough to where almost made up for all of the cruddy outings I've had the past 3 months :rolleyes: Didn't come away with too many keepers, but I was just happy to be able to put AF points on some birds.

HOSTED PHOTO

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,616 posts
Gallery: 706 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 18, 2020 08:25 |  #1238

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19010632 (external link)
Wifey spotted the 1st Verdin we're ever encountered.

QUOTED IMAGE

Very nice Phil!
Got roadrunner,and verdin in Arizona a few years back,and it was quite the treat,especially the verdin!

DENIS
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/mandokid1/ (external link)
7-Dmk11 5-D Mark 11.5D mark 111
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,616 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 18, 2020 08:26 |  #1239

MatthewK wrote in post #19010701 (external link)
When things get scarce, I can always count on the Hermit Thrush to buoy me until warmer months arrive.

Love the pose on the first one!

DENIS
Canon 100 macro, Canon MPE-65, Canon 16-35,24-70,70-200,300 F4,and Sigma 150-600 dg sport

Chris1966
103 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966. (7 edits in all)

Feb 19, 2020 18:42 |  #1240

Was out shooting Smew with a fellow birder who shot a Canon crop body with the 100-400II lens. The light changed and he stopped shooting because he felt the shots would no longer be worth it, and I had to agree with him based on my own 7DII. But as I now had the Nikon D500, I still went on for a bit before we went off to search for a few goldfinches.
Not meaning to speak ill of Canon, it's much more nuanced than that, and what a lens that 400DOII is, but the 7DII is just só long overdue for replacement (sensor wise) that it gives me freedom to have the Nikon D500 around for the coming years until Canon finally works out what to do about the 7DII replacement :rolleyes:

The main issue is that the 7DII cannot handle difficult light, and you are forced to always search for optimal light, which I ultimately found too much off a constraint on my freedom to go out shooting when I feel like it, instead of only when the light is perfect. With the Nikon D500, I now have back the freedom to work on the images in post. There is much more to say about how the combo's compare, but for now I am not ready to "dump" my Canon set yet, and besides, the people on this thread have gone through it all before me anyhow... :-D

HOSTED PHOTO

Chris1966
103 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966.

Feb 19, 2020 18:52 |  #1241

MatthewK wrote in post #19011419 (external link)
Today was absolutely gorgeous outside too, for the second day in a row. It seems as though the birds like warmer temps, because they were out in force, enough to where almost made up for all of the cruddy outings I've had the past 3 months :rolleyes: Didn't come away with too many keepers, but I was just happy to be able to put AF points on some birds.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​11419&i=i191595212

Wow, you must have gotten close here, beautiful shot. You should tell me your secret! ;-)a

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,462 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 19, 2020 19:51 |  #1242

Chris1966 wrote in post #19012700 (external link)
Wow, you must have gotten close here, beautiful shot. You should tell me your secret! ;-)a

Thank you, Chris!

These White Breasted Nuthatches are one of the few birds that will come super close, as they are super curious at times. On the rare good days, like this one, quite often they come in too close, well under MFD. So, I just drop the camera and enjoy their company.

The secret? Ha, if I had any secrets I wouldn't have gone three months with hardly any photos to show :oops: Going out as often as possible, seeing which trees they prefer, and then stationing myself around those trees until they come calling. Sit perfectly still for a few hours, contemplate life, and eventually you get lucky. Winter birds are a "sit and wait for them to come to you" scenario, because they see you coming from a mile away, and won't give you the time of day. Thus, I try to "get ahead" of the group: try to predict where they'll go, and then get there first. Bring a small camping chair or sit back against a tree, and wait.

HOSTED PHOTO

EyeSpyEagle
Goldmember
2,197 posts
Joined Sep 2014
Post edited 1 month ago by EyeSpyEagle.

Feb 19, 2020 22:03 |  #1243

Finally getting to "Day 3" of our getaway now...

I just can't get over how beautiful these little guys were.

HOSTED PHOTO

PhilM
Nikon fledgling....

Chris1966
103 posts
Joined Apr 2019
Post edited 1 month ago by Chris1966. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2020 04:40 |  #1244

MatthewK wrote in post #19012724 (external link)
Thank you, Chris!

These White Breasted Nuthatches are one of the few birds that will come super close, as they are super curious at times. On the rare good days, like this one, quite often they come in too close, well under MFD. So, I just drop the camera and enjoy their company.

The secret? Ha, if I had any secrets I wouldn't have gone three months with hardly any photos to show :oops: Going out as often as possible, seeing which trees they prefer, and then stationing myself around those trees until they come calling. Sit perfectly still for a few hours, contemplate life, and eventually you get lucky. Winter birds are a "sit and wait for them to come to you" scenario, because they see you coming from a mile away, and won't give you the time of day. Thus, I try to "get ahead" of the group: try to predict where they'll go, and then get there first. Bring a small camping chair or sit back against a tree, and wait.

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=190​12724&i=i255386475

Nice to read about your experience Matthew. So we all have our ways, solutions and "tricks" to get close to birds! Where I live (in the Netherlands in North Western Europe), civilization has claimed almost all of the land, and even our forests and woodlands our cultivated and small. Agriculture has intensively exploited the main parts of the non-inhabited land in the last 60 years, and sadly many of our birds have vanished and/or are dwindling in numbers.
Next to that, Europe, and mainly mediterranean Europe, has a long tradition, going back centuries, of shooting migrating birds out of the air for sport or consumption. (hope you are still with me and not stopped reading because of getting depressed :rolleyes:).
This has led to two types of birds in my country, that is halfway off one of the largest bird migration routes: domesticated birds that are easily approached, and "wild" birds that are notoriously shy of people and stay well out of reach of even a 600mmm lens. We have a lot of birding hides here, and these are about the only way to get up close to a lot of birds. Just walking around in woodlands, you may start to believe there are no birds at all, only hearing them in the distance.

There is one area that is an exception and that is the area that started me birding in the first place. They are the Frisian Isles, a number of small isles that have a unique tidal system that floods a large part of land twice every 24hrs and also exposes it twice every 24hrs, resulting in an abundance of seafood. These isles are directly situated halfway the large bird migration route, and so a large number of migrating birds that breed in the (virtually uninhabited) upper north of Europe, and spend the winter in north and central Africa, stop at these isles and stay for two weeks to restore their body fat before resuming the migration.
Totally shy of people, there are still some tricks that allow you to get close, and one of mine is using the rising or setting sun in my back as a camouflage, where the bird only sees my silhouette, and if sitting motionless may wander off in my direction.
That is how I got the below shot of my favorite duck, the Eider. It still took me 784mm on crop though!

HOSTED PHOTO

mandokid1
Cream of the Crop
13,616 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 20, 2020 07:39 |  #1245

EyeSpyEagle wrote in post #19012770 (external link)
Finally getting to "Day 3" of our getaway now...

I just can't get over ow beautiful these little guys were.

Love these guys!
They remind me so much of warblers,as they don't sit very long,and are very small!

DENIS

sponsored links

126,051 views & 3,256 likes for this thread
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Lens !!
FORUMS Nikon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Nikon Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.